Why become a member? ×

Obscure Musical Backwaters - The Great SGC Nanyo Thread

Happy Jack

A quick update ... over four years after transferring this topic from Basschat's predecessor website, I've only gone and bought another SGC Nanyo Bass Collection (Made In Japan) with a serial number starting 95.

I've been Bass Collection-free for the past three years but never quite got over them, kept hankering for another.

This one really doesn't disappoint, an SB310 series factory fretless. Just as light and well-balanced as I remember, just as easy to play.

It remains one of the biggest mysteries of modern bass-playing, IMHO, why these basses change hands for so little money.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1267826' date='Jun 13 2011, 08:21 PM']A quick update ... over four years after transferring this topic from Basschat's predecessor website, I've only gone and bought another SGC Nanyo Bass Collection (Made In Japan) with a serial number starting 95.

I've been Bass Collection-free for the past three years but never quite got over them, kept hankering for another.

This one really doesn't disappoint, an SB310 series factory fretless. Just as light and well-balanced as I remember, just as easy to play.

It remains one of the biggest mysteries of modern bass-playing, IMHO, why these basses change hands for so little money.[/quote]

Just picked up a SB110 with active electronics serial number is 000229. £130 +p/p
I've read this thread all 11 pages and nobody mentions the SB110.
I've also got an SB301 serial 26907 how do I date these from the serial numbers on them.
They both have subtle differences, different Bridges, SGC on the pick ups in different places, angle of the jack socket
and screws on the backplate in different positions. Any info would be helpfull. Ta.

Edited by blunderthumbs

[quote name='blunderthumbs' post='1273327' date='Jun 17 2011, 11:16 PM']Just picked up a SB110 with active electronics serial number is 000229.
I've also got an SB301 serial 26907 how do I date these from the serial numbers on them.[/quote]

I've not come across an SB110 before. If the serial number conventions were being continued from the original Japan-made models (a very big [i][b]IF[/b][/i]) then that would imply it was made in 2000.

An SB301 with a 5-digit serial number makes no sense, and is definitely not one of the original Japan-made models. You'll need to establish which "generation" of Bass Collections this one is from to get you started.

• 3 weeks later...

[color="#0000FF"]From an eBay listing which quotes an unnamed American website:[/color]

“Bass Collection” was a line of basses distributed in the US by Meisel Music in Springfield, NJ. These basses were built by the Japanese company, SGC Nanyo. Their 1990 catalog advertised, “A collection of basses for everyone, from the discriminating professional to the serious student,” indicating that they offered several configurations of basses. Bass Collection thrived in the mid-1980s and early 1990s when mid-level price points still succeeded, but by the mid-1990s, cheaper Korean and Chinese imports were beginning to dominate the industry, and Bass Collection could no longer survive. The last catalog I have for Bass Collection is from 1994, and it appears that they stopped producing/ importing shortly thereafter. Retailer Sam Ash of New York, NY bought the remaining inventory from Meisel Music and sold it through their retail stores. Unfortunately, Meisel Music went out of business in August 2008.

As I said before, Bass Collection offered a variety of configurations that were classified by different series. Their entry-level models were the 300 Series, and their topof- the-line models were the 600 Series. Mid-grade models rounded out the line-up with the 400 and 500 Series, and each series had more features and better quality components the higher the number was. All models started with the prefix “SB” and were followed by three digits. “01” indicated a fretted fingerboard, “02” indicated a fretless fingerboard, and “05” indicated five-string configuration. A few left-handed models were offered as well, and in 1991, they introduced the Bass Collection II, which featured a different body shape and different electronics. According to the 1993 price list, retail prices ranged between $659 for the SB301 to $1650 for the SB615. Bass Collection II models ranged in price between $1199 and $1629. It is unknown how many models were produced or imported into the US.

Your bass, the SB401, was one of Bass Collection’s most popular models, mainly because of the attractive combination of features with an affordable price. The SB401 features a solid basswood body, hard rock bolt-on maple neck, 24-fret rosewood fingerboard, Bass Collection’s trademark narrow headstock shape, two-per-side Gotoh tuners, adjustable bridge, active SGC pickups (one P-style and one J-style), four knobs (Volume, Pickup Balance, Treble Boost/Cut, Bass Boost/Cut), black hardware, and 34” scale. It was available in Navy Blue, Pearl White, Silver, or Black finish like yours.

The SB401 last retailed for $995 and sold new for around $700 (the “new” price is what most retailers would sell it for with all standard discounting and minimum advertised pricing policies that may have applied). Today, the SB401 is worth about the same, between $650 and $700, which is a nice return for a Japanese instrument, considering most imports from the 1990s aren’t worth half of their original retail price today. Based on the online reviews I’ve read (along with your sentiment) these basses indeed play like “buttah!” Fewer instruments are coming from Japan today and on the food chain of instrument production, Japan is often referred to as number two behind the US/Canada. I’d certainly consider this a treasure, considering how well it plays and how high the resale value has held.

Nice find Jack, well spotted and good to see it added to this thread. MODS CAN WE HAVE OUR STICKY BACK PLEASE!!

I think the SB110s are the later ones that the Bass Centre are selling now - Chinese made I believe though I could be wrong.

Ive just acquired psychoandy's red 5-string which was fitted with stupidly light strings - 35-110.

I put some 40-125 Hartke's on it because they were lying around but I'm very disappointed with the output of the 'B' which is lower than all the others and much less than my 465.

Next move is a toss up between some DR Sunbeams (I've heard people complain before about the dead 'B' on the Hartke strings), fitting another Artec pre-amp or thinking about a pickup change which is the last resort since the ones in my other Bass Collections are all fine.

Comments, questions, thoughts?

• 3 months later...

With SGC Nanyo Bass Collection's history being shrouded in mystery, I'm wondering if anyone here can help me learn more about the BC I have. I believe I have a '91 4 string active black fretless, with no model number. The serial number printed inside the electronics panel is 911008. It has EMG pickups. It's been forgotten in storage for the past few years, but I believe I received for free on account of some issues with the electronics (probably a poor installation of the EMGs).

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a cheap copy. It says "produced by SGC Nanyo", but also says "made in Korea". Do the copies seem to claim to be made by SGC Nanyo, or just to be Bass Collection? I just dug it up the other day, and I don't have strings or an amp at the moment for testing its quality, but I'd like to know if its worth putting any effort/money into reviving the guitar. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jordan

Here are some pictures:

[attachment=91846:IMG_7253.jpg]
[attachment=91847:IMG_7258.jpg]
[attachment=91848:IMG_7261.jpg]
[attachment=91849:IMG_7262.jpg]
[attachment=91850:IMG_7263.jpg]
[attachment=91851:IMG_7265.jpg]
[attachment=91852:IMG_7271.jpg]

a few years ago the band I was in scored a couple of festival gigs in Europe. I decided to source a bass that could do the job, was light, had a j neck, and that I wouldn't be heartbroken over should Easyjet (it wasn't quite the big time) baggage handlers be a tad overzealous.

£150.00 got me a rather nice active Bass Collection. Definately the best VFM bass I've had.

[quote name='jcprz' timestamp='1319406114' post='1413859']
I wouldn't be surprised if it was a cheap copy. It says "produced by SGC Nanyo", but also says "made in Korea". Do the copies seem to claim to be made by SGC Nanyo, or just to be Bass Collection? I just dug it up the other day, and I don't have strings or an amp at the moment for testing its quality, but I'd like to know if its worth putting any effort/money into reviving the guitar. Any thoughts?

[/quote]

If I've understood the history right, then this was the "first generation" of copies, after they moved production out of Japan but before they licenced Marina to make them. As such, I would expect it to be a more-than-reasonable bass if in decent nick.

BUT it will never be worth much more than £100 and it will probably cost you the best part of that just to get it up and running properly.

If you want to keep the bass and play it, then do it up. But go into it with your eyes open ... you'll never make much out of it.

More realistically, why not keep it knocking around until you find yourself in possession of a spare set of strings and a soldering iron? Do it yourself - if you screw it up then you haven't really lost anything.

Interesting bass. I'd say the '91 serial number is right, based on the sticker in the cavity. I didn't think the move out of Japan happened until '95 so maybe it just has a later cover plate with the 'Made in Korea' sticker? Can't read the serial number on the cover plate, does it tally with the one in the cavity?

I've never seen an unlined fretless with a rosewood board before - wonder if that was an original board or fitted afterwards?

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1319548357' post='1415546']

If I've understood the history right, then this was the "first generation" of copies, after they moved production out of Japan but before they licenced Marina to make them. As such, I would expect it to be a more-than-reasonable bass if in decent nick.

BUT it will never be worth much more than £100 and it will probably cost you the best part of that just to get it up and running properly.

If you want to keep the bass and play it, then do it up. But go into it with your eyes open ... you'll never make much out of it.

More realistically, why not keep it knocking around until you find yourself in possession of a spare set of strings and a soldering iron? Do it yourself - if you screw it up then you haven't really lost anything.
[/quote]

I've got one of these, in sunburst with the original pickups and electronics. I have to say I found the whole copy thing confusing as it has everything that the Japanese ones have, bar the SGC on the pickups and that it says Made in Korea, where the real ones have Made in Japan. The serial is also a 91xxxx number and I bought it in 1993. So seems strange they were already making copies back then.

Either way, it is still a great bass (first one I ever owned) and since being de-fretted some years back, gets regular usage.

Just out of interest, how does your BC compare to your Warwick Streamer LX4? I've always fancied one but have never had a chance to play one. I did play a rockbass a few weeks ago but my Overwater/Tanglewood totally blows it away for playability, as do my Bass Collections.

They're two very different beasts. The BC is light, slick and very easy to play, with a decent range of tones, considering the limitations of the passive electronics.

The Warwick is from 1997 (before the quality of Warwicks seemed to 'change', many feel for the worse) and is heavier, less streamlined, but still very playable. It's different, but definitely feels like a better-made instrument. As nice as the BC is, the Warwick demonstrates a subtle but significant level of superior workmanship throughout. Sound-wise, it delivers a certain growl and punch that I've only heard from a Warwick. Interestingly, it was only the second instrument I owned, so my only real point of reference for comparison was my BC and the Warwick didn't take much getting used to.

I have tried a Rockbass Streamer and there was just no comparison with the LX - the latter is in a totally different league. There were similarities, but they are vastly different ranges. Not quite up to the top-end through-necks, but I actually prefer the bolt-on sound, so for me, this is as good a Warwick as I've tried. Admittedly I haven't tried a proper Stage II, but I honestly thought this knocked the socks off a more recent Stage I that I tried at the Bass Cellar a few years back.

A lot of people don't get on with Warwicks, but then again just as many do. I've found the Streamers to be as playable as anything out there, though others would probably disagree.

Edited by geilerbass

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys
does anyone know the spec of the different pick ups on the SGC Nanyos? I'm interested particularly in the difference between the SOAPBAR type (e.g. on the SB330), and the P/J types (on the eg SB320). Are the former humbuckers and the latter single coil?
cheers
my SB320...

My 5 string has two J pickups on and I'm pretty sure they're single coil as they pick up some noise (especially when facing my PC but oddly not when I swing it around 90 degrees). My fretless 320 has had its pickups replaced before I bought it and I've no idea what they are.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if anyone else say this on evilbay recently, but the s/n looks like a 1999 MIJ bass which doesn't chime well with the ear posts. Here's some pics from the ebay listing.

Is this the real thing as it looks like it's in beautiful condition.

[attachment=114834:Bass Collection SB310 01.jpg] [attachment=114835:Bass Collection SB310 02.jpg]

1999 was after SGC Nanyo went bust so it's likely to be one of the ones that was picked up and made by someone else just after. I've been stalking that one but mainly because I'm going to put my 1991 SB315 up for sale soon and I want to see what they go for. The price of that one was way over the odds as I only paid £165 for mine a year ago second hand. The BCs that do sell on Ebay tend to go for £130 - £170 for a 300/310/320 series. Maybe a little more for 320s actually.

Hmm, that serial number starts with 98 but I think SGC Nanyo went bust in 1996.

I've noticed asking prices for these basses pushing up quite smartly in recent months. Don't know whether or not they're actually [i][b]selling [/b][/i]at those prices (I don't follow the subject that closely) but it's interesting to see people looking for £300 and more when a few years ago you could barely give them away.

I suspect that, for a 320 or 325 or similar, any price below £200 has to be a bit of a bargain these days.

Is it really FIVE YEARS since I started this thread? :blink:

I can't help feeling that £425 for the 320 is optimistic in the extreme and the 310 was going for £350 which also seemed a little over the top. Not that I particularly interested in buying them, I was just curious about the subject and sort of stumbled across your post Happy Jack.

• 3 months later...

what a great thread , I've just bought a Californian plus ... [url="https://www.soundsplus.co.uk/bongo.pl/shop.item/bass.collection.californian.plus.black..449..sale.save.200/?item=2206"]https://www.soundsplus.co.uk/bongo.pl/shop.item/bass.collection.californian.plus.black..449..sale.save.200/?item=2206[/url] who's making these now and where can I have a look at the spec ? I bought it because it felt soooo good , was a bit worried about th £650 price tag then found the sounds plus guys with £200 quid off :wub: it should be with me today or tomorrow and would love to find out some background on the company that is now making these lovely basses , cheers G :i-m_so_happy:

The name Bass Collection is still owned by The Bass Centre, now reduced to a mail-order and on-line only trading outlet. The last Speakeasy I looked at was made in China, so there's not much in common between the original Japanese SGC Nanyo instruments and the current offering.

Bass Centre site isn't very forthcoming on specifications, unfortunately.