Why become a member? ×

Drum N Bass/Dubstep

Jarhead

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1196067' date='Apr 11 2011, 06:43 PM']All good Higgie. If the drum beat was a bit slower it'd be more dubstep… the beat is pretty close. I like the bass line, has a funk rock feel to it.[/quote]

Cheers Shep - I must admit I'm a massive newbie in this area, so it's encouraging to hear that from you :) I listened to your stuff the other day - "Awesome" doesn't come close!

[quote name='DanOwens' post='1196275' date='Apr 11 2011, 09:50 PM']Also, Higgie, I should say that I like it! :)[/quote]

Haha, thanks for clarifying Dan :lol:

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1198828' date='Apr 13 2011, 10:30 PM']Cheers for the kind words Higgie... Truth is though I stole everything I know from Dan Owens :)[/quote]

That's quite a compliment, Shep. I've got a studio session booked for Saturday so I'll keep y'all informed about how it goes.

Here's my setup for the recording (excluding all the vocal stuff I'm running):

[b]Also [url="http://thebrokendoor.bandcamp.com/track/the-wonka-boat"]CLICK HERE[/url] (and skip to 1:00 if you're impatient) to listen to part of our re-imagining of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. This is one of our more Dubsteppy numbers.[/b]

Edited by DanOwens

[quote name='Mugz.wood' post='1189744' date='Apr 5 2011, 09:37 PM']ok do u think a smaller program would reduce the latency because logic is a pretty big program, reason maybe?, i would be using a 2ghz mac book 2 gbs ram with an m- audio firewire solo external sound card do u think that would be able to cope?
if not i could still use the laptop setup for a after rumble effect maybe?
thanks[/quote]

That should work fine. Try using Mainstage (part of the Logic suite so you already own it) instead of Logic as it is a bit easier to deal with live.

• 2 weeks later...

What kind of expression do most of you use with your Moog LPF's. I recieved mine on friday and have been attempting to use my behringer fcv-100 and a stereo cable with it but it doesnt seem to work all that well. Will i be better of just going for the moog expression pedal.

The Moog EP2 is a safe bet as it was obviously designed for control voltage pedals as opposed to 'regular' expression. Personally I really like the EP2 anyway and use one for a non-Moog pedal as well. My personal suggestion is you buy a Moog MP-201 as it's the best bit of gear I own... But I fear it may be a tad more expensive that you'd like to spend for an expression pedal alone.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1199972' date='Apr 14 2011, 09:26 PM']Like the Choccy factory groove as well! Did you record it live? Certainly sounds it.[/quote]

Hey Shep,

Yeah it's all a desk feed since it's all improvised (around a basic structure).

The groove's similar to a KJ Sawka groove that I love.

Dan

PS EP2 FTW

Edited by DanOwens

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sure someone has seen my desire for an expression pedal and an syb 5,
i've also currently got:
boss odb-3
ehx bass balls (russian)
ehx q-tron plus envelope filter (usa)
boss ceb-3

i'm currently after an ehx russian big muff as well as the boss synth
is there anything else i should be looking for in order to play qemists like stuff as the thread starter was on about, and dubstep wobbles in general?

[quote name='dc2009' post='1244539' date='May 25 2011, 05:34 PM']I'm sure someone has seen my desire for an expression pedal and an syb 5,
i've also currently got:
boss odb-3
ehx bass balls (russian)
ehx q-tron plus envelope filter (usa)
boss ceb-3

i'm currently after an ehx russian big muff as well as the boss synth
is there anything else i should be looking for in order to play qemists like stuff as the thread starter was on about, and dubstep wobbles in general?[/quote]
you can have my syb-5 for £45 posted if you like. i've got too much synthage at the moment, so it's surplus for me. PM me if you fancy it. :)

i'd be looking for an LPF of some description, like the moog or the iron ether xerograph (or the deluxe for extra bucks)..

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='1244555' date='May 25 2011, 05:57 PM']you can have my syb-5 for £45 posted if you like. i've got too much synthage at the moment, so it's surplus for me. PM me if you fancy it. :)

i'd be looking for an LPF of some description, like the moog or the iron ether xerograph (or the deluxe for extra bucks)..[/quote]

PM'd,

what's the main aim of a LPF and what can it do for your sound?

In the words of DanOwens...

As an electronic bassist, the Low Pass Filters is your best friend. Low Pass Filters (or LPFs) serve many practical functions but the way they work is they let the ‘Low’ sounds ‘Pass’ through it. That is – they remove the high sounds from your signal. At which point in the audio spectrum they do this depends on the filter’s cut-off point, determined by the ‘Cut-off’ control. The ‘Resonance’ control creates a boost at the cut-off point, making it more pronounced. If the LPF is your best friend, the ‘Resonance’ control is their bad breath. Watch out!!

We’re going to use the LPF in two main ways: the first is to create a static, ‘sub’ sound. If we ‘close’ the filter so it only lets very low frequencies pass and boost the resonance a bit, we are effectively turning the treble and middle knobs on our amp right down to 0 (or -15db as is more commonly found) and turning the bass control on our amp up to 10 (or +15db). This is the sound that will shake glasses off shelves and irritate neighbours 4 streets away. We like this! Remember to be careful of that resonance control though. Turning it up too high will be like turning the bass control up to 20 or 30 and can totally annihilate speakers, PAs and eardrums.

The second use of the LPF is to create filter sweeps. This is where we move the filter cut-off point across the audio spectrum creating a wah-wah like effect (but one that doesn’t sound rubbish). You could sweep the cut-off over an 8-bar build or across single notes, the best thing to do it experiment. To do this though, you need to be able to move the filter cut-off whilst playing your bass with your hands. As such the sweep is usually done via an expression pedal operated by your foot.

Also look into the behringer bsy-600. Its cheap and works very well but doesnt get along to well with distortions/fuzz's etc or too my experimentation it hasnt. Also get a moog LPF. I have both the behringer and the moog running now and there both great for what im doing.

in reply to your earlier post Shep, about new discoveries etc.. the 'dubstep wobble' thread on TB is worth a quick read if you haven't already. a few nice soundclips have been up recently.

i hope to come and see your gig [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=137760&pid=1244409&st=0&#entry1244409"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...p;#entry1244409[/url] on 10th June, and would urge anyone else who can, to do so.

it sucks that i have to work the next day, but what the hell, i have to drive anyway. looking forward to it. :)

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1244586' date='May 25 2011, 06:32 PM']In the words of DanOwens...

As an electronic bassist, the Low Pass Filters is your best friend. Low Pass Filters (or LPFs) serve many practical functions but the way they work is they let the ‘Low’ sounds ‘Pass’ through it. That is – they remove the high sounds from your signal. At which point in the audio spectrum they do this depends on the filter’s cut-off point, determined by the ‘Cut-off’ control. The ‘Resonance’ control creates a boost at the cut-off point, making it more pronounced. If the LPF is your best friend, the ‘Resonance’ control is their bad breath. Watch out!!

We’re going to use the LPF in two main ways: the first is to create a static, ‘sub’ sound. If we ‘close’ the filter so it only lets very low frequencies pass and boost the resonance a bit, we are effectively turning the treble and middle knobs on our amp right down to 0 (or -15db as is more commonly found) and turning the bass control on our amp up to 10 (or +15db). This is the sound that will shake glasses off shelves and irritate neighbours 4 streets away. We like this! Remember to be careful of that resonance control though. Turning it up too high will be like turning the bass control up to 20 or 30 and can totally annihilate speakers, PAs and eardrums.

The second use of the LPF is to create filter sweeps. This is where we move the filter cut-off point across the audio spectrum creating a wah-wah like effect (but one that doesn’t sound rubbish). You could sweep the cut-off over an 8-bar build or across single notes, the best thing to do it experiment. To do this though, you need to be able to move the filter cut-off whilst playing your bass with your hands. As such the sweep is usually done via an expression pedal operated by your foot.[/quote]

Thanks for the explanation. I could create the static part of the sound via the 12 band eq on my trace head, or is this kind of thing only achievable through pedals?

Being a london man I won't make it up to nottingham, but let me know if you play your wobble live down this way anytime!