Why become a member? ×

This is getting interesting!!!!

neilb

[quote name='neilb' post='680595' date='Dec 10 2009, 07:58 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320459736595#description"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...595#description[/url]

IMHO, the stock looks sus from the photo,thats not a MIM logo from any era.[/quote]

Hmm, did Vintage (the company) ever make a Precision copy?

[quote name='pete.young' post='680788' date='Dec 10 2009, 11:05 PM']Hmm, did Vintage (the company) ever make a Precision copy?[/quote]

Given that the first line of the ad says "GENUINE FENDER PRECISSION BASS GUITAR", I don't think the seller is going for the "Precision by Vintage" angle.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='680797' date='Dec 10 2009, 11:10 PM']I've said it before but once the feedback slips below 99.0% I always avoid. The reluctance to answer questions is bizarre, in part because it is the seller's option as to whether answers go online. Bizarre[/quote]
I am no longer sure that feedback is useful.

I left negative feedback for a commercial seller and they were so desperate to get it deleted, they started saying things like 'is there anything in our catalogue that interests you?'

I was so hacked-off with them that I stood firm, but I can see that others might take the offer as compensation and delete the feedback.

David

TBH, that looks to me like a bit of old 70's tat that's not even a Fender. Spray looks wrong, logo looks wrong, profile of arm cutaway looks wrong, frets look skinny as paperclip wire. Pot knobs def wrong for a Fender but right for Japcrap. Antoria? Columbus?

And the chances of him just happening to have a Fender hang-tag are miniscule. He may not be a scammer - just someone who's acquired what he thinks is a Fender and is now beginning to panic.

[color="#FF0000"][i][size=1]Edited to remove equivocation :)[/size][/i][/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='680872' date='Dec 11 2009, 12:28 AM']i'm not disputing, merely want to see what to look out for...what is it about this bass (apart from the tw@-esque answers) that give it away as a non-genuine mid-90's fender?[/quote]

The clues are mainly in the listing. Firstly you don't advertise that you have a "genuine vintage Fender", and then forget to put the year on. Especially if you're also claiming to have the original tag. Additionally to that, actual vintage Fenders comfortably fetch four figures. If the guy thought what he had was a real vintage Fender he'd have put up a starting price of anything over £1,800. Five hundred quid is clear evidence that he knows he's got a fake and is trying to overprice it, but doesn't want to push his luck [i]too[/i] far.

Then in the questions, what ends up being funny is, as well as contradicting people who point out that it's not a real Fender, he then goes on to eventually state that he reckons it's a '93 MIM Precision, which takes it squarely out of the "vintage" definition, and also clearly indicates that five hundred quid is still too much (even if it were a real MIM Fender - a good '93 MIM P might get you four hundred if you're lucky). That and he won't give the serial number. Why he'd be so protective of a mass-produced '93 bass serial is beyond me, but the obvious answer is that there isn't one. Finally, you look at his other items for sale. Diesel Jeans, bit of old Dyson hose, horse blankets, some hi-fi speakers and a bunch of bathroom appliances. Not that this on its own is reason enough to suspect the seller, but when added to everything else, it becomes clear that this is some guy who has an online junk shop, and fancies himself a bit of a Del-boy.

Then you look at the instrument itself, going from what photos are available.

The #1 big giveaway that this is a faker is the fact that the black goes well into the arm contour. The reason cheaper basses overspray the black is to hide the fact that the bass is ply. The shape of the arm contour here is also a giveaway. This contour is beveled in a curve. Real Fender contours are beveled straight across, and the black is uniformly wide all around the body, as you can see here:

Compare it to his body, where you'll also notice that the spray is uneven around the jack socket area. Also God knows what those vol/tone buttons are from, but safe to say they ain't standard Fender, and that's something you'd point out if you were selling the genuine article. Also I did a bit of looking and there were no MIM Fenders that came with bridge and pickup covers in 1993. In fact I don't think you could even get a maple/3TS/tort MIM Fender Precision at all in 1993. Also the logo is wrong for a '93, but you'd have to look hard to find that out if you didn't know.

All of these things are what don't fool big nerds like me for a second, but are entirely susceptible to fool some kid into paying more money for this piece of fake crap than he would for an actual MIM P. That's why I hate d*cks like this, and I wish eBay would actually do their jobs properly and shop these people to the police.

Rather than all the supposition about whether it's this or that, do we not have a secret agent in the Spalding area Lincolnshire who can go and answer all these points?

Christ, the guy is operating from a recycling and reuse centre. Who cares whether he doesn't know the year or the country of manufacture, he probably has more to worry about as to how he's going to dispose of all the old fridges and CRT screens. If he didn't put the word Genuine in his advert people would have been moaning it was a fake. It's no win for the bloke. Plus, what is the point of people saying it's a fake and the backtracking by saying, 'but I could be wrong...', just to cover their asses.

P

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='680959' date='Dec 11 2009, 08:32 AM']Who cares whether he doesn't know the year or the country of manufacture, he probably has more to worry about as to how he's going to dispose of all the old fridges and CRT screens. If he didn't put the word Genuine in his advert people would have been moaning it was a fake. It's no win for the bloke.[/quote]

Well yeah, but you see fake Fenders on eBay all the time, and mostly people are decent enough point out that they're not real ones. And if this guy doesn't know whether or not it's a fake, he could at least have the decency to not make the balls-out claim that it's a "genuine vintage", and to not contradict people who contact him directly indicating that it's not real.

I don't honestly give a sh*t what his other business consists of, if he doesn't have the time to know what he's selling he shouldn't be selling it. And this is quite clearly a guy trying very hard to pass off a shoddy counterfeit as the valuable genuine article.