Why become a member? ×

PIL

sshorepunk

[quote name='BigRedX' post='689560' date='Dec 20 2009, 10:18 AM']Do you mean PiL?

Sorry but without Wobble or Levene, it's just a Lydon solo tour IMO.[/quote]

Yes, I mean PiL :)

It might be, but still a great show, good sound, good songs played by good musicians. I had a great night out last night
if you're a fan, getting all anal about who's playing and then not going is a bit sad IMHO, a bit like not going cos he sells butter :-)

He even thanked country life

T

I suppose it's all down to what you want from Mr Lydon...

For me the classic PiL is their OGWT performance of Poptones and Careering. Also TBH I'm not sure that I would want to see them 30 years on - a good 28 years past their sell-by date rehashing past glories. That simply doesn't appeal to me.

I'd rather see Mr Lydon do something brand new. He's got the creativity, and his reputation would still draw in the audience. Obviously his US property investments weren't as sound as he hoped...

[quote name='BigRedX' post='689747' date='Dec 20 2009, 02:01 PM']I suppose it's all down to what you want from Mr Lydon...

For me the classic PiL is their OGWT performance of Poptones and Careering. Also TBH I'm not sure that I would want to see them 30 years on - a good 28 years past their sell-by date rehashing past glories. That simply doesn't appeal to me.

I'd rather see Mr Lydon do something brand new. He's got the creativity, and his reputation would still draw in the audience. Obviously his US property investments weren't as sound as he hoped...[/quote]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnBq98uUJE4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnBq98uUJE4[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rtwiMFDWa0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rtwiMFDWa0[/url]

Heard Jah Wobble being interviewed on the radio a while ago & they asked him why he wasn't involved in the PiL tour - he said there was no animosity, but he'd turned it down & would only be up for doing it if they were going to write some new stuff. Was quite impressed by that - must have turned down a massive wedge of cash to stick to his principles.

Still wouldn't have minded seeing this PiL tour though - shame they never made it to Newcastle...

B.

[quote name='sshorepunk' post='689691' date='Dec 20 2009, 12:45 PM']....if you're a fan, getting all anal about who's playing and then not going is a bit sad IMHO, a bit like not going cos he sells butter....[/quote]
Don't knock the butter ads; apparently they paid for the tour!

[quote name='sshorepunk' post='689691' date='Dec 20 2009, 12:45 PM']if you're a fan, getting all anal about who's playing and then not going is a bit sad IMHO,[/quote]

Surely you go see a band to see who's playing, don't you? So who's playing becomes something of a key criterion, really.

PIL were lauded for their creativity, and that's what impressed me about them. I wouldn't want to go just to see their old tunes trotted out by whatever band could be assembled. I think it says a lot that Jah Wobble only wanted to get back together with them to create more music, not recreate the old music.

They're the last band that should be a museum piece.

Good discussion this, I agree, would have been great to see Wobble and Levine with the band, but regardless of the line up, it was a good gig and a great sound. The guitarist was excellent, as was the drummer. Scott firth did a great job of holding down the bottom end in the absence of Mr Wobble. He played 4 and 5 string, not sure what, I couldn't see, he played through an Aguillar rig and played EUB on a few tracks and it sounded really good

Tony

• 3 weeks later...