Why become a member? ×

Drum N Bass/Dubstep

Jarhead

soundclip of whammy, oc-2, source audio b.e.f. and occasional octavius squeezer and mxr blowtorch.

excuse the sloppy playing, that's not what it was about.

[attachment=76670:Si_edited_4.mp3]

also the recording was a mic recording from a zoom h2 which Shep has kindly boosted for me.

Edited by pantherairsoft

hey guys im new to fx pedals but im starting to want to imitate dnb (dark and heavy), dub and dubstep bass lines so i was thinking of getting a bass to MIDI box and sending the midi signal threw a synthesizer in logic and also getting a Behringer BSY600 and using that with a foot pedal, just wondering if any one could see any problems or give me an insight into these devices?
thanks

Latency is not your friend. Software tends to have some latency that means you need to play about a 16th-32nd in front of what you're listening to unless you've got a pretty decent mac/pc.
I've never tried a Behringer BSY600, so couldn't comment there.

ok do u think a smaller program would reduce the latency because logic is a pretty big program, reason maybe?, i would be using a 2ghz mac book 2 gbs ram with an m- audio firewire solo external sound card do u think that would be able to cope?
if not i could still use the laptop setup for a after rumble effect maybe?
thanks

In computers, Latency is dictated by the type of audio interface used and the quality of the drivers the manufacturer creates.
USB soundcards have larger inherent latencies compared to a PCIexpress based soundcard.
So Logic will be no better or worse compared to Reason, as it's predominantly a hardware issue as opposed to the make of the software.
Your system should be fine for recording.
The Behringer might sound ok, but it's flimsy plastic and Behringer has poor quality control, so I wouldn't want to rely on it.

yea this link got me onto the behringer
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JYmf5qRHDI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JYmf5qRHDI[/url]

xgsjx good point i havent tested my mac with any midi interface cuz its quite new.
hardware synth module sounds good to less faffing about getting set up

[quote name='Mugz.wood' post='1191963' date='Apr 7 2011, 05:00 PM']yea this link got me onto the behringer
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JYmf5qRHDI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JYmf5qRHDI[/url]

xgsjx good point i havent tested my mac with any midi interface cuz its quite new.
hardware synth module sounds good to less faffing about getting set up[/quote]

Read my blog in my sig for some tips with MIDI and synth bass. I've used a variety of hardware and software synths but only hardware live. Putting a laptop on stage brings with it issues that can be avoided by using hardware.

Dan

Ok so just a quick little demo I just knocked up using a couple of my pedals. I want to get into some LFO stuff eventually, but until budget allows I can't do much!

This is my Fender/Allparts passive jazz, going into an Aguilar Octamizer with the clean signal completely off. Then I kick in an XBlender with a Swollen Pickle clone and Subdecay Proteus in the loop. The second sound I switch to is exactly the same, I just go from the sample and hold mode into filter mode on the Proteus. It's set as more of an EQ shaper than a filter, just emphasizing certain frequencies.

I know it's not fantastic, as I've never really done anything in the drum and bass/dubstep vein, but I'd like to get into it so all comments and criticism will be graciously accepted! :)

[url="http://soundcloud.com/higgie142/dnb"]DNB Track[/url]
[url="http://soundcloud.com/higgie142/dnb-bass"]DNB (Bass track only)[/url]

Let me know what you think!

Edited by Higgie

[quote name='Higgie' post='1195838' date='Apr 11 2011, 03:36 PM']I know it's not fantastic, as I've never really done anything in the drum and bass/dubstep vein, but I'd like to get into it so all comments and criticism will be graciously accepted! :)[/quote]

Hey Higgie. What software are you using? Your beats could just be replaced with loops that'd satisfy your sonic preconceptions, enabling a more authentic performance (at the mo it sounds neither DnB nor Dubstep).

Also, throw a chorus in there. It'll add a lot of sonic depth and the modulation can add to the sense of motion in the piece.

Dan

I'm currently using Reaper, still getting to grips with it really, so just chucked a quick beat together and added a couple of variations.

My Analogman Chorus isn't on my board at the mo, which is the only reason I didn't use it. I'll go get it and record something! Maybe get a bit of analog delay in there?

Cheers for the crits.

Ive been playing with the behringer bsy-600 and expression pedal and evn though i have nothing to compare it with i thought id post my thoughts on it:

First of all both the pedal and expression do feel a bit flimsy and not complelty solid but theyve held up to my big ungainly feet so far. Alos the expression pedal rocks a huge distance which makes a bit awkward to control while standing up especially when stanbding up.

The amount of different sounds though is amazing. Some of them do sound slightly simialar but with the frequency knob and others, many sounds can be coaxed. You defiantly do need the epxression pedal to get the best results out of it. It doesnt trakc well when you try and cram more notes in but that was fine with me as you can let the expression pedal do most of the work. Another feature i really like is the direct out, so i can do my wobbles and also have an uneffected overdrive running which i like.

One really annoying thing is, maybe its just mine, but its really difficult to turn on and off. I have to press it in different places to get this to happen. Maybe theres a knack to it.

Im sure ill find more to add. Overall though i think its great for the price (81 euro including shipping to Ireland from thomann. Also a stereo lead for the expression pedal). I reckon i would still get a Moog lpf though as it justs seems more reliable and do the job it does so well.

Edited by fatgoogle

Some more on the bsy-600. I had a couple of hours jamming with a drummer at fairly high volumes.

It does work very well, however when i was running overdrive with it and doing my wobs, the wobs were quite often lost. So best used clean but ill do more experimentation with it.

The FCV-100, expression pedal, because of the length of the sweep the pedal can do is really tiring to use on your foot but does make you look like your really into it as i had to move my whole body so as not to put a continous strain on my foot.

Other wise still very pleased and ill hopefully be jamming with the same drummer and guitar/synth player and see how it turns out.

I think my already drained acount is going to take some more hits now i know i can make soudns with pedals . :)

EDIT: I have just bought JoeGarcias Moog LPF so will put up some recordings of the contrasts and similarities i can get from both pedals in the next week.

Edited by fatgoogle