Why become a member? ×

Swapping back & forth between 34" & 35" scale

molan

My current #1 bass is a 34" scale Alleva Coppolo LG5 & I picked up a 2nd 34" scale (Shuker custom BO) at the weekend as part of a trade deal.

Having spent a fair bit of time playing both over the weekend I then swapped over & started playing a couple of my 35" scale J shaped basses and noticed I was 'stumbling' over notes down near the nut, mostly first 3-3 fret stuff.

Both of the 34's just felt more all round comfortable than the 35's so I'm now thinking that maybe I'll swap over to 34's permanently (I have 4 x 4 stringers that are obviously all 34" scale as well).

I just wondered whether many other people swap back & forth easily or whether people tend to choose one or the other & stick with it?

You have to take into account that I'm a pretty 'rudimentary' player so having to consiously think about different scale lengths doesn't do me many favours when trying to correct my dodgy left hand technique, lol.

I swap frequently between 30.75" and 34" scales (always 4s) and don't experience any problem - I think I'm just very accustomed to both. When I've used 35" scales in the past (and I've had a few), the difference between that and a 34" seemed really quite pronounced, often quite uncomfortable. I've spent years fluffing notes all over the place on any scale length, however, I did find 35s made the situation much worse - I think I just found the limits of my tolerance (there may be something in individual physiology here - I'm of average height and slight build). One of the more annoying factors with a 35 was having to really concentrate on accuracy, rather than playing in a more intuitive (more fun) style

On Saturday's gig I interchanged between 35" (Modulus Quantum) and 34" (Stringray) and didn't think about the difference.

I wouldn't be surprised if the old 'muscle memory' thing kicks in. ie. you adapt through the brain and fingers working things out between them automatically.

Where I do suspect that scale length plays a part is where a player's hand/fingers is sized and shaped in such a way that makes one scale length more comfortable than the other, though radius and neck shape and width come in to this as well of course.

As an aside, I'm not a fan of short scale bass guitars normally, but there was something about the vintage EBO I played at the Geordie Bass Bash last month that made me question my own pre-concieved conviction.

I swap between a 34" and 36" 5 String and it doesnt really bother me that much. The 36 took about ten minutes to get used to initially but know its fine. I think the kind of bass makes a difference to the feel as well though.

My best friend has a Lakland 5 with 35" scale and that feels really awkward and big to me and I just cant get comfortable with it. On the other hand my 36" Overwater is nice and compact and well thought out in comparrison and I don't really find the extra length and issue because of where the body sits and how it fits with me.

Although 34" is ok on a 5 string, after using the Overwater for a couple of months I dont think I would want to drop below 35" scale for a 5 string.

I play 30, 34, 35 and 36" scale basses and don't really have a problem swapping between them. However most of the time the different scale length basses are used for different jobs, so it's not as though I'm trying to play the same thing on different scale lengths.

I would say though that I don't find much advantage with 35" scale, the best B is on one of my 34" scale basses and if I want the tension of extra long scale I prefer 36".

I think there is a lot to be said for constants between your basses

I don't play 4 strings anymore for that reason...
I don't like different string spacing although I am coping quite well..atm...with a J5 and P5 type nut spacing.
I am not sure I could chop between 17mm and 19mm at the bridge though.

But... I think these changes take more than a few weeks to get really comfortable.

I am currently deciding whether to keep and run 3 basses... and my (strong ) feeling is that it will not work for me, so I have a crunching and difficult decision to make. I already know what it is likely to be....

By all means give it more time, between the scales but only you will be able to say whether it really works for you.

[quote name='JTUK' post='684930' date='Dec 15 2009, 10:40 AM']I think there is a lot to be said for constants between your basses
so I have a crunching and difficult decision to make. I already know what it is likely to be....[/quote]

I have a feeling that sticking to 34" is going to be the way ahead for me - if so then it's going to hurt me too.

There are 4 x 35" basses sitting at home & three of them (Spector NS5XL, MTD535 & Overwater J) are amongst the best basses I've ever owned so it'll be a real wrench if I decide to sell them :)

[quote name='chris_b' post='684967' date='Dec 15 2009, 11:25 AM']My thoughts too. And, if you've got an AC why are you playing anything else?[/quote]

Because they are there, lol.

I do need to keep at least 2 main basses on the go at any one time though. I keep one at my rehearsal space as I have to ride a bike there.

The last thing I needed to hear was that there is a chance a MTD 535 could be for sale in the near future! :)

Its a really difficult issue that obviously only you can make a final descison on. I find that time spent equally between both scales does help and your body can remeber what both are like after a while without stumbling over notes. If you play one instrument a lot more than others then you will obviously get used to that instrument and notice the difference when you switch. The next logical question I would maybe ask myself in this case would be why am I playing one more than the other?

One thing I will say is that if you find yourself favouring one or two instruments (sounds like its the Alleva and Shuker...Nice!) do you actually need the others despite them being fantastic instruments? I had a few basses at one point and as lovely as they were I only really played one. Ok it didnt quite give me every sound but it was more than enough for what I needed, so the others went and I am currently bonding with one bass (I have another which i kept for sentimental reasons) and really getting to know it well.

I think what I am trying to say is spend enough time with any instrument and I personally believe you will adapt and get comfortable with it and really get to know it. I think one reason I was so unhappy with instruments in the past is that I never gave one enough time to really get to know it.

It was actually Mark at Bass Direct that gave me a good talking to about multiple basses when I went there and I thank him so much for that talking to!

[quote]the best B is on one of my 34" scale basses[/quote]

Any consensus on what the best 34" fivers might be in terms of B string?

I'm facing the same dilemma; I want a fretted five, but I like my fretless 4, and I don't want any confusion betrween 34 and 35. I've small hands too, so sticking to 34 seems to make sense.

fatback

[quote name='NJE' post='684982' date='Dec 15 2009, 11:39 AM']The last thing I needed to hear was that there is a chance a MTD 535 could be for sale in the near future! :)

gave me a good talking to about multiple basses when I went there and I thank him so much for that talking to![/quote]

Spalted maple as well. . .

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=31207&hl=mtd"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=31207&hl=mtd[/url]

As it happens I absolutely know I need to cut down a bit - I'm up to 10 & that's just too many to do any sort of justice to!

[quote name='fatback' post='684993' date='Dec 15 2009, 11:44 AM']Any consensus on what the best 34" fivers might be in terms of B string?

I'm facing the same dilemma; I want a fretted five, but I like my fretless 4, and I don't want any confusion betrween 34 and 35. I've small hands too, so sticking to 34 seems to make sense.

fatback[/quote]

I can't fault my Alleva but they are seriously 'big' money!

Depends how much you want to spend really?

I feel quite lucky in this regard. Because of playing various double basses over the years and sometimes having to gig different instruments abroad or provided instruments in general, I have learned to very quickly assess the differences between what I'm playing at any given time and what I'm used to playing. The lucky bit is this seems to transfer to bass guitar too, so in germany earlier this year I had a mex Jazz, a Stingray 5 and a double bass all provided on a few gigs, and managed to get on fine with them all.

I had a feeling it was that MTD!

That bass has haunted me ever since I first saw it, STUNNING in every way! I dont envy your descison making process in narrowing down a collection that comprises of Alleva, MTD and Overwater.

Good luck and I hope you make a descison your going to be happy with.

For 5's I think string spacing is at least as important as scale length. The market trend over the last decade for 5's seems to be towards wider string spacings, which naturally aids slap'n'pop, but I'm not so sure this is a good thing as it almost inevitably means a wider and less accessible neck. So, if you're not really into slap, maybe going for a narrow, fast neck might be the way forward...

[quote name='fatback' post='684993' date='Dec 15 2009, 11:44 AM']Any consensus on what the best 34" fivers might be in terms of B string?

fatback[/quote]

Good question..

When I was looking for a 5, there were arguments between neck thuu, bolt-on or 35" scale.

I tried a few that were not convincing so I had one made by Sei and that was neck thru 34". Great defined B.
I now have two other Sei J5's and they are bolt-on 34"..and they sound good as well... and one of them is as good as the neck thru..
the other needs a bit more work from me set-up wise as I have only had it just over a week.

I would vouch for a DJ5 ( bolt-on 35" ) but mostly, you are going to have to hear them to really know for sure. I don't think there is a definitive answer.

IME....

[quote name='sdgrsr400' post='685096' date='Dec 15 2009, 12:53 PM']For 5's I think string spacing is at least as important as scale length. The market trend over the last decade for 5's seems to be towards wider string spacings, which naturally aids slap'n'pop, but I'm not so sure this is a good thing as it almost inevitably means a wider and less accessible neck. So, if you're not really into slap, maybe going for a narrow, fast neck might be the way forward...[/quote]

My Spector is my favourite 35" for precisely this reason :)

[quote name='molan' post='684933' date='Dec 15 2009, 10:45 AM']I have a feeling that sticking to 34" is going to be the way ahead for me - if so then it's going to hurt me too.

There are 4 x 35" basses sitting at home & three of them (Spector NS5XL, MTD535 & Overwater J) are amongst the best basses I've ever owned so it'll be a real wrench if I decide to sell them :)[/quote]

Sympathise with this, as I had mine made for me and I have had it for a good few years and loads of work and memories...
I just think that the 2 J5's will streamline what I want to do and be less hassle switching between the 2..... sad but true..

It isn't the bass at all, it just makes sense to run 2 jazz' with one as a backup, than travel with 2 different basses.
I think you need to know the instruments to know whether that makes sense.

Can I afford or justify having a sentimental but valuable bass not getting used...at all..???

[quote name='sdgrsr400' post='685096' date='Dec 15 2009, 12:53 PM']For 5's I think string spacing is at least as important as scale length. The market trend over the last decade for 5's seems to be towards wider string spacings, which naturally aids slap'n'pop, but I'm not so sure this is a good thing as it almost inevitably means a wider and less accessible neck. So, if you're not really into slap, maybe going for a narrow, fast neck might be the way forward...[/quote]

Interesting point.

I'm still in mourning over a '68 Jazz I sold many years ago. Fastest most comfortable thing i ever played.

OK, so I'm looking for a 34" narrow neck Jazz V.

fatback