Why become a member? ×

If markbass were heavy

lojo

If lightweight had never happened, and Markbass weighed the same as all the other classic ranges of amps and cabs we know and love (or hate), do you think they would have muscled there way into being a well known brand of bass equipment?

Edited by lojo

never played with a LM... I don't really think of an amp being heavy unless its uncomfortable to carry more than 100m... or up and down stairs... for which weight isn't the main problem really unless it's a big valve amp.

Edited by bigjohn

Not at all.

I own 2 Markbass cabs that replaced an Ampeg cab I used to own.

I would have stuck with the Ampeg by choice.
Only upgrade I would have considered was a Mesa powerhouse cab.

However, I injured myself lifing the Ampeg bass cabs up and down the stairs to my flat.
I literally checked every cab manufacturer I could find, -the Markbass traveler series were the lightest.
Thus I ended up with them!

My sound certainly isn't any the worse for it!
:)

when I am recently came back to bass after 20 years off I replaced
my ancient valve amp (Selmer!) with a LM II plus Markbass cabs.
Light, reliable, and basically the sound of your bass loud.

I've now bought a secondhand EBS TD650, and the improvement in sound quality
and flexibility is massive, with the same basses through the same
MB cabs. While the TD 650 is best known for slapping and clarity,
it really does everything superbly, including warm old school P bass
much better than the LM II.

while markbass does what it promises very competently, and is an innovative company,
there are definitely better sounding albeit heavier heads out there

but maybe an EBS microbass and/or EBS valvedrive into the LM II
would bring some of the same sound improvements and flexibility, at a fraction of the weight ?

for sure the many choices available now seem a lot better than most of what
was available 20 years ago

(incidentally, the Markbass cabs sound great with the EBS TD650, despite rarely being praised)

I have a MarkBass SA450, not tiny in size but yes it's light in weight. To be honest I woul pick it in sound and tone over most it's opposition putting weight aside. It sounds fantastic. Weight is a bonus, but I'd still
use it.

Only 'heavy' head I'd swap it for now is an EBS Fafner or TD650.

Markbass cabs are fantastic as well to be honest. I was a 6x10 owner and it sounded a lot cleaner than my ampeg 8x10. I consider Markbass to be all round great. And if I end up with the move to an EBS head I'm sure I will
miss part of the SA450 tone.

Would Mark Bass be as popular if they weren't lightweight? Probably not, I'm sure they would have made some in roads into the market, but not nearly as much as they currently enjoy. I got my LMII mainly for its size and weight (and recommendations from a couple of friends) in place of my Ashdown ABM 320 which was low on clear headroom anywhere beyond 2 o'clock on the master. The LMII is 500watts and is clear even when wide open which was a huge plus even though it doean't get used beyond 11 o'clock. I also prefer the simplified eq, which to be fair stays mainly flat. Would I have bought the LMII because of the headroom and eq if it was heavy? Probably not, I would have probably stuck with Ashdown and got a more powerful head.

Difficult question to answer really as Markbass were at the forefront of switchmode power supplies being used and their vision certainly paid off giving them a great marketing tool that made people go out and try their amps. I reckon that the majority of people with one of their amps would not have purchased Markbass if they didn't sound good, but equally people with perfectly good amps are unlikely to have bought one to replace their current equipment if they didn't the weight benefit. It is likely that Markbass caused us bass players to spend more on equipment than we would have done had there not been this revolution with true good sounding lightweight gear.

It's interesting to note that they have retained their reputation and status (and probably sales) when the competition has got a lot stiffer with Eden/EA/Ashdown/Genz Benz et al got into the game.

Edited by alanbass1

[quote name='Uncle Balsamic' post='704687' date='Jan 7 2010, 08:02 PM']I think stuff like the LMII or F1 would still be popular. Good sounding heads IMO; people don't love them just because of the size (though that is nice).[/quote]

I bought my LMII two years ago and have never looked back. I don't even think about other amps now. That's how much I like it. It ticks all my boxes (except no mute switch - I use a pedal). Easy to EQ, sounds great, is reliable, and lightweight. I pair it up with either one or two Bergantino 12's and it sounds incredible. Small rig - Big sound. I look at players schlepping around traditional big rigs to pub/clubs and wonder why... The Genz Benz Shuttles are great too.