Why become a member? ×

Drum N Bass/Dubstep

Jarhead

Question: has anyone heard Chris Cornell's song 'Part of me'? it has a killer synth-bass-esque groove on it. I'd like to approximate that sound. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might achieve this sound. I already have the OC2 and a Copilot Orbit (not useful for this sound) but I suspect a LPF is necessary to get closer.

[quote name='mcgraham' post='1300767' date='Jul 12 2011, 11:16 AM']Question: has anyone heard Chris Cornell's song 'Part of me'? it has a killer synth-bass-esque groove on it. I'd like to approximate that sound. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might achieve this sound. I already have the OC2 and a Copilot Orbit (not useful for this sound) but I suspect a LPF is necessary to get closer.[/quote]

Can you link to the version you're listening too. There seems to be 3 album versions (on different regional album releases), a rock version, dance version, 2 radio edits and more...

Anyone else here using a [url="http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/products/adrenalinn3/adrenalinn3.html"]Linn Adrenalinn[/url]?

It's most effective if you are using something with a MIDI clock as your master timing device. Each preset allows 2 bar long morphs, so there should be plenty of variety available.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1305571' date='Jul 16 2011, 10:47 AM']Anyone else here using a [url="http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/products/adrenalinn3/adrenalinn3.html"]Linn Adrenalinn[/url]?

It's most effective if you are using something with a MIDI clock as your master timing device. Each preset allows 2 bar long morphs, so there should be plenty of variety available.[/quote]

Dan_Owens uses one... Still never had the chance to try one...

And the BEF pro is out soon. Im thinking ill get one. They say $213 retail so it might be a tad cheaper.

Also when using something like the boss splitter do you have to have another to join the signals back together? Im thinking of putting an octave down and fuzz in one and everything else i.e moog, distortion and chorus in the other.

[quote name='fatgoogle' post='1306099' date='Jul 16 2011, 07:20 PM']And the BEF pro is out soon. Im thinking ill get one. They say $213 retail so it might be a tad cheaper.

Also when using something like the boss splitter do you have to have another to join the signals back together? Im thinking of putting an octave down and fuzz in one and everything else i.e moog, distortion and chorus in the other.[/quote]

Do you mean the LS2 Line Selector? If so... You just need the one pedal!

If so... Make sure it's on the A+B Mix setting.
Bass goes into input.
One loop of pedals (say octave and fuzz) goes out of channel A send and back to channel A return.
2nd loop of pedals (the rest of them) goes out of channel B send and back to channel B return.
Output goes to amp.

You'll get both 'sounds' along side each other, rather than a mix of running 1 pedal into another, so the octave and fuzz won't interact with the moog, chorus etc and visa versa. You then use the channel A & B volume knobs to balance the two loop levels as you want.

Yeah I have an Adrenalinn and for TB303-type step filtering it's amazing. Also the LFO-controlled VCA stuff is unbelievable for the Taio Cruz/Prodigy-type cut up guitar.

As has been mentioned, all the band needs to be tempo-locked via MIDI but with thebrokendoor we all are.

Dan

[quote name='DanOwens' post='1306680' date='Jul 17 2011, 02:07 PM']Yeah I have an Adrenalinn and for TB303-type step filtering it's amazing. Also the LFO-controlled VCA stuff is unbelievable for the Taio Cruz/Prodigy-type cut up guitar.

As has been mentioned, all the band needs to be tempo-locked via MIDI but with thebrokendoor we all are.

Dan[/quote]

If we get these gigs sorted later in the year I'd definitely like to have a play with the Adrenalinn…

I'm finding I need to re-think our midi clock generator… The Red Sound Voyager kicks ass but only does 90-180bpm… And I need 80 now! dammit! lol

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1308189' date='Jul 18 2011, 06:22 PM']If we get these gigs sorted later in the year I'd definitely like to have a play with the Adrenalinn…

I'm finding I need to re-think our midi clock generator… The Red Sound Voyager kicks ass but only does 90-180bpm… And I need 80 now! dammit! lol[/quote]
160 then run everything at 1/2 notes instead? :) bit of a bodge, but could work. Soon enough my band will be synced up, possibly, by MIDI, although the extra leads may mean we just sync everything up to the click track our drummer will be using and go from there.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1311092' date='Jul 21 2011, 07:33 AM']The voyager doesn't do clock division... So that's not an option :)[/quote]
If the clock won't divide down will your pedals divide up?

i.e. if your pedal time division is 1/4 notes set it to 1/8 notes instead.

BTW next time there's a Nottingham bass Bash remind me to bring my Adrenalinn so you can have a go.

One of the pedals does (MP-201... Does every division going), bit another - Boss Slicer does not. In normal circumstances I'd chain it offend MP-201, however that's already driving an LFO @ 160 and I need the slicer @ 80 at the same time... The Slice takes tap tempo as well which is working 'fine' - but I'd still like to look at other alternatives

OK so it's not drum and bass but it's the sound I want. If anyone remembers a few weeks back me trying terribly to identify the sound I wanted, well it took a trip in the car with my dad to figure it out.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPudE8nDog0&ob=av2e"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPudE8nDog0&ob=av2e[/url]

I want a cleaner, bassier version of the sound in the intro. That can be done with EQ, but the raw effect is what I'm after. I'd tweak it slightly to make it a bit more like the video game and dubmood sound I was on about before, but this is as close to the sound as I've heard. Note some remixes/masters of the above song have the cleaner sound I'm after, though I couldn't find the right one on youtube.

So, ideas, how do I get this sound?

[quote name='dc2009' post='1316410' date='Jul 25 2011, 10:19 PM']a ) Can I put a bass through it
b ) £155 :)[/quote]
a ) I don't think you can (though you could put your bass through a moog or a Korg MS-20.
b ) £155 for a VST version. The original synth was @ £4k back in the early 80s, so you could maybe double that at least!

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1316319' date='Jul 25 2011, 09:27 PM']Sounds like either a Square or Pulse wave is what you're trying to produce.
A Markbass Supersynth might get you close, Shep should be able to shed some light on that though.[/quote]

Hmmmmm…. Yes and no. The Super Synth can do most wave forms, but its not as easy as just 'picking a wave form'. While the pedal is very versatile you have to manually tune 3 Oscillators amongst other settings and as things tweak, the different components of the sound are created…

All the sounds at the start of that vid are keys… and while bass synth techniques get you close, you're never going to get that tone without using keys… or maybe Taurus pedals. OC-2, Slow Chorus and lots of top end on the EQ maybe?

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1316927' date='Jul 26 2011, 12:55 PM']Hmmmmm…. Yes and no. The Super Synth can do most wave forms, but its not as easy as just 'picking a wave form'. While the pedal is very versatile you have to manually tune 3 Oscillators amongst other settings and as things tweak, the different components of the sound are created…

All the sounds at the start of that vid are keys… and while bass synth techniques get you close, you're never going to get that tone without using keys… or maybe Taurus pedals. OC-2, Slow Chorus and lots of top end on the EQ maybe?[/quote]

Any specific Taurus pedals?

I was aware it was keys, and am also aware that the best way to do this on a bass would be with one of those Peavey midi controller basses into a thing like that VST xgsjx showed me. I would like to try and get close on my normal basses, so which Taurus pedals are the ones to get? Thanks for the tips by the way, seems worth trying.

Might be better & cheaper going for a Roland VB system rather than spashing out a small fortune on moog Taurus pedals.

There was moog T3s in the For Sales for £1250, but I think they're gone. New, they're @ £2k.