Why become a member? ×

thinking of selling my gear

guitarnbass

Good idea? This stuff is just not earning me any money. I had one phone call about beginners lessons in 12 months, and he never showed up, I had one offer to join a function band and that fell through. I could totally use the money at the moment, and since it's not earned me any money... Cause of that I've kind of lost interest a bit, lol when I was crap I wanted to play, and now I can play pretty much anything - I don't want to play! Maybe it doesn't really mean as much to me as I thought it did, but if I sell all this stuff, I don't want to end up regretting it, I don't know what to do! Any advice?

Selling your gear? You mean ALL your gear?

Having a clear out is always a good idea, but I'm not sure I could live without anything at all. I didn't play in bands for about 3 years and as a result scarcely picked up a bass in that time. But I still felt the need to noodle every now and then. Then I got back in the saddle and joined another band, which I'm sure wouldn't have happened if I'd sold all my stuff.

If some income from bass is important right now maybe you could be a bit more pro-active about looking for students or a covers band?

This truely is a sad state of affairs - I can't imagine my life without playing and it always saddens me to here of people giving it up...

I find it a great outlet to the stresses and strains of everyday life and would urge you to hang onto the minimum amount of gear and don't lose the faith :)

Well if you feel that you're at a level where you can play pretty much anything, I'd keep hold of it, don't be so hasty. Why not get some ads out? You may not end up with an ideal playing situation but you could get into a regularly working band, just let them know from the start you don't drive. Being a non driver shouldn't get in the way in my opinion, we used to have a drummer who couldn't drive but he was a good player, he was worth picking up and I suspect you too are at a good level, so in theory you'd be worth picking up too :)

Don't sell up!!! get out there, tell them you're good just like you did in your post by saying you can play pretty much anything.

Keep it, something will turn up. :huh:

I don't think bass gear is a wise investment if you want a solid income from it. But I think if you sell everything you own you'll only end up buying stuff to replace it when you realise that you want to play bass again. Maybe minimise your gear but keep hold of a bass and a band-worthy amp. There's always bands out there looking for a good bassist - maybe put financial considerations to one side and join a project for the love of the music alone? Or put the gear away and take a break.

If you can play pretty much anything, why not seek out the things you can't play? I've just started tackling the seemingly impossible Havona (I may get the hang of it before I die...) Can you play that?

Alex

hmmm must admit i kinda know where you're coming from - i occasionally have the idea of selling absolutely everything and knocking it all on the head (normally after a string of crappy rehearsals or poor gigs) - i mean whats the point of it all, like you say it doesn't get you anywhere!! plus if i sold all my stuff i could have a fantastic holiday of a lifetime!!!

but.....

i know i'd miss it if i did! don't go making any rash decisions!!!!!

and yeah, if you could drive it would certainly make things easier for you.....

peace

c

Edited by 3V17C

Well, my first answer to this problem is - learn to drive. Then you can get to both bands and students. While I'll freely admit to being a crusty old pedant, it's one of my rules never to join any band, or recruit any member, who doesn't have their own wheels. No-one, regardless of talent, should be a burden to the band. And if everyone has wheels, you've got more options when someone's has broken down.

Don't sell, it would be a waste of your talent.

Well I'm in a 13-piece band, so let's face it I'm never going to make any money out of it :)... but I'd sooner cut off my nads with a teaspoon than give up simply because of that. Don't sell up completely. Keep a bass and an amp of sorts, even if it's only a wee one. I guarantee if you sell it all, you'll regret it. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow etc.

Wht not try having a break from playing and doing something else for a bit ,then get gat back into playing but from a different perspective?I locked all my gear in a big cupboard for about three months after a six month (six nights a week,two hours a night,cheesy covers)summer season in cornwall a few years ago.I got a regular job 8till 5 and hardaly thought about playing till I got the itch again and was off plying very soon.
If you flog all your gear and spend the cash will you be in a position to replace it?(I know I coul'nt)
Maybe try listening to something different.
Defo learn to drive.
Good Luck
Cheers Just

[quote name='makemineamythos' post='75019' date='Oct 16 2007, 12:49 PM']I'm a beginner, and i sold my gear after getting frustrated due to living in the middle of nowhere and a frustrating lesson from an unsuitable tutor. 8 months on, I'm now shopping for more gear because, even though I am crap.... I cant live without playing.
DO NOT GIVE UP.... YOU WILL ONLY REGRET IT !!!
RUSS[/quote]

I almost got put off by a cr@p tutor when I first started. I'm still 'hungry' as I'm learning new things all the time, but if your fed up with it then sell it I say sell it all...you'll soon know if your interested anymore because you'll end up buying new stuff.

Edited by Bass_In_Yer_Face

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='75007' date='Oct 16 2007, 12:06 PM']I think if you own it all with the purpose of it making you money then maybe you are betting off doing something else.[/quote]

+1

I love everything about my basses, playing music at home or 'live'.... and the social aspect of being in bands as well. If your sole reason for owning gear & playing is 'making money' then maybe you're not getting all you can out of the whole experience of being a musician?

Guest Bald Eagle

[quote name='guitarnbass' post='74891' date='Oct 16 2007, 12:52 AM']and now I can play pretty much anything[/quote]

Righty oh mate, i'm in Birmingham too and could do with someone else to share my bass enthusiasm with! or at least give me first dibs on the Little Mark II, got a nice TE Combo you could take in p/x :)

Guest Bald Eagle

[quote name='guitarnbass' post='75138' date='Oct 16 2007, 04:45 PM']LOL I won't part with anything just yet, but if I do, I'll let you know about the lm2 first before I offer it here.[/quote]

Nice one cheers, don't know where you are in Brum but i'm going to hire a room at Carbon Studio Kings Norton soon for some serious practice and hopefully then on a regular basis, so give me a shout if you wanna make some noise, show me some chops, or just have a yak about gear :)

If it makes you feel any better... this time last week I was in 3 bands. I'm now in none!

Wimps who won't gig, material that I don't really like and a female singer (hmmmm not found one I can really work with yet and that includes the wife :) ) have conspired to leave me in a position where I'm NOT selling up but I will be busy knocking on doors and calling people up for names and recommendations!

Don't get shot of everything, if nothing else keep a bass under the bed.