Why become a member? ×

Sting .... and his gob..

witterth

[quote name='SteveK' post='691911' date='Dec 22 2009, 10:20 PM']Yep! Change key.

The most important thing is to find the key that allows you sing the song the best way that you can.

I think most singers would have a problem singing Police/Stings songs in the original key.[/quote]
yes mate, I'd figured a key change :rolleyes:
but even D (or Eb)is too hard!!
is there some trick? is what I was asking?
probably not..... :)
I dont know much about singing.......is all...
ATB
W

[quote]but even D (or Eb)is too hard!![/quote]
Then what is wrong with C, B, Bb or A?
There is no right or wrong key.
As I said, choose whichever key feels/sounds best to you.

BTW There is no "trick" as such, but if you're serious about singing, then you may want to consider a vocal coach. There are exercises that will increase your range.

I was listening to some Police in the car the other day and, compared to Fields of Gold, his voice has deepened since those days. Hopefully as the result of some singing lessons. It sounds to me that his untrained voice sounds like the air escaping from a hot air balloon because thats where it was strongest.

I can sing in the original key sometimes, I've got a fairly high singing voice but the range is pretty limited.

[quote name='witterth' post='691898' date='Dec 22 2009, 10:06 PM']I've been "trying" to sing "Roxanne" all day and just can't get there (G Minor isn't it?) my throat really hurts now!! any "tips" guys?
I can do the bass part/sing ..thing but getting the key.......jesus.....am doing it I wrong?[/quote]

My 2 cents: go down to a card shop and get some helium balloons. :)
P

Then what is wrong with C, B, Bb or A?
There is no right or wrong key.

well, some of those keys make the high notes even higher!!!! and then guitar players start moaning about being "authentic" dont they?
Ill try your Ideas though guys
ps. dont worry about "hurting"my voice.... it's nowt to write home about in the first place! :)

[quote name='mrcrow' post='692434' date='Dec 23 2009, 04:44 PM']its Gm..so if you want to go down...and keep the tonality
you need to use minor keys

whatever fits your voice range....take the highest note and come down from that...[/quote]
I know its in a minor key 'cos thats ....well just what it is!
but I do take your point about starting with the "highest" note, good idea!!!

I can't remember which I used, but I tried some vocal tablets before doing a new year's eve gig last year and they really helped. I mean it was easier to sound good from the off with only a bit of warming up beforehand. They really feel nice. i think the ones I used were vocalzone tablets. not sure, though.

[quote name='iamapirate' post='692874' date='Dec 24 2009, 11:58 AM']I can't remember which I used, but I tried some vocal tablets before doing a new year's eve gig last year and they really helped. I mean it was easier to sound good from the off with only a bit of warming up beforehand. They really feel nice. i think the ones I used were vocalzone tablets. not sure, though.[/quote]
DRUGS??? to enhance your musical perfomance? do musicians do that???

Speaking of the Stingmeister, did anyone see the promo film for the Winters Tale thing in Durham Cathedral last night on BBC1?
As someone who grew up in the NE from 1960 till 1973 I enjoyed the music and shots of him going around his old haunts.
However I lost some of my respect for him when he went to by a "United" football book from a market and got his lackey to pay for it, as apparently he does not carry cash on him!
I know he has more money than the Queen but when I'm a multi-millionaire I'll:

A: keep editorial control of anything I'm on and
B: carry some cash on me!