Why become a member? ×

Drum N Bass/Dubstep

Jarhead

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1132943' date='Feb 18 2011, 11:54 PM']I'll make sure I give you a sneak preview. Somehow 2 of the 3 tracks have a real 'Prodigy' vibe going on, which is an influence we've never considered or heard in the music before. Interesting.[/quote]
at least it's a vibe that can sell tunes though..

sounds like your engineer is trying to milk you in a good way.. :)

Nah, Johnny hates Prodigy... That's why it was amusing! :)

Certain parts of songs, one particular (that you'd of heard live, Si), had to be re-written on the spot due to the ring modulator LFO moving slightly from the click (it's all analogue, and not usually noticeable, but under the microscope it's pretty obvious). So we slowed the LFO right down and I modulate it manually with expression constantly in some rather odd ways... It was bloody hard work to keep a rhythm going but the result was a square-wave sounding synth line with what sounds like a programmed stutter, much like Prodigy use a lot on the recent album.

I'm kinda hearing this track in a new light for the 1st time but I love it, and the manual manipulation whilst playing is quite an achievement... Not sure I fancy doing it live though :)

Just started using the M9 myself and it's pretty much replaced all my board except my sansamp, fuzz, moog and octaver (which it probably could replace if needed, as the one on there is pretty decent, although I know how much a lot of you love your OC2's :) ).

One of the best bits about it is that everything can be sync'd to Midi, filters, modulation, delays. Been having some great fun with just my bass, pedalboard and an Electribe.
The quality of a lot of the distortions is far better than expected from a multieffect, but they do tend to be a bit lacking in bottom end (or maybe I've just got used to my Swollen Pickle.) Definitely worth a look for the D&B/Dubstep stuff, or anything you want to sync to Midi.

My only gripes at the moment are that you cant use the expression pedals to change between say a tremolo set to crotchet to a tremolo set to a quaver. This kinda rules out the changing dubstep bassline wobble speed ideas, but can be got round by using two different patches on the same bank.

Also, the looper doesn't sync to Midi. This would be a great addition for the pedal, and I'm kinda surprised they haven't added the option already, but I guess no-one expected it coming from the DL4.

The sync'ing on the M series isn't that great. According to reports, they will eventually drift from the click so the 'Pattern Tremolo' (like the SL20) isn't that reliable in a live setting, especially compared to an SL20 or Adrenalinn.

The modulations, reverbs and delays are fantastic though and it has become a significant part of my live setup. Still not figured out how to use the ringmod in a musical way though.

A second hand M9 or M13 is a great investment and will hold most of its value if you decide to sell it on.

Dan

[quote name='DanOwens' post='1133546' date='Feb 19 2011, 04:21 PM']The sync'ing on the M series isn't that great. According to reports, they will eventually drift from the click so the 'Pattern Tremolo' (like the SL20) isn't that reliable in a live setting, especially compared to an SL20 or Adrenalinn.

The modulations, reverbs and delays are fantastic though and it has become a significant part of my live setup. Still not figured out how to use the ringmod in a musical way though.

A second hand M9 or M13 is a great investment and will hold most of its value if you decide to sell it on.

Dan[/quote]

If you just tap the tap tempo once on the first beat of the bar you can resync it if needed. Tis a bit annoying though.

Fat Burning Step EP just released!!! This the side project of Miloopa bassist 'Bond' who is covered quite a bit over this thread (prob the biggest influence for me on synth bass work)

[url="http://fatburningstep.bandcamp.com/"]http://fatburningstep.bandcamp.com/[/url]

Loving the tracks at the mo, particularly 'Higher Dub'

Shep

What kind of compression do you guys use, ive been messing with my ashdown Drive+ and i can some good lows no woobs but i dont have a envelope filter yet or that Moog mp101 which im still saving for. I get alot of well, different sized gushes as i play with it. Anything thats really good, been thinking about the multi-comp but i was thinking something with a noise gate built in aswell that i could put in the rack would be really useful aswell.

Also what kind of speakers are you using. I dont think my DIY ev606 will hold up well and thinking rationaly a cab would be the best thing over pedals except pedals are more fun. 12's, 10's, 15's. I intend to win the lotto soon so it should all be good. :)

I don't use any compressors as they don't get on with me or my kit. I tried a few different ones.
I put the compressor at the start & it killed the ability to use dynamics with the envelope follower. I put it at the end of the signal chain & it raised the noise floor, which I found rather irritating.
I so wanted one too after using a white finger on it's own between my bass & amp & fancied trying a black finger.

If you're looking for cabs on a budget that will sound excellent, then why not try a BFM self build? I'm planning building a tuba 24 sub to stick under my 2x10 combo, but the Omni cabs might be ideal for your needs.

I don't use any compressors as they don't get on with me or my kit. I tried a few different ones.
I put the compressor at the start & it killed the ability to use dynamics with the envelope follower. I put it at the end of the signal chain & it raised the noise floor, which I found rather irritating.
I so wanted one too after using a white finger on it's own between my bass & amp & fancied trying a black finger.

If you're looking for cabs on a budget that will sound excellent, then why not try a BFM self build? I'm planning building a tuba 24 sub to stick under my 2x10 combo, but the Omni cabs might be ideal for your needs.

I have had mixed experiences of compressors with bass. With guitars,I can easily get a range of phenomenal sounds but with bass it's much more difficult. I would definitely go to [url="http://www.ovnilab.com"]www.ovnilab.com[/url] for all the compressor info though - really great range of reviews from a source that I personally trust (unlike the myriad of harmony central reviews).

Dan

The compressor stays on on my EBS HD350 at about 2 o'clock though everything I do, It smooths out peaks and makes a few effects that much more usable. It does add some noise (as it boosts the little hum I get from my effects chain), but I find the pro's outweigh the con's when it comes to keeping what I do sound processed and tight.

[quote name='G.D.' post='1150279' date='Mar 5 2011, 08:42 AM']This is currently mu favourite thread on Basschat, there is some excellent advice and everyone is really positive, keep it up !

GD[/quote]

Same here! :)

Any more blog posts coming Dan?

My board is making a few changes in the near future... Some additions, replacements and a new powering system.

[quote name='fatgoogle' post='1154221' date='Mar 8 2011, 06:28 PM']Nearly have enough money saved for the LPF and with my birthday maybe ill have enough money to replace my octobass which i dont really like.

Any suggestions for a nice octave pedal, maybe an oc-2, seems to be very popular with the Dub bassist.[/quote]
I'll keep an eye on this (as I have been with other posts) to see what octavers get the thumbs up. I don't have an octave pedal at present, but is next on my list.
You should save for an expression pedal to go with the LPF to give you more control. Most are universal I believe.

Shep, when's the tracks gonna be ready? Looking forward to hearing it.

Final mix and mastering is set for the 19th. It was unfortunately put back due to me starting a new job.

I have the line mixes... But don't want to ruin the final product by playing you guys the unfinished version.

All 3 tracks on the EP use the Octave down sound of the OC2... It's definitely the best synthy/unnatural Octave. I have a octave section on my MarkBass SuperSynth which doesn't really get used much, and on my Whammy, which I use for octave up.

OC2 all the way for me!

Had a bit of spare time to play with my pedals & had said that I'd post a video of the Bass MuRF in another thread, so once that was done, I thought I'd make another using my pedal board to make some Dubtastic scary sounds.

I do want an octaver & plan on doing some splitting & merging of signals in the future (as soon as I can start saving pennies again!).

LFO = Low Frequency Oscillator. In simple terms - Something that makes a specific waveform pattern (such a a Triangle Wave as a Tremolo). Modulation type effects, are in their simplest terms LFO's... But also certain equipment can generate LFO's to drive other pedals.

More info on Dan's blog - [url="http://mrdfowens.tumblr.com/post/1479171384/concepts-of-modular-synthesis-for-the-bass-guitarist"]http://mrdfowens.tumblr.com/post/147917138...-bass-guitarist[/url]

Shep

The MF-105b has a LFO across the filters. I plan on making a pot with a jack on it so I can control it (basically a dial version of the exp pedal).
In the video I've put in the "I want a new toy" thread, near the end I've plugged the EP-2 into the LFO amount to show what this does. I meant to take the TRS cable out from the env out on the 101 & into the LFO rate on the 105, it makes the LFO start fast & slow down as the note dies & can have some random effects, depending on what you're playing (that's an excuse to make another video :) ).

Really, I should have just bought a Minimoog & put my bass thru that! :)