Why become a member? ×

Dark/Rock sounding basses

bassjamm

[quote name='bassjamm' post='675343' date='Dec 6 2009, 12:01 AM']By the way...does anyone have any, or know anywhere to get some sound clips of any of the Gibson/Epiphone basses?[/quote]

Try here. [url="http://www.epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=500"]http://www.epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=500[/url]

I couldn't get the EB-0 clip to work, but all the others did.

Balcro.

[quote name='Tait' post='675034' date='Dec 5 2009, 04:00 PM']i had an epiphone thunderbird, but i sold it because it really wasn't the sound i was looking for. however, it sounds like it could be perfect for you, very low and bassy, with a lot of presence. i guess you could say it was quite agressive sounding. my problem with it was it didn't sound "crisp" enough for me, i like a bright sound, personally.[/quote]

totally what he said ...

Edited by gafbass02

I was thinking on the lines of a Precision with a rosewood board and a Wizard Thumper on board. Can't think of anything darker and boomier... Except...I had a Yamaha BB714BS for a short while. That was the deepest & darkest sounding bass I've ever heard! That mudbucker at the neck makes for an earth shattering bass frequency.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='675912' date='Dec 6 2009, 05:33 PM']Non more dark than...

The Warwick 'Darklord'! :) :lol:

[url="http://www.warwickbass.com/modules/produkte/produkt.php?katID=14460&cl=EN"]http://www.warwickbass.com/modules/produkt...14460&cl=EN[/url][/quote]

Ha...yeah, maybe...but it's a bit too down the gothic route for me :rolleyes: next thing you know, we'll be looking at B C Rich basses :lol:

[quote name='bassjamm' post='675349' date='Dec 6 2009, 12:16 AM']By the way...Is the Telecaster bass the same as the 51 re-issue Precision?[/quote]

There are two versions of the Telecaster . One version ,is the one you've mentioned here.
The pickup , is a single coil located in the centre . (sting etc.)
The other version 1972 onwards , had just one Humbucker pickup right by the neck.

Haven't tried the earlier/'51 version(supposed to sound a little like an upright thud)
The other one, is the thuddy type ,with absolutely no treble.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='676019' date='Dec 6 2009, 07:28 PM']There are two versions of the Telecaster . One version ,is the one you've mentioned here.
The pickup , is a single coil located in the centre . (sting etc.)
The other version 1972 onwards , had just one Humbucker pickup right by the neck.

Haven't tried the earlier/'51 version(supposed to sound a little like an upright thud)
The other one, is the thuddy type ,with absolutely no treble.[/quote]

Ahh...thank you very much indeed!

Sooo...which one is the one you previously mentioned in this thread then?

And do they both feel like Precisions to play then?

Edited by bassjamm

Gibson for dark. But a Tbird? Hmmm... Very much depends which version.

A long scale EB-3 lets you give some treble lift to that hot mudbucker

or an EB-1 = £3k well spent to get the Pappalardi ass-kick

Always wanted to put my spare mudbucker on a P-copy.

Why you would throw the sound away on an SVT rig, though, beats me.
8 x 10" drivers don't go 'down there'...

My old trace 12+15+18, however, is only two strong chaps and a van away from a roped off demolition zone powerhouse tonality with most any input.... Cheap, too, 'cos it needs two strong chaps and a van....

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='675346' date='Dec 6 2009, 12:10 AM']The fattest bass I've ever heard is my Peavey T-40![/quote]

At the risk of being laughed at, I declare that my Westone Thunder 1A can be dialled to be one of the darkest and powerful sounding bass I have ever heard.
The T-40 wins in many other fields, but if you roll the active knob all the way to "bass", you will know why they called it thunder.
*Gets ready to dodge tomatoes*

[quote name='Thornybank' post='676875' date='Dec 7 2009, 05:08 PM']Gibson for dark. But a Tbird? Hmmm... Very much depends which version.

My old trace 12+15+18, however, is only two strong chaps and a van away from a roped off demolition zone powerhouse tonality with most any input.... Cheap, too, 'cos it needs two strong chaps and a van....[/quote]

That last bit cracked me up :) I have the van bit, and well, i'm not a weakling, so nearly there :rolleyes:

As for your first comment on the T-bird...which versions would you say fit into this category?

Everyone else...

Thanks for very for your input...and Razze06 - you can run but you can't hide, ha!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='675709' date='Dec 6 2009, 02:18 PM']I was thinking on the lines of a Precision with a rosewood board and a Wizard Thumper on board. Can't think of anything darker and boomier... Except...I had a Yamaha BB714BS for a short while. That was the deepest & darkest sounding bass I've ever heard! That mudbucker at the neck makes for an earth shattering bass frequency.

[/quote]

When I saw the Yamaha stand at Bassday I was really hoping to try one of these, but they didn't appear to have a single one.

The spec looks amazing - anyone got one here?

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='675912' date='Dec 6 2009, 05:33 PM']Non more dark than...

The Warwick 'Darklord'! :) :rolleyes:

[url="http://www.warwickbass.com/modules/produkte/produkt.php?katID=14460&cl=EN"]http://www.warwickbass.com/modules/produkt...14460&cl=EN[/url][/quote]