Why become a member? ×

Stingray G string doesn't quite ring..?

Jigster

This was a thread on the EB Forum but can't find it again now - but I was browsing some time ago and read how some players were saying the G on their Ray's didn't seem to 'ring', there was talk of pick up height at the G, string tensions, string choice, set ups, etc..But I wanted to raise this here, as I'm feeling the same way, the G just doesn't resonate in the same way as the others strings - even acoustically (I think) has anyone had similar issues..? Mine's a 2008 single pick up 4 string - excellent cond so shouldn't be any playing issues as such..

Ta

guys this is deprressing! Love my Ray but not sure it's the answer to my dweams or that I can accept that there is this G fault I have to live with!

- the sweet trebs are what I love most about bass playing!! Gonna take off the Labellas currently on there later tonight and put some EB's on and see what that does

[quote name='Jigster' post='671318' date='Dec 1 2009, 05:20 PM']guys this is deprressing! Love my Ray but not sure it's the answer to my dweams or that I can accept that there is this G fault I have to live with!

- the sweet trebs are what I love most about bass playing!! Gonna take off the Labellas currently on there later tonight and put some EB's on and see what that does[/quote]

It is a problem on Stingrays. I've found that a decent compressor and my EBS microbass evens things out - but you really shouldn't have the problem in the first place!

I used a '89 'ray to record two weeks ago and, although it didn't sound too bad at the time, on the track the notes on the G literally disappear. I'd noticed it to an extent during my Stingray phase but never realised just how pronounced it can be. I guess it varies from instrument to instrument but it is a recognised issue with 'rays

C

[quote name='Jigster' post='671318' date='Dec 1 2009, 05:20 PM']guys this is deprressing! Love my Ray but not sure it's the answer to my dweams or that I can accept that there is this G fault I have to live with!

- the sweet trebs are what I love most about bass playing!! Gonna take off the Labellas currently on there later tonight and put some EB's on and see what that does[/quote]
Try a G&L. It's the one he designed [i]after[/i] the Ray. :)

This might be a long shot but.....

I had a set of Labella flats where the low B just wouldn't ring, and almost sounded muted when played, although it felt ok when plucking. I was convinced the new bass/pickups I had just bought and put them on was cr*p, until about 2 weeks later when the string core snapped. The string itself still looked intact! I got another string, and it was perfect!

From what I hear on here, you are quite likely to get the odd dodgy flatwound in every few packs from Labella. That's the only one I've had and it hasn't put me off them.

I'm sure you're about to tell me you've already replaced it several times, but I thought it worth a mention as another possibilty....

[quote name='MB1' post='671342' date='Dec 1 2009, 05:38 PM']MB1. :)
...Could be worse!...could be sat under some Train spotters bed not being used at all! :rolleyes:[/quote]
Tut Tut... I'm just "resting", and prehaps in another 12 months I wont fell tired any more!!!
any way? whos the "train spotter"?oh you mean...
just.. because.... I appreiciate things doesnt... mean...I..crying?....whatdo you mean? Ive got something in my eye....................Im going to TELL!!

There's heaps of discussion about this phenomenon and possible ways to cure it on Talkbass, like here for starters

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180527&highlight=weak+string+stingray"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.p...string+stingray[/url]

The upshot is that it is part of the way the bass is constructed, it seems...

[quote name='witterth' post='671352' date='Dec 1 2009, 05:49 PM']Tut Tut... I'm just "resting", and prehaps in another 12 months I wont fell tired any more!!!
any way? whos the "train spotter"?oh you mean...
just.. because.... I appreiciate things doesnt... mean...I..crying?....whatdo you mean? Ive got something in my eye....................Im going to TELL!![/quote]

MB1. :rolleyes:
...Was refering to the train spotter that bought your old Stingray (which still probably resides under his bed! ) that he doesnt play.... and wont sell you back!.... :)

The EB 'rays I've had all had the same problem. I did have a clone with a body made by Howard "the Bass Doc" which had a perfectly good G string so it must be something inherent in the way EB make 'em. I just moved the pickup closer to the G on the problem ones.
Strangely enough, the modelled Stingray on a Roland VBass also exhibits the same problem.

I have owned two 5 string Stingrays,and the only thing i found on one was the G string to being set very close to the edge of the neck,and if not careful my finger would slide the string of the edge of the fret..to me thats bad design/ quality control..i did buy it without trying,so now i would always try one first.

I did not notice the G string being weaker,but then i did not keep it for long!

[quote name='MB1' post='671358' date='Dec 1 2009, 05:56 PM']MB1. :lol:
...Was refering to the train spotter that bought your old Stingray (which still probably resides under his bed! ) that he doesnt play.... and wont sell you back!.... :)[/quote]
Oh yeah! ...well.... I was only joking anyway!!!
.....god hes a bast@rd insnt he?.....
Hes still got the aptly named "thieves bass" YKWIM? pre EB one as well, as well :rolleyes:
thats the one I was talking about earlier btw

Edited by witterth

I've had the same problem with both the rays I've had. It drove me mad when playing a couple of songs with the band where I used the G string a lot, it'd just disappear in the mix.

Angling the pickup up to the G string a little helped me, but never really solved the problem.

Here I am wanting another one.... :)