Why become a member? ×

Mick Karn plays Sledgehammer

blamelouis

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='707958' date='Jan 10 2010, 06:16 PM']I've got the whole performance on DVD, Mick Karns playing on Colin Vearcombe/Black singing Wonderful Life is really nice too.[/quote]

Steve!!! PM coming your way!! - I remember we discussed this ages ago - but I LOVE Colin's performance - and Brian May's guitar solo in the song is still one of my favourites, ever!

[quote name='Rayman' post='707996' date='Jan 10 2010, 06:48 PM']Fabulous bass tone, love it.[/quote]

I've been wondering exactly what it was that Karn's tone and style reminds me of. Serendipitously (now there's the word of the day!) I was watching The Clangers with my daughter this evening when all became clear...

It's the Soup Dragon!! :)

[quote name='Conan' post='709188' date='Jan 11 2010, 07:06 PM']I've been wondering exactly what it was that Karn's tone and style reminds me of. Serendipitously (now there's the word of the day!) I was watching The Clangers with my daughter this evening when all became clear...

It's the Soup Dragon!! :rolleyes:[/quote]
Hey don't diss the KARN ! :)

Can't help it but I had expected to have a more "Karn"-esque bass-line. His unusual frasing and manierisms would easily fit this tune (especially at the end) but he keeps it a bit too tidy. This dancing routine by Gabriel is terrible (clearly a case of white men who aren't use to dance who do ridiculous attempts)

[quote name='wombatboter' post='709480' date='Jan 11 2010, 11:11 PM']This dancing routine by Gabriel is terrible (clearly a case of white men who aren't use to dance who do ridiculous attempts)[/quote]

Ha, ha! Yes - or like having a fit on stage like Ian Curtis ... :)

Edited by spiritchaser

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='707861' date='Jan 10 2010, 04:59 PM']Phil Collins = Great drummer.[/quote]

Unmistakably him.

Are there 2 drummers?
I seem to remember Mark.. *pauses to google surname*.. Brzezicki from Big Country doing stuff like this- their styles are similar with overfills and big kit sounds etc

[quote name='chardbass' post='715788' date='Jan 17 2010, 04:57 PM']Unmistakably him.

Are there 2 drummers?
I seem to remember Mark.. *pauses to google surname*.. Brzezicki from Big Country doing stuff like this- their styles are similar with overfills and big kit sounds etc[/quote]

Was Mark from Big Country not just at the 1987 one? Here he is playing at the 1987 Princes Trust.

Mark Brzezicki and Mark King on the same stage...awesome...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuWaHFDY2FY&feature=PlayList&p=2E333342745A154A&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=26"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuWaHFDY2FY...PL&index=26[/url]

Furthermore, Brzezicki is probably the world's most underrated drummer, even on "The Crossing" he was light years ahead of pretty much everyone except Neil Peart and the fusion elite.

Edited by Chris2112

Saw Mark Brzezicki with FTJ last year, great Drummer and a good choice by Bruce Foxton as he scrapes every last $$ out of those old Jam tracks!

For more Mick and his Wal, check this out, it's the guitarists gig and Mick was a guest as he's one of Sugizo's favourate musicians!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O63pPSrW-Co&feature=related"]can't embed you tube?[/url]

Tony