Why become a member? ×

Drum N Bass/Dubstep

Jarhead

Thanks for all the info on this thread.

I recorded with Z-Bias the other week. A thoroughly decent chap, and amazing to watch creating stuff from scratch on Cubase - I didn't realise he was one of Dubstep's inventors at the time. I used my 62 CIJ P-Bass straight in to the desk. He loved it (heh - at least he said he did) - if he releases summat I'll post a link.

I should have read this thread first - I didn't take any effects, and assumed he will do some magic with plugins afterwards. I hope he does - I'd like to hear my p-bass dubstepped-up!

So thought I'd get a little demo of my pedal board up, did this very quickly tonight just to give an example of some of the sounds I'm using.
It goes in 8 bar segments, each time layering an effect up.
[b]PLAY THROUGH DECENT SPEAKERS/HEADPHONES[/b] - With my KRK headphones the mix sounds fine, just through laptop speakers, you can barely hear the bass.

1st section: Clean
2nd: OC-2 - no direct signal
3rd: Resonance filter pedal
4th: USA Big Muff (silver guitar one)
5th: Slow Gear on low E (subtle but cool)

The drums are EQ'd slightly, but the bass signal is completely dry within Logic...all sounds and tone are coming from the pedal board.

So yeah, shoddy recording (especially a buzzy cable) and playing, but gives you an idea of what I'm achieving with the ME-50B, an Octave pedal and a fuzz pedal :)
I'm hoping the Orbit will give me some extra fun options when it arrives, and I'm still playing around with some delay sounds...but they're not ready yet :)

Cheers
Si

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1284841' date='Jun 28 2011, 01:02 AM']Damn you Sibob, now I really want an OC2! :)

Good selection of sounds you're producing there & I like the bassline, shows off the sounds well.[/quote]

Cheers buddy :)
Its just a loop of Eastern Jam by Chase & Status.....check it out, absolute tune!

Si

Sibob - I just had a listen at home. That sounds ace! I sold my OC2 thinking the octave down on my whammy was good enough, which it is for what I was using it for, but now I really want that sound back - when you have the whammy with no dry signal it's just not as cool.

Are you using compression on the boss?

The big muff sounds like it's set very low gain, which is why you're getting plenty of low end IMO. It's a cool sound though! A bass muff or some other dirt pedal at the end of your chain (after the silver big muff) to add some fuzz would be delicious!

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1285556' date='Jun 28 2011, 07:12 PM']Sibob - I just had a listen at home. That sounds ace! I sold my OC2 thinking the octave down on my whammy was good enough, which it is for what I was using it for, but now I really want that sound back - when you have the whammy with no dry signal it's just not as cool.

Are you using compression on the boss?

The big muff sounds like it's set very low gain, which is why you're getting plenty of low end IMO. It's a cool sound though! A bass muff or some other dirt pedal at the end of your chain (after the silver big muff) to add some fuzz would be delicious![/quote]

I do have some compression on the ME-50b, but not a lot, I'll check the setting when I get home.
Yeah the Muff is the lowest gain setting, not because if bass drop-off though, just because it's the 'tightest' sound, when my gated fuzz arrives, I'll be able to explore some higher gain tones with the same tight sound.

Si

Just got to try out the Behringer synth pedal which I got on the cheap off a nice bloke in BC marketplace, gave it a quick run through, then I did what any of us would do, and ran it into my SYB-5, the results were downright filth. Currently trying to configure my audacity (I recorded a sample) to show it to you guys.

Try this, please note I wasn't trying to play anything, just making notes and twiddling knobs by hand to make sounds. Also, my amp was probably a fraction too loud for my terrible built in laptop mic that this was recorded on (the sound in my room was seriously huge and bassy, I can vouch for that!).

I like that very last sound you make (the 2nd last note especially). Very PWM & with a bit more bass to it would sound tremendous!
You could split your signal & put 1 side thru those 2 pedals & then pop the other side thru a little fuzz & then the Qtron with no wah effect to roll off all the top (use it kinda like an LPF, if that's possible) & then merge the signals again.

Thanks guys, I think it sounds promising. I haven't got anything else in the line either so hopefully with a bit of a better think about my set up and some more experience I'll write/perform something more constructive than just that collection of noises. xgsjx, the possibilities of getting the q-tron in there are exciting me, I'm thinking the boss overdrive into it, I'm on the hunt for an EHX russian muff as my last bit of kit though, that would be more ideal tbh.

I'm non-experienced when it comes to splitting and merging signals, is it cheap, effective and easy enough to do? If I took a recording from mic and DI (getting ahead of myself here), I could put two of them between the bass and the amp, and then the other two through the fx send/return and set the DI to take the sound before the eq stage, meaning it would only take the two in the line and not the two in the fx loop, which would be picked up via mic?

Does your Sansamp not have an output & a parallel output also for running a dry signal? If so, there's your splitter.
You'll need a mixer of some sort to merge them back together. Just now I'm using a Alesis 8 channel mixer sat on top of my amp to sum the channels back together, but I do plan on getting a dedicated pedal on my board (probably from SilentFly) tho it is some time away :)
I'm using a Moog Bass Murf to split the channels & get some very interesting effects. I'll make a video one day soon on how I do it & post it.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1295487' date='Jul 7 2011, 12:15 AM']Does your Sansamp not have an output & a parallel output also for running a dry signal? If so, there's your splitter.
You'll need a mixer of some sort to merge them back together. Just now I'm using a Alesis 8 channel mixer sat on top of my amp to sum the channels back together, but I do plan on getting a dedicated pedal on my board (probably from SilentFly) tho it is some time away :)
I'm using a Moog Bass Murf to split the channels & get some very interesting effects. I'll make a video one day soon on how I do it & post it.[/quote]
Awesome, my sansamp does have a splitter :-)
I'm broke like the greek economy at the moment though so necessary cables and mixer will have to wait for the timebeing

I know the feeling. My funds make are somewhat missing too. :)
If you've got a soldering iron, then a couple of 1/4 jacks & a bit of cable can be sourced for fairly little & behringer do a small line mixer for @£20-25 (I can't even afford the jacks just now).

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1295539' date='Jul 7 2011, 01:06 AM']I know the feeling. My funds make are somewhat missing too. :)
If you've got a soldering iron, then a couple of 1/4 jacks & a bit of cable can be sourced for fairly little & behringer do a small line mixer for @£20-25 (I can't even afford the jacks just now).[/quote]

I'm the same money wise, but I can nick my housemates soldering iron and do it at some point, I think the priority has to be the room change around first (requires ripping out the built in desk and buying a new one for a different part of the room). I'm handy enough soldering so will sort it on my own at some point. that's if I don't slim down my gear for funds first, contemplating moving on the q-tron tbh.

Lots of you have heard it already (and a few of you have downloaded it as well!) but to 'celebrate' the fact that my electronica project has got as far as being able to afford to record a 2nd EP (!) we are doing a promo give away of 100 free download copies of our 'Subscapes' EP.

Either 'like' us on facebook, 'friend' us on Myspace or 'follow' us on twitter and get in touch via one of them (quick message/email/post) and we'll give you a link and code for a free download of the EP.

[url="http://www.facebook.com/ourhelicalmind"]http://www.facebook.com/ourhelicalmind[/url]
[url="http://www.myspace.com/ourhelicalmind"]http://www.myspace.com/ourhelicalmind[/url]
[url="http://twitter.com/#!/OurHelicalMind"]http://twitter.com/#!/OurHelicalMind[/url]

New EP recording taking place last weekend of the month - really excited about it!

Shep