Why become a member? ×

Drum N Bass/Dubstep

Jarhead

Just finished recording our 2nd EP yesterday - Bits of editing to do this week and then a final mix in a few weeks time. So proud of the work, big step forwards in what we do, lots of moogerfooger action in each track and guest vocals (!) on one track from this rather talented fellow - [url="http://duke01.com/"]http://duke01.com/[/url]

Excited about getting this stuff done!

• 2 weeks later...

just got the heads-up from Will Cady @ Source Audio that the Bass Envelope Filter Pro is now available at Thomann.de for those who are interested.

now i'm just wishing my life away 'til payday (as usual..)

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/source_audio_soundblox_pro_bass_envelope.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/source_audio_soun...ss_envelope.htm[/url]

Edited by phil.i.stein

Hey guys...

Sorry for jumping in here...had a brief look through the thread. Interesting stuff!

Any thoughts on using the Line 6 M9/13 for this kind of stuff. Can it make those dirty DnB/Dub Step sounds with the use of some expression pedals?

Any advice on that would be awesome thanks chaps!

Jam

Ok...so since I posted that last comment I've had a play around...

See the attached file chaps...let me know what you think!

[attachment=86930:DubStep_1.mp3]
I've got an EBS OctaBass > MXR Bass Auto Q > Ibanez SB7 > Mesa Boogie Bottle Rocket ... I experimented with having the the Synth before the valve drive and the other way around...interesting stuff me thinks!

I shouldn't have looked at this thread though, it's going to be the end of me!

Let me know what you reckon lads and ladies...

Jam

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='1338382' date='Aug 13 2011, 03:49 AM']just got the heads-up from Will Cady @ Source Audio that the Bass Envelope Filter Pro is now available at Thomann.de for those who are interested.

now i'm just wishing my life away 'til payday (as usual..)

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/source_audio_soundblox_pro_bass_envelope.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/source_audio_soun...ss_envelope.htm[/url][/quote]

I have a feeling my moog LPF will be sold for this.

[quote name='fatgoogle' post='1339395' date='Aug 14 2011, 10:31 AM']I have a feeling my moog LPF will be sold for this.[/quote]
mmm... i would hang on to it. have both (finances permitting). they both have their own unique functions as i'm sure you're aware.

best of both worlds and all that.. :)

but if you're seriously getting rid of it, PM me, as i'd love to have both guns in the cabinet.

Edited by phil.i.stein

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1339308' date='Aug 14 2011, 08:22 AM']Sounds good dude... Got the basics/root of the D&B sound there. Loads of fun to be had :)

Next - Modulation.... Chorus & Trem :)[/quote]

Thanks pal...any suggestions on the signal chain I have there?

Exciting!

[quote name='bassjamm' post='1339489' date='Aug 14 2011, 11:54 AM']Thanks pal...any suggestions on the signal chain I have there?

Exciting![/quote]

Well, if I was given the 3 pedals you used my 1st setup attempt would be Octave-Synth-Envelope, as it sounds as though you are using the synth as a dirt effect and I find high gain effects work better before envelopes, however I run my markbass supersynth after envelope as it has more clarity and keep fuzz/distortion and noose stuff before.

Most importantly is how it sounds and I'd say what you have sounds great as it is!

Additional modulation should come later though so it modulates the entire complex signal...

Shep

I can't wait to get my hands on it!

Think I'd like to get a Moog MF-101 as well, and the Mesa Boogie Bottle Rocket that I have is simply insane! Love it...!

I think that set-up would see me set up for life! That and as many expression pedals as I can get my hands on! Ha!

That's a good sound you've got for getting started on. I like the synth still going down whilst you change notes.

I've been looking at the M13 too & seriously toying with the idea of selling/trading the Bass Murf for one. Thing is, I like the fact that the murf gives me a pretty unique sound & there's possibilities with it that I'm just starting to explore (I'll record some soon).
What's the octave section like on the M13?

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1340325' date='Aug 15 2011, 09:03 AM']That's a good sound you've got for getting started on. I like the synth still going down whilst you change notes.

I've been looking at the M13 too & seriously toying with the idea of selling/trading the Bass Murf for one. Thing is, I like the fact that the murf gives me a pretty unique sound & there's possibilities with it that I'm just starting to explore (I'll record some soon).
What's the octave section like on the M13?[/quote]

Thanks man. I had 3 or 4 different lines going on there though, so the synth sliding down was a separate line!

I've not got my hands on the M13 yet, hoping to pick it up tonight! But the octaver is based on the EBS OctaBass which I have the pedal of. The pedal version is ok, the tracking fades away quite quickly on low input instruments, but the M13 will allow me to boost the signal pre-octaver I guess which should counter-act that :)

Looking forward to getting my hands on it that's for sure!

Had a bit more of a play around tonight having picked up the M13...it's beasty!

Need some expression pedals I reckon...that would just make it monstrous!

Here's a little clip of me jamming with it...

[attachment=87132:DubStep_2.mp3]

Jam

Edited by bassjamm

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings from the US- fellow dnb synth bass player here & spend a lot of time on US forums- but it hit me one day- this music started on the other side of the Atlantic so let’s see what they’re doing over there… Great thread you have here- read it from start to finish.

I saw some mention of the Source Audio Bass Envelope Filter Pro- I got one about a month ago and it is everything it's hyped up to be. The filters all sound great & knocked the grove regulator 2 off my board (imo this is much more of a funk then synth.) The ability to trigger the filters multiple ways (envelope, hot hand, lfo) & add lfo's makes this one KILLER pedal for synth bass. I wanted to note that it can not (directly) do what the moog- mf101 or iron ether xerograph do as far as controlling the cutoff freq of the filter BUT you can work around it with backpage parameters and expression pedal control to still get awesome deep dubby sounds.

Also there are some new exciting pedals coming out within the next few months (still in development) that should help achieve the live dnb dubstep synth bass sound, since I didn’t read anything about them on here figured I‘d give you all the heads up:

[b]The Mini Expressionator[/b] will allow one expression pedal control for 3 expression pedal capable pedals.

“It also will have the ability to use different taper presets such as linear, inverse linear, audio (where it ramps up at the end of the sweep) and a couple that are still being considered.

the Expressionator uses digital pots to control each pedal input so depending on which taper you select that will be how your treadle (expression pedal) behaves. It will actually turn an audio taper into a linear.... correct it, so to speak. I would imagine that both your BOSS/VPjr will behave the same way through this box, and you would just choose whichever one you like best as far as feel, looks or what fits on your pedalboard. The Taper LEDs have a secondary function of being meter (kind of like those visual volume pedals) so it shows you how the pedal is reading your taper.... and the taper/meter LEDs change color depending on what channel you are on.”

[b]Copilot FX[/b] is working on a new analog octaver named the[b] Cubic[/b]- there are clips floating around online- this thing sounds FAT and as blasphemous as it may sound it could very easily rival the OC2. It has more control over the Octaves tone & volume and also has a glich synth fuzz included in the circuit.

[url="http://soundcloud.com/marcsterlingbass/copilotfx-cubic-prototype"]http://soundcloud.com/marcsterlingbass/cop...cubic-prototype[/url]

[b]Red Panda Particle Granular Pitch Shifter/Delay[/b] this is a wild sounding pedal that chops the input signal into little grains of sounds to manipulate the sound. It can do the standard pitch shifting and delay sounds but also is capable of doing chorusy, ringmodish, modulated sounds. It really is a killer pedal.

[url="http://redpandalab.tumblr.com/post/3351236430/prototype-granular-pitch-shift-with-feedback"]http://redpandalab.tumblr.com/post/3351236...t-with-feedback[/url]

‪Red Panda Particle - Granular Pitch/Delay - delay LFO mode‬‏ - YouTube

[b]Subdecay Prometheus [/b]DLX www.subdecay.com/prometheus-dlx-deluxe-resonant-filter step filtering and super resonant filter.

(I’m at work now and cant properly link to all of the sound samples/pictures because sites are blocked- but google searches will turn up some more info)

[quote name='timbrewolff' post='1353657' date='Aug 27 2011, 04:12 PM']Greetings from the US- fellow dnb synth bass player here & spend a lot of time on US forums- but it hit me one day- this music started on the other side of the Atlantic so let’s see what they’re doing over there… Great thread you have here- read it from start to finish.

I saw some mention of the Source Audio Bass Envelope Filter Pro- I got one about a month ago and it is everything it's hyped up to be. The filters all sound great & knocked the grove regulator 2 off my board (imo this is much more of a funk then synth.) The ability to trigger the filters multiple ways (envelope, hot hand, lfo) & add lfo's makes this one KILLER pedal for synth bass. I wanted to note that it can not (directly) do what the moog- mf101 or iron ether xerograph do as far as controlling the cutoff freq of the filter BUT you can work around it with backpage parameters and expression pedal control to still get awesome deep dubby sounds.

Also there are some new exciting pedals coming out within the next few months (still in development) that should help achieve the live dnb dubstep synth bass sound, since I didn’t read anything about them on here figured I‘d give you all the heads up:

[b]The Mini Expressionator[/b] will allow one expression pedal control for 3 expression pedal capable pedals.

“It also will have the ability to use different taper presets such as linear, inverse linear, audio (where it ramps up at the end of the sweep) and a couple that are still being considered.

the Expressionator uses digital pots to control each pedal input so depending on which taper you select that will be how your treadle (expression pedal) behaves. It will actually turn an audio taper into a linear.... correct it, so to speak. I would imagine that both your BOSS/VPjr will behave the same way through this box, and you would just choose whichever one you like best as far as feel, looks or what fits on your pedalboard. The Taper LEDs have a secondary function of being meter (kind of like those visual volume pedals) so it shows you how the pedal is reading your taper.... and the taper/meter LEDs change color depending on what channel you are on.”

[b]Copilot FX[/b] is working on a new analog octaver named the[b] Cubic[/b]- there are clips floating around online- this thing sounds FAT and as blasphemous as it may sound it could very easily rival the OC2. It has more control over the Octaves tone & volume and also has a glich synth fuzz included in the circuit.

[url="http://soundcloud.com/marcsterlingbass/copilotfx-cubic-prototype"]http://soundcloud.com/marcsterlingbass/cop...cubic-prototype[/url]

[b]Red Panda Particle Granular Pitch Shifter/Delay[/b] this is a wild sounding pedal that chops the input signal into little grains of sounds to manipulate the sound. It can do the standard pitch shifting and delay sounds but also is capable of doing chorusy, ringmodish, modulated sounds. It really is a killer pedal.

[url="http://redpandalab.tumblr.com/post/3351236430/prototype-granular-pitch-shift-with-feedback"]http://redpandalab.tumblr.com/post/3351236...t-with-feedback[/url]

[b]Subdecay Prometheus [/b]DLX www.subdecay.com/prometheus-dlx-deluxe-resonant-filter step filtering and super resonant filter.

(I’m at work now and cant properly link to all of the sound samples/pictures because sites are blocked- but google searches will turn up some more info)[/quote]
greetings to you too ! :)

stay on here, and check out the 'live dubstep' thread if you haven't already ! edit : i forgot, it's already on TB

the expressionator is going to be another game-changer, as is the b.e.f. pro, i'm having to wait for mine, but never mind..

Edited by phil.i.stein

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='1353693' date='Aug 27 2011, 11:37 AM']greetings to you too ! :)

stay on here, and check out the 'live dubstep' thread if you haven't already ! edit : i forgot, it's already on TB

the expressionator is going to be another game-changer, as is the b.e.f. pro, i'm having to wait for mine, but never mind..[/quote]

thank you

Yes! Fattymans live dubstep is really stellar. Big fan!

as far as the expressionator goes: it's something I've dreamed of for a long time & I'm probably going to need 2 of them haha

Edited by timbrewolff

[quote name='timbrewolff' post='1353657' date='Aug 27 2011, 04:12 PM']Greetings from the US- fellow dnb synth bass player here & spend a lot of time on US forums- but it hit me one day- this music started on the other side of the Atlantic so let’s see what they’re doing over there… Great thread you have here- read it from start to finish.

(I’m at work now and cant properly link to all of the sound samples/pictures because sites are blocked- but google searches will turn up some more info)[/quote]

So many useful things, yet so little money.

Also were can i buy a 3 way looper, were i can turn off and on each individual loop. So i can have each one separate but mix them together how i like.