Why become a member? ×

Drum N Bass/Dubstep

Jarhead

I love that track mate, sounds great. I think I actually saw your band doing that Orange Unsigned thing, where you had to play acoustically. Acoustic didn't really suit you guys lol. It's a shame you've split up, if you had still been together, then we could have organised a week long tour, hitting Manchester, Blackpool, and some other places we can find DnB bands.

Zach

[quote name='MythSte' post='698259' date='Jan 1 2010, 07:01 PM']

This is one of our crossover tracks, I used a GT-6b on this, but there's so much going on you cant tell the amount of little tweaks on my sound, apart from maybe the Fuzz in the breakdown. I may well have just plugged straight into the desk![/quote]
am liking this. you are a multi-talented b......d. stop! ........carry on !

That sine like bass sound is what I am trying to achieve. A distortion with a LPF & exp pedal will let you get that other bass sound that is there.

I'll try & get something recorded in the morning. I also have a lend of a Boss chorus pedal which is starting to find some use without sounding 80's pop.

[quote name='MythSte' post='702378' date='Jan 6 2010, 01:01 AM']Thanks for the compliments! I dont envy those of you that are trying to do all the low end duty on Bass guitar only. I certainly wouldnt have fancied it... Get yourselves a microkorg and double up![/quote]

I pitch-to-midi my bass signal and double everything I play but still do everything on the bass guitar.

Sick!

[quote name='MythSte' post='702378' date='Jan 6 2010, 01:01 AM']Thanks for the compliments! I dont envy those of you that are trying to do all the low end duty on Bass guitar only. I certainly wouldnt have fancied it... Get yourselves a microkorg and double up![/quote]
Haha, yeah. We have a couple of synths that will be used for ultra low sub bass. I'll be mainly playing the wobbling bass line, and probably melody lines as well. Probably sequence a few things as well, play them through his Mac. We are also going to have a set of DJ decks lol, which could be good fun live :)

Zach

[quote name='Jarhead' post='703284' date='Jan 6 2010, 07:08 PM']Haha, yeah. We have a couple of synths that will be used for ultra low sub bass. I'll be mainly playing the wobbling bass line, and probably melody lines as well. Probably sequence a few things as well, play them through his Mac. We are also going to have a set of DJ decks lol, which could be good fun live :)

Zach[/quote]
youre going to be busy bunnies

When I did DnB in the 90s I´ve been usind a DOD envelope filter a lot. Mostly It was tuned that the filter opened only when I played extremely loud. Regular picking kept it closed for a bassheavy sound. Another thing I did was playing a Boss OC2 with the direct signal muted. The effectsound is something with a sinus-alike waveform which is one or two octaves lower. For getting higher frequencies into the game I splitted the signal and sent it through a Whammy Pedal and different Distortion boxes, TC Chorus/Flanger Pedal, TC2290 Delay and whatever more I forgot. Longtime that I had a look into my stomppedal bag. Both signals went through a Lexicon Jamman for sampling/looping and then into an old SVT head with two channels where it had been mixed together. Lots of fun :-) But we don´t party like that any more

Nerve are are sweet band-their 'Prohibited Beatz' album is great.

Here's a cool vid from the recording of Justin Vasquez's album-again with
JoJo Mayer on Drums.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ah-jfIe87I"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ah-jfIe87I[/url]

[quote name='Doddy' post='707714' date='Jan 10 2010, 02:39 PM']Nerve are are sweet band-their 'Prohibited Beatz' album is great.

Here's a cool vid from the recording of Justin Vasquez's album-again with
JoJo Mayer on Drums.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ah-jfIe87I"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ah-jfIe87I[/url][/quote]
he's enjoying that isn't he...
i'll be looking for that album. wish i'd seen this stuff before. i feel like a bit of an ostrich now !

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='707692' date='Jan 10 2010, 02:21 PM']guys & gals - if you haven't heard of them before, you need to see this..

what a drummer ! pity we can't see more of what the bass is doing in terms of fx..[/quote]
As I recall, his board is pretty damn big, I'll see if I can dig a picture out somewhere.

'77 jazz bass --> boss tuner --> boss OC2 --> passive DI for discreet sub channel at FOH --> zvex wooly mammoth fuzz (or maybe a crowther prunes and custard... the ol' brain box is a bit fuzzy) --> moogerfooger mf101 (with an ancient EMU expression pedal from my Emulator II) --> cheap ibanez synth wah pedal --> really really cheap ibanez 'soundtank' flanger (that i found in a rehearsal space) --> Line6 DL4 delay modeler --> DI --> WalterWoods amphead --> whatever speaker cabinet is around --> RE20 (or another good mic)

That's a quote straight from John Davis, bassist of Nerve, 11/1/2008.

oc2>mammoth>orbit>noisebox>bugcrusher>moog>fatman

That was his touring rig from 16/7/2009

OC-2 (Output splits to the key in on the Fatman) into Zvex Mammoth into Copilot Orbit into Subdecay Noise Box into Bugcrusher into Moog LPF (with Expr and Robot Factory Exp Modulator) into Fatman into 201 into Boss RV3/5?

That was Tayste over on Talkbass, accurately describing his board at Namm 09.

I looked around for about 20 minutes, but I couldn't find an actual photo of the board at any point, which was irritating. He has a fantastic tone, and if you look for him on Talkbass (username: JohnDavisNYC) then you could probably get more info straight from him.

Zach

[quote name='Jarhead' post='707942' date='Jan 10 2010, 06:03 PM']No problem mate, just took a quick search on Talkbass. How's your band going?

Zach[/quote]
2 different projects at the moment. one hardcore/punk , a 4/5 piece, tunes written, no vocals as yet.
the other a 3-piece trying to blend d'n'b (industrial rather than jazz) with live playing.
i'll let you know 'what's occuring' as and when.
my drummer is superb, he's the guy who turned me on to that jo jo meyers stuff !
take it easy ! :)

Haha, yeah, I haven't seen how well my drummer can handle really up tempo DnB stuff yet, soon though, we will see if he can cut it, if not then I have another who probably could. TBH, the drummer is the weakest link in the chain for live DnB, if he can't cut it, or loses time, then the rest of you have had it.

Zach

[quote name='Jarhead' post='708073' date='Jan 10 2010, 08:00 PM']Haha, yeah, I haven't seen how well my drummer can handle really up tempo DnB stuff yet, soon though, we will see if he can cut it, if not then I have another who probably could. TBH, the drummer is the weakest link in the chain for live DnB, if he can't cut it, or loses time, then the rest of you have had it.

Zach[/quote]
my man can play to a click, i think that's the way forward (for our d'n'b stuff at least) then we can utilise sequenced midi parts/samples etc..
drums have to be the foundation , and complicated fills can throw timing off easily, so if you have access to a small p.a. or monitor, try it out.
do broach the subject delicately though ; no drummer likes to be told that they have sloppy timing, but it will help them tighten up their technique !
some drummers might complain that it makes things sound too clinical, but a lot can be put back with the right 'feel'.

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='708559' date='Jan 11 2010, 09:30 AM']my man can play to a click, i think that's the way forward (for our d'n'b stuff at least) then we can utilise sequenced midi parts/samples etc..
drums have to be the foundation , and complicated fills can throw timing off easily, so if you have access to a small p.a. or monitor, try it out.
do broach the subject delicately though ; no drummer likes to be told that they have sloppy timing, but it will help them tighten up their technique !
some drummers might complain that it makes things sound too clinical, but a lot can be put back with the right 'feel'.[/quote]
Yeah, we're going to try that I think, see how well he does then. Next up, we have to figure out what we are gonna have when we play out. This in itself is a challenge, because it's going to mainly be house parties, so we will have to have as small a footprint as possible, but still manage to fit everything in. Set ups will be fun :)

Zach

Yamaha Clickstation is my favourite metronome for any drummer. It has a MIDI-In so can take MIDI Time Code and still allow your player to alter subdivisions and levels; plus it has a Aux-In so your drummer can use it as an In-Ear-Monitor Mixer.

That's what my drummer uses. He bought the Tama Rhythm-Watch because the Yamaha is discontinued, but it has no MIDI-In and the display isn't backlit (handy for a dark stage). He eventually found a Yamaha and now the band are all MIDI-Synched (Arpeggiators and Tremolos galore!).

Dan

Edited by DanOwens

[quote name='DanOwens' post='712064' date='Jan 13 2010, 11:08 PM']Yamaha Clickstation is my favourite metronome for any drummer. It has a MIDI-In so can take MIDI Time Code and still allow your player to alter subdivisions and levels; plus it has a Aux-In so your drummer can use it as an In-Ear-Monitor Mixer.

That's what my drummer uses. He bought the Tama Rhythm-Watch because the Yamaha is discontinued, but it has no MIDI-In and the display isn't backlit (handy for a dark stage). He eventually found a Yamaha and now the band are all MIDI-Synched (Arpeggiators and Tremolos galore!).

Dan[/quote]
top advice ! ta. :)