Why become a member? ×

Newcastle upon Tyne area

smileegee

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='677730' date='Dec 8 2009, 11:54 AM']It won't work.

Howard.[/quote]

I dunno, I'm not sure how happy I'd be smoking all over the brace of Alembic and Fodera basses I am planning on stocking! :)

Maybe I'll buy basses that are exclusively headless so I can have more room for stock!

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='677767' date='Dec 8 2009, 12:23 PM']I'm an anti-smoking Nazi, but even I'll admit The Bass Place was never the same after the air cleared. :)[/quote]

I'll admit, it had a certain smokey charm before the refurb! I've played some cracking basses there over the years!

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='684568' date='Dec 14 2009, 09:47 PM']Please don't tell me Windows is rubbish now - I bought my first Squier there in the 80s and used to love going there.[/quote]

Windows has never been anything but "rubbish" in my experience, they have always been unpleasent, especially the guy who looks like Neil from the young ones who stands the wrong way round at the counter facing the wall eating seeds....

Then again, now i live in Portsmouth i really miss having the choice of 3 or 4 shops to go mooch around at my will, as all i have now is Nevada and thats a car journey away.

Guitar Guitar, and the now sadly defunct Soundcontrol where my favourites, even though it felt like Soundcontrol again in Guitar Guitar with George kicking around! Its been a year since i was last in Newcastle so i at least hope he's still there!

[quote name='spacecowboy' post='684623' date='Dec 14 2009, 10:38 PM']Windows has never been anything but "rubbish" in my experience, they have always been unpleasent, especially the guy who looks like Neil from the young ones who stands the wrong way round at the counter facing the wall eating seeds....[/quote]

I used to go there as a kid in the mid to late 80s and I don't remember him. I used to flick through the vinyl downstairs and then go through to the instruments section. The shops in Swindon always seemed to have more of an attitude.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='684633' date='Dec 14 2009, 10:44 PM']I used to go there as a kid in the mid to late 80s and I don't remember him. I used to flick through the vinyl downstairs and then go through to the instruments section. The shops in Swindon always seemed to have more of an attitude.[/quote]

Ahh perhaps different decades then, im 23, so all my vists came as a teen in the 2000's, for all my nay saying, my first bass did come from Windows....:)

Windows is... different. I was never enamoured with the instrument bit, but the record basement was always fab, with lots of bargains and obscure stuff. Unfortunately it's been restructured recently and 'dumbed down' a bit. Shame.

To be fair though, the big money for them is in Pianos, Orchestral stuff and local interest music & DVD. They're just focusing in on that.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='684647' date='Dec 14 2009, 10:55 PM']Windows is... different. I was never enamoured with the instrument bit, but the record basement was always fab, with lots of bargains and obscure stuff. Unfortunately it's been restructured recently and 'dumbed down' a bit. Shame.[/quote]
:) Big shame. When I first moved up here, Windows was my go-to spot for CDs. Haven't been in for an age, but it sounds like I'm not missing out.

Now that they've got the unit in the Metro Centre (I don't get into the Toon centre much these days), I've been able to sample the Windows "offering" of instruments more recently... meh. Just meh. It's where you might take your 11-year-old to buy their first bass (assuming you knew nothing about instruments), and then you'd wander around staring upwards for ten minutes (virtually all the basses are hanging with their lowest points about 8 feet off the floor) before being roundly ignored by staff who are about as much use as a ladder made of gas. Not much fun IME.

I was in Newcastle from 86-90 at the CAT. Happy days.

Windows was a great CD shop but you'd always have a mooch downstairs too- I forget the name of the guitar shop that was the place for me. If I remember rightly it was owned by the guys that later owned Soundslive.
I bought a guitar tuner from there that is still going.

My first 5 string was built by Howard Satterley- he had just started making them in about late 1989. Still got the neck as a memento.

Hi all, I bought my first bass from Paul Garvey Music in the Newgate Arcade in the toon in about 1985. It was a sunburst Squier Precision (REALLY wish I still had that bass as I'm gassing for a cheap knockabout P bass now..)

If I remember rightly, it was a fairly poor bass with the chrome peeling off and weak pickups but it was mine all mine.

Does anyone know who Paul Garvey was (if there was such a person) and why the shop closed?

Steve

Howard Satterley! That's the name I've been trying to recall for ages! He repaired my Ibanez MC824 fretboard after I ripped the frets out in one of my "Jaco wannabee" phases! He did a nice job of installing an active pre-amp too.

Thanks for the reminder dude!

[quote name='StevieC' post='685306' date='Dec 15 2009, 03:41 PM']Does anyone know who Paul Garvey was (if there was such a person) and why the shop closed?[/quote]
Hmm.. never heard of him, nor can I recall the shop! A bit before my time, mind....

[quote name='Conan' post='685307' date='Dec 15 2009, 03:41 PM']Howard Satterley! That's the name I've been trying to recall for ages![/quote]
Shhh... he's listening...

Edited by wateroftyne