Why become a member? ×

Has genre ever made you change your bass?

HMX

[quote name='HMX' post='706358' date='Jan 9 2010, 10:45 AM']Perhaps so, yes. I mean I just do feel like a change after 2 years, and I've been after a Fender for a while, it's my next step up on the bass ladder. Hopefully I can get a used MIJ or MIA Precision for around £400-550.

How does a Spector neck compare to a Precision?[/quote]

I use a spector now in my function band and find it very flexible.

I use a spector 5 string and the neck feels much slimmer than my MIJ/MIM cross fender precision 4 string, which by the way is for sale for £300 (shameless plug). I used to use P basses in my youth in the late 70's and thought I'd revisit those years, but sadly I've grown used to slimmer necks.
On the sound front the P bass is very distinctive and not so flexible IMHO, but then I'm old and my ears are knackered!

[quote name='Rich' post='706352' date='Jan 9 2010, 10:38 AM']If I joined a proper tribute band, I'd consider getting the 'correct' bass. As long as it wasn't something I detested, anyway :)[/quote]

Which is what I did - the EpiEx for the ZZ band. I try not to detest it !!!

So far as the blues band goes - I'm just as likely to play my headless Status as a vintage Precision depending what I feel like. I'm not really bothered if it's the 'wrong' bass or what anybody thinks. End of the day , though , you play what you like to play for the job you do. If that means a shopping trip - go for it.

I joined a classic rock covers band when I first got out playing live and at the time I had a J bass. I bought a SUB as this seemed far more appropriate, although this was probably just an excuse to exercise some GAS.

I have definitely changed guitars dependant on what genre of band I was in. Getting a Gretsch when I was in a rockabilly band was one of the best purchases I ever made. Unfortunately I had to sell this to finance the SUB.

I ditched my Bongo when I realised I could never gig it with the sort of vintage Fender/Marshall-laden blues bands I was playing with. My sparkly blue Modulus Flea would no doubt have met a similar fate had it not needed a repair and a respray anyway

C

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='706318' date='Jan 9 2010, 09:47 AM']Of course there's the other musicians (oops, sorry, you said drummer) prejudices - I didn't get a gig because I didn't have a traditional Fender![/quote]
Their loss. Seems a little extreme though, not to get a gig because you don't have a particular bass. Very odd.

I really like my Ibby and the strap (mainly because the kids got it for me). I point blank refuse to not play any genre that tickles me fancy. :)

Yep very much. In my old band (guitar punk pop) I would play a Fender Precision with a pick. Nice big fat driving sound. I then played in a folk/indy/pop group and moved to a Jazz with fingers to get a nice smooth clean tone. I did try my Stingray but it seemed too clunky and not smooth enough. I also have a Warwick Corvette on order which I hope will give me a very tight punchy sound with fingers. If I ever went back to playing punky stuff then I would buy a Precision.

I play in a hardcore/metal band (play in drop C) and my Peavey Jazz bass, whilst heavy enough, doesn't quite sound right for me. So that's why I'm getting after an OLP/Stingray because that tone is what I want. I would get a Fender but the cuts aren't deep enough and it doesn't suit my playing style for this music as much. For punk, they're spot on.

And I can't stand those twangy stereotypical metal basses 15 year olds play. The Ibanez types and whatnot, they sound disgusting!

[quote name='whimsy23' post='706691' date='Jan 9 2010, 04:05 PM']I play in a hardcore/metal band (play in drop C) and my Peavey Jazz bass, whilst heavy enough, doesn't quite sound right for me. So that's why I'm getting after an OLP/Stingray because that tone is what I want. I would get a Fender but the cuts aren't deep enough and it doesn't suit my playing style for this music as much. For punk, they're spot on.

And I can't stand those twangy stereotypical metal basses 15 year olds play. The Ibanez types and whatnot, they sound disgusting![/quote]

Interesting you say the Stingray is perfect for punk. I found the total oppersite and found it too twangy, especially with a pick. I found a Precision with a pick is perfect for punk.

[quote name='Linus27' post='706715' date='Jan 9 2010, 04:37 PM']Interesting you say the Stingray is perfect for punk. I found the total oppersite and found it too twangy, especially with a pick. I found a Precision with a pick is perfect for punk.[/quote]

I meant the Fenders are perfect for punk! :)