Why become a member? ×

Drum N Bass/Dubstep

Jarhead

[quote name='mcgraham' post='1260471' date='Jun 7 2011, 10:56 PM']gnasher, the settings he's using on that vid are very close to what I have it set to at present. Given that I mainly play bass at church at present (reasonably contemporary but still restrictive within that genre) I'm going to try and work out how to support the songs with a slightly more synth sound to experiment.[/quote]

That's me in the video :) It's my favourite setting, especially with the volume on my bass rolled down.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tRX5eL5wcE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tRX5eL5wcE[/url]

at 3.18 how would you say to get the effect, would it just be a tremelo pumping through the moog in its simpliest form. Or is someone playing it on synth? Really liked it anyway.

[quote name='fatgoogle' post='1261205' date='Jun 8 2011, 02:03 PM'][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tRX5eL5wcE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tRX5eL5wcE[/url]

at 3.18 how would you say to get the effect, would it just be a tremelo pumping through the moog in its simpliest form. Or is someone playing it on synth? Really liked it anyway.[/quote]

Bonds pedalboard was discussed early in this thread... He uses an MP-201 & Moog LPF or his tremolo duties same way that I do, however he also plays synth on some tracks, and he is doing on that one.

It could be done with his bass set up & mine I reckon - LPF, MP-201, Chorus & Noisebox.

Shep

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1261928' date='Jun 8 2011, 09:41 PM']Very good. I had a play with one last time I was at GB Guitars in Brighton. Some great settings in it and no loss of tone at all. I'd consider it the best compact tremolo pedal I'd tried with a bass.[/quote]

Have you tried the Catalinbread Valcoder? It's in a 1590A enclosure so it's TINY, there's no tone loss, you have a trimmer inside you can adjust for the gain, so it can boost or cut too if necessary, simple 2 knob (rate and depth) setup, and a blindingly bright LED that dims with the depth control, and blinks at the speed of the speed knob, giving a visual indication of both speed and depth. I love mine! True Bypass and 9v too - it's awesome!

Hi guys, I tried to do a thread search but it came up blank. Has anyone got some decent songs, and ideally a place for tabs etc (my ear playing is passable at best) to learn for DnB, or even more ideally, dubstep playing, that will help me trying to emulate sounds with my SYB-5?

Thanks

I havent tried or bothered to learn any dubstep tunes. Havent really seen the point. But it do try and emulate different sounds set that i hear and from the different periods. Its alot more fun to come up with your things in this genre ive found. Earlier Dubstep is slower with a with not really any emphasis on this Dirty bass thing. Have a listen to Digital mystikz, Skream, Early Benga, Burial and a good few others. Then you get your newer stuff like flux pavilion, doctor P, Magnetic Man, and a load of others, just to name a few popular ones. Theres dub being mixed with jazz and everything now.

Id also get a behringer BSY=600. It has a not too shabby LFO in it and some other good sounds. Better then the boss and digitech IMO.

Ok that's cool, will check some of that out. As well as doing the dubstep stuff, the kind of synth bass I want for my own sound is really hard to describe, but I don't think my boss cuts it.
I'm sh1t at describing the sound, but I guess you would characterise it as having a super quick response, sort of like a modernised version of the bass on those old nintendo games, (f-zero etc). Anyone got any idea of where would be heading in the right direction?

Anything that does a good 8-bit gated fuzz sound along with an octave pedal should do it… Copilot Orbit, Flying Tomato, WMD Geiger Counter or many other gated fuzz pedals. Make sure its an extreme gate though. Octave before it and your good to go.

I think mcgraham has been playing around with an OC2 & Copilot Orbit this week so he'd be the man to ask!

Harmonically: tritones, chromatic shifts and chords 1, 3, 4 and 6 in minor (and perhaps major but you'd really need a strong drone). Get a mix from beatport, listen to it and copy all the bass parts (notes not sounds) you'll realise that the same chord progressions repeat. Learn these chord progressions then all you need is the right LFO and you'll have nailed DnB and Dubstep.

Dan

[quote name='dc2009' post='1265678' date='Jun 12 2011, 03:56 AM']Ok that's cool, will check some of that out. As well as doing the dubstep stuff, the kind of synth bass I want for my own sound is really hard to describe, but I don't think my boss cuts it.
I'm sh1t at describing the sound, but I guess you would characterise it as having a super quick response, sort of like a modernised version of the bass on those old nintendo games, (f-zero etc). Anyone got any idea of where would be heading in the right direction?[/quote]

Try adding more effects after syb-5 and buy expression pedal if you dont have :) I get some nice tunes out of it using exp pedal and overdrive+chorus after it :)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFY8Yw5Nztw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFY8Yw5Nztw[/url]

I know its not wobbly, but i'd say its more like pendulum styled bassline :lol:

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1265701' date='Jun 12 2011, 03:22 AM']Anything that does a good 8-bit gated fuzz sound along with an octave pedal should do it… Copilot Orbit, Flying Tomato, WMD Geiger Counter or many other gated fuzz pedals. Make sure its an extreme gate though. Octave before it and your good to go.

I think mcgraham has been playing around with an OC2 & Copilot Orbit this week so he'd be the man to ask![/quote]

I have indeed! Played a church conference/camp over the weekend, pedalboard consisted of Polytune-->OC2-->Ego (compressor)-->Orbit (fuzz + ring mod)-->DD6.

Boss OC2 was used for 50% of the material. Initially was 1st octave only as that is a great DnB/dubstep sound, but eventually dialled in 2nd octave to 50% and dry to 30/40% - that setting filled the sound out nicely and also fitted a multitude of songs and allowed me to shoehorn different styles into the otherwise tired sound of contemporary worship (comparable to U2 but with a much more tired sound). Tracking worked best above 12th fret and tone and treble all the way off - also the resultant sound seemed better that way too. I also found that running a compressor immediately after it helped to even the sound out as it does seem to have a slight volume drop and slightly inconsistent volume response relative to picking strength when engaged relative to the uneffected sound.

Orbit did not get used at all because it didn't fit the sound of the songs (I try my best but there's only so much you can do) plus a number of the bandmembers did NOT like the sound of it... but then they are the sort that think U2, Coldplay and John Mayer are the end all and be all of music *sigh*. Anyway, the Orbit is a stunning pedal by itself or with an octave running into it. There's a number of different sounds in there, but the one I like gets a really wet squelchy almost ringmod-filter-esque tone with a tight-finger funk sound - will try to record at some point. Run an octave into it and you can get really thick synthy basslines above the 12th fret. Also, the treble content you let through from your bass-->octave then into the Orbit reeeeeally affects the overall sound of this pedal so there's a lot of control there. If you play a low note through the octave into the Orbit - say an open E - you get this mental 'broken amp' sound, great effect and could work with some slow-groove numbers but probably not useable on many songs.

I'd say that the OC2 is a must have for any bass pedalboard and incredibly useful for any genre. The Orbit is a very unique sounding pedal, so would say it is only likely to be useable for a genre/song that actually has a space already carved out for such a sound. Both work so well together, and if you add a delay pedal I think you'd just need a drummer to get going as a DnB/dubstep duo.

I will definitely do some clips as I'd love to share some of the ideas I've had with these pedal combinations... perhaps even a video!

[quote name='callingltu' post='1266822' date='Jun 12 2011, 11:42 PM']Try adding more effects after syb-5 and buy expression pedal if you dont have :) I get some nice tunes out of it using exp pedal and overdrive+chorus after it :)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFY8Yw5Nztw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFY8Yw5Nztw[/url]

I know its not wobbly, but i'd say its more like pendulum styled bassline :lol:[/quote]

That's definitely a sound I'm after, but the main sound I'm after is seriously clean, and almost like a seriously bassy keyboard sound, goddamn this is hard to explain, I'm going to trawl youtube videos and spotify searching for what I mean. :-)

I have an expression pedal, but it doesnt do anything, gonna try and find a spare speaker cable for it on friday, apparently that might make it work. :s

I'm reading this topic from couple of months and still looking for the best solution for sub bass devastation. Right now I'm in a early days of my live drum and bass act and I dying for a proper sub effects.
I'm really annoyed about sh*tty SYB-5 tracking but i can't afford Moogerfoogers unfortunately. Also I've been thinking about Sonuus B2M and some good Midi module but deep sub bass sounds won't be easy even on that.
Question is: How about things like DBX120XP Subharmonic Synthesizer or Aphex 204 Aural Exciter and Optical Big Bottom or Peavey Kosmos? Anybody tried that ?
Cheers lads.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1270638' date='Jun 15 2011, 08:35 PM']You mean a pure clean smooth sub sound?

Octave down -> Low Pass Filter = Pure clean huge sub[/quote]

Again, I'm awful at describing this, the closest song I've found so far is in some Dubmood stuff, like the original Kenny the Toffelskater - the bass in that is getting on for what I'm after, sounds like a super quick response synth with a bit of delay to my ears, but my ears are poor - I get that the music is from cracking, but that doesn't make the sound unattainable! :)

Personally I've achieved a similar dub sound before even getting an octave pedal by rolling my tone off, AND my treble, AND using side of my thumb AND up by the neck/end of the fretboard AND boosting the bass...

...maybe a LPF would be a quicker way to get between that sound and other sounds :)