Why become a member? ×

Drum N Bass/Dubstep

Jarhead

I have read this thread through about three times now & i believe it's the best thread on this forum. The information is awsome, and the way you guys are explaining things is simply top rate !

The sounds you guys are creating are exactley what i want to do, although i'm struggling to understand some of the information on here i'm learning fast. cheers guys.
i've learned more about experimental effects on this thread than i have in years.

Sounds like the OC-2 is gonna be a good tool to getting towards the sound I'm trying to get. I tried an OC-3 a few years back & wasn't too keen on it but I've read on here a few times that the OC-2 is the better pedal.

I've been gassing for a nice fretless 5 for some time now. I don't want the "mwah" sound tho (eg: Jaco).

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='1182957' date='Mar 31 2011, 08:07 AM']worth noting (i'm sure Shep won't mind me pointing this out) that the bass used is fretless.

what contribution this makes would be better explained by Shep than me.

but i gather slides and tracking issues are probably two good reasons.[/quote]

Yeah the fretless is a big part of the sound. They naturally have a little more bass and low mids, and most octave pedals, the OC2 included track better with more low end input. Also the naturally muted sparkle adds a little Low Pass feel to things.

[quote name='fumps' post='1182969' date='Mar 31 2011, 08:32 AM']I have read this thread through about three times now & i believe it's the best thread on this forum. The information is awsome, and the way you guys are explaining things is simply top rate !

The sounds you guys are creating are exactley what i want to do, although i'm struggling to understand some of the information on here i'm learning fast. cheers guys.
i've learned more about experimental effects on this thread than i have in years.[/quote]

My fav' thread here too. Glad you find it all helpful!

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1182974' date='Mar 31 2011, 08:45 AM']Sounds like the OC-2 is gonna be a good tool to getting towards the sound I'm trying to get. I tried an OC-3 a few years back & wasn't too keen on it but I've read on here a few times that the OC-2 is the better pedal.

I've been gassing for a nice fretless 5 for some time now. I don't want the "mwah" sound tho (eg: Jaco).[/quote]

Bear in mind the Jaco' tone is just 1 fretless tone. They are quite versatile! Jaco used flats, bridge pickup and a boost the the mids... Or a least that's how I get the honky sound.

My bass has a active pre, strung with roundwounds and played with a tiny boost to the bass on an otherwise flat EQ using an even balance of both soapbar pups.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1183056' date='Mar 31 2011, 10:24 AM']Yeah the fretless is a big part of the sound. They naturally have a little more bass and low mids, and most octave pedals, the OC2 included track better with more low end input. Also the naturally muted sparkle adds a little Low Pass feel to things.[/quote]
could it also be that metal frets and assosciated fret-buzz add extra harmonics to the signal ? that would be more likely to confuse an octaver or synth pedal...resulting in more glitches ...i'm guessing.. :)

i just got an OC-2 today from here, it's got that synth type square wave sound that others don't. i use a fretted MM Sterling at the moment, but am also on the lookout for a fretless for the dubstep/d'n'b stuff.

again, like Shep i boost the bass eq and keep the rest flat, or even knock some treble off. i note that, as with my Aguilar Octamizer, open strings are to be avoided, they tend to glitch easier.

playing near the neck seems to help keep things consistent too. by playing softly i can get down to F on the E-string. although amp/speakers seem to struggle to reproduce the signal well (i suppose it's just overtones i'm hearing anyway)

Edited by phil.i.stein

I'm trying to get my core sound similar to that of a sinewave.
So far I've put flatwounds on my bass & play between the neck pu & bridge & panned 80%ish to the neck pu.
The LPF helps get a very sub like sound & the Bass Murf also helps to get rid of frequencies I don't want (I mainly just use it as a graphic overdrive & some light lfo on it). Some chorus to add wobble.
A good octaver & a signal mixer is all I really need to be happy (& then I'll get more gas!).

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1183734' date='Mar 31 2011, 07:22 PM']I'm trying to get my core sound similar to that of a sinewave.[/quote]
yeah, this might sound dumb to some, but how come i haven't seen a pedal that attempts to convert a bass signal into a sinewave ? i can get triangle, square, trapezoid etc.. , what is the technical 'hurdle' with the sinewave ?

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='1183756' date='Mar 31 2011, 07:32 PM']yeah, this might sound dumb to some, but how come i haven't seen a pedal that attempts to convert a bass signal into a sinewave ? i can get triangle, square, trapezoid etc.. , what is the technical 'hurdle' with the sinewave ?[/quote]

I've found sinewave one of the more difficult to nail, but an OC2 and LPF get rather close.

[quote name='DanOwens' post='1183772' date='Mar 31 2011, 07:41 PM']I've found sinewave one of the more difficult to nail, but an OC2 and LPF get rather close.[/quote]
mmm, an LPF is next on my list. besides the moog, any smaller recommendations (anybody) ?

Edited by phil.i.stein

There's a chap getting his mates bro to make an exp pedal based on the mf-101 [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=289&st=2420&start=2420"]here.[/url]

The sinewave is hard to replicate because it's a pure fundamental sound that is smooth over the timeline whereas the bass reproduces several harmonics & sounds that fluctuate along the timeline. The hard part is removing the unwanted frequencies but retain the basics to make the sound over all the fretboard.

A triangle wave is another hard sound to replicate. It's similar to the sine but has a higher harmonic content & not as much sub, it's better for cheap stereos that don't reproduce bass sounds so well.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1183925' date='Mar 31 2011, 09:13 PM']There's a chap getting his mates bro to make an exp pedal based on the mf-101 [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=289&st=2420&start=2420"]here.[/url]

The sinewave is hard to replicate because it's a pure fundamental sound that is smooth over the timeline whereas the bass reproduces several harmonics & sounds that fluctuate along the timeline. The hard part is removing the unwanted frequencies but retain the basics to make the sound over all the fretboard.

A triangle wave is another hard sound to replicate. It's similar to the sine but has a higher harmonic content & not as much sub, it's better for cheap stereos that don't reproduce bass sounds so well.[/quote]
yeah, i was in on that one .. :)

i'm currently trying to get my head around my octavius squeezer. on paper, it should be able to do what i'm after (barring the exp input), it's just the lack of interface that's driving me mental.

two dials/knobs and one display line.. aargh !

on the string front, flats are probably a good call..

been having massive fun today with recently acquired digitech whammy & oc-2 (credit where it's due Shep :) ) > octavius squeezer / source audio b.e.f. and occasional fuzz from mxr blowtorch.

can't recommend it highly enough. soundclips in the near future, although i'll probably need advice on how to upload wav.s or mp3s to make the best of them.

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='1185052' date='Apr 1 2011, 06:05 PM']been having massive fun today with recently acquired digitech whammy & oc-2 (credit where it's due Shep :) ) > octavius squeezer / source audio b.e.f. and occasional fuzz from mxr blowtorch.

can't recommend it highly enough. soundclips in the near future, although i'll probably need advice on how to upload wav.s or mp3s to make the best of them.[/quote]

If you havn't already try Whammy (on 2 Oct up), OC2 (just -1oct) and the Soda Meiser..

Huge fat wall of sound which you can push up to a squeal. If you have a delay and whack the whammy up full and back down super quick you get nice guitar note like wibbles trailing off :)

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1185187' date='Apr 1 2011, 07:50 PM']If you havn't already try Whammy (on 2 Oct up), OC2 (just -1oct) and the Soda Meiser..

Huge fat wall of sound which you can push up to a squeal. If you have a delay and whack the whammy up full and back down super quick you get nice guitar note like wibbles trailing off :)[/quote]
yeh, i've been using the +1 Whammy octave , with OC-2-1oct, no delay yet, but a blend with the Octavius Squeezer and it's LFO can yield some cool results.

i'll tame the soda-meiser some day.. :)

Got an oc-2 and behringer bcy-600 on the way along with a digital mystikz ticket.

Still wondering what a good fuzz would be for active bass's would be. I would like that really tight sound that you hear on alot of modern dubstep and drum n bass, but i guess that might be down to technique a lot of the time.

[quote name='fatgoogle' post='1185283' date='Apr 1 2011, 09:21 PM']Got an oc-2 and behringer bcy-600 on the way along with a digital mystikz ticket.

Still wondering what a good fuzz would be for active bass's would be. I would like that really tight sound that you hear on alot of modern dubstep and drum n bass, but i guess that might be down to technique a lot of the time.[/quote]

It's a tough one with an Active bass. Most gated pedals sound poo with active basses, and pitting one in a separate noise gate pedal often crushes lots of tone...

My main 'fuzz sound' comes from my Corvid fuzz. It does have lots of hiss, but as I run it with an LPF most of the time I get away with it. The Tech 21 Red Ripper is more of an overdrive, but has an almost gated effect and loves active basses... I've had lots of success with it recently, but it isn't a creamy fat fuzz.