Why become a member? ×

hartke bass strings

Geek99

I've just got a packet of 3 x 5 string sets off Ebay for £11 odd(!!!!!!!!!) and in the first packet/set I've put on, the B is pretty dead - the rest are fine, but the tonal difference with the B is so great I'm forced to get a single B and replace it. I suppose at that price I mustn't grumble!

Also, being nickel plated, they leave my fingers black.

G.

Greetings,

I've been using these for a couple of years now & rate them highly. Nice & warm, growly, reasonable lifespan & very economical.

The ball ends seem to be aluminium. I've had one that sheared, which was annoying, & might be a factor if you're especially vigorous (the one that broke was in my Kahler, so you'd have to be [i][b]very[/b][/i] vigorous!).

I'm unsure how consistent they are from set to set though. I have to reset the intonation every time I change a set (something I rarely if ever did when I used to buy EB Hybrids), & I suspect that the stated gauges are not particularly close tolerance - I've had two sets with a slightly rogue D string that are absolutely fine on the fretted stuff but choke around the A2 on the fretless, which implies it might be slightly out of gauge. I don't have a micrometer (or know how to use one) to see if this is the case though.

The main Ebay supplier is a firm called mw-music sales uk. Don't be fooled by the "uk" bit, they're actually in Florida - delivery times seem to be about a week & there may be Customs/Duty issues if ordering in bulk. I've only ever bought single 3-packs which sneak in under the radar, so can't comment if this is the case.

All in all they're very good for the money & ideal if you're on a tight budget or aren't overfussed or are just starting out. I'm staying with 'em for the foreseeable.

Pete.

Had no problems so far, bought a single set to try initially on my jazz and they seemed fine so I bought a 3 pack and used 1 set so far on a P copy I have. I bought the 45-105 roundwounds. The set on the jazz have been on a few months now and they haven't dulled yet.

Good strings but i won't change from my Roto's in future.
Nice sounding on my EB MM stingray5, Ibanez SRX 5 string or even on my Squier fretless.
Can't put them down at all and especially considering the price but nothing wrong with trying, they could be the strings for you!
hope this helped :)

• 1 month later...

Found this guy on Ebay, selling 3 packs of strings.

[url="http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/easynow1010101010"]http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/easynow1010101010[/url]

He did me a good bundle price after winning two auctions (two 3-packs), I messaged him in advance to ask and advising the auctions I wanted the bundle on.
Delivered quickly (given the snow, and that my road is like Narnia at the moment) via UPS.
Recommended.

Edited by Geek99