Why become a member? ×

Newcastle upon Tyne area

smileegee

Hi Bass Doc! I never met you, but at the time (about 20 years or so ago) I was having bass lessons with Kenny Potter, who passed my guitar on to you to sort out. Great job - thanks mate!

Sadly, I'm trying to sell the bass on ebay at the moment, but it must be the wrong time of year or something... Two of them went for £600 the previous week!

I recall Paul Garvey Music... a guitarist I was playing with at the time worked in there - said the boss was a right tw@t!!

What was the name of the little place on High Bridge? Spenders rings a bell... I was once in there when a kid of about 14 came in with his mother. He asked for a Gibson Les Paul gold top to play.... usual scenario - smoke on the water and whole lotta rosie on one string. Anyway, after about 10 minutes of this awful torture his mother pipes up "who do I make the cheque out to?". The guitar was a cool £2500, and this was over 20 years ago!

To add insult to injury, after getting it all packed up and stuff, she says "Oh, and can you recommend anyone who gives guitar lessons?" !!!

Ha ha, the shop in High Bridge Street! I remember often trying to look through the window whilst on my way back to Worswick Street for the bus home!

I can't remember which incarnation it was at the time, nor whether I ever plucked up the courage to actually go in and try something....

[quote name='spacecowboy' post='684623' date='Dec 14 2009, 10:38 PM']Windows has never been anything but "rubbish" in my experience, they have always been unpleasent, especially the guy who looks like Neil from the young ones who stands the wrong way round at the counter facing the wall eating seeds....

Then again, now i live in Portsmouth i really miss having the choice of 3 or 4 shops to go mooch around at my will, as all i have now is Nevada and thats a car journey away.

Guitar Guitar, and the now sadly defunct Soundcontrol where my favourites, even though it felt like Soundcontrol again in Guitar Guitar with George kicking around! Its been a year since i was last in Newcastle so i at least hope he's still there![/quote]

Hhahahahahahha :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='685503' date='Dec 15 2009, 06:09 PM']..or two different halves nailed together. :)[/quote]

:rolleyes: great shop though! i saw a cheap coranado in there as well,anyone know what happened to those 2 spinal tap type guys who used to work at grot in the 90s.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='685311' date='Dec 15 2009, 03:44 PM']Err...that's me. Still active in the workshop department.

Cheers.[/quote]

Howard!
You made a black 5er for me about 20 yrs ago- I was just leaving the CAT to go on a summer season in Cornwall (I had a fretless off you a few years later)
Your 5 prototype had been brought in to college poss by Neil Harland- played that bass for 10yrs straight.

The Bart pre is now in an 80s Squier that I bought '87/88 too. The original neck is on my wall.

Glad to see you're still tweaking.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='685516' date='Dec 15 2009, 06:17 PM']Grott Guitars are indeed a miss - if you had anything stolen from you, at least you knew where to look first (allegedly).[/quote]
Hey, Doc... the rate you're going, you might as well put '...allegedly.' in your signature. :)

[quote name='chardbass' post='685521' date='Dec 15 2009, 06:20 PM']Your 5 prototype had been brought in to college poss by Neil Harland- played that bass for 10yrs straight.[/quote]

Small world... I recently sold Neil a pre-CBS Precision.

played for 10 years straight? You're not straight anymore then? :)

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='685546' date='Dec 15 2009, 06:36 PM']Small world... I recently sold Neil a pre-CBS Precision.

played for 10 years straight? You're not straight anymore then? :rolleyes:[/quote]

Nah, the bass weighed a ton! :)

Neil's a lucky man too- always liked his playing.