Why become a member? ×

Ashdown 2010 Valve Amp's

phatbass787

The little bastard has probably been made as a compliment to the Hayden line (Ashdowns sister company for guitarists) 30 watt all valve head which is called the Mofo! So you can have a motherf****r or a bastard. Excellant!!!! The mofo is a really cool, fun well made head so good things to be expected from this. Its not going to be as loud as an ABM but it should be wicked in the studio or for tiddilly gigs/practices. Cool!

[quote name='eude' post='679230' date='Dec 9 2009, 04:32 PM']WTF!!!!
I heard it'll be under 40lbs too!

I think I NEED one of these, assuming they're any good of course.

Any ideas on when they'll be available?...

Eude[/quote]
it weighs 14kg,should be available feb 2010.They assure me that the LB30 will be loud enough for gigging.i will be trying one asap.

Edited by bassmansky

[quote name='guybrush threepwood' post='680227' date='Dec 10 2009, 01:30 PM']Ah right, is that just heads then? I thought there were quite a few class A 30 watt guitar combos...[/quote]
ac30s aren't class A it's just marketing hype, anything with more than one output bottle is generally gonna be ab1.

[quote name='umph' post='680898' date='Dec 11 2009, 01:31 AM']ac30s aren't class A it's just marketing hype, anything with more than one output bottle is generally gonna be ab1.[/quote]

Ah right, so is that the difference between 'Class A' and 'Pure Class A'? A mate of mine has a Laney LC30, and that's advertised as 'Pure Class A'.

I remember him saying a few years back about a builder called Andrew Guyton; made him an incredible guitar, and was in the process of trying to build a Class A 45 watt amp. Don't know how that turned out though - his website hasn't been updated since 2004... www.guytonguitars.com

[quote name='bassmansky' post='680422' date='Dec 10 2009, 05:12 PM']it weighs 14kg,should be available feb 2010.They assure me that the LB30 will be loud enough for gigging.i will be trying one asap.[/quote]
Me too. Need to find £399 tho as I fear I may have to purchase one...

[quote name='uzzell' post='681494' date='Dec 11 2009, 04:27 PM']Does anyone know where they might end up being stocked from February then?[/quote]
hopefully most ashdown dealers will have a demo one to try.apart from my local store :) dont count on it being febuary though,we know how new models get delayed!

[quote name='Marky L' post='682799' date='Dec 13 2009, 09:15 AM']I just can't get my head around this valve volume/output thing. My small brain does not calculate 30W of valve being the same as 500W of SS. OK I get how if you drive tubes hard then you get crunch.. but how does 30=500?
Help![/quote]

Doesn't basically.

30w valve run clean is same as 30w SS run clean. However you might squeeze bit more than 30w from the valve stuff but it will result in a lot of (awesome) distortion and compression, whereas if you do it with SS, you get a lot of horrible distortion. Compression and distortion do act to make things seem louder (see Metallica record controversy).

[quote name='eude' post='686438' date='Dec 16 2009, 03:54 PM']I emailed Ashdown with a few questions about the LB, but nothing back yet :)
When I do hear back though, I'll post the info :rolleyes:

I'm surprised they don't put a valve front end with a Little Giant power section...

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]
unusual them not getting back,depends if chris bates the head of sales is about i think.

[quote name='bassmansky' post='686489' date='Dec 16 2009, 04:34 PM']unusual them not getting back,depends if chris bates the head of sales is about i think.[/quote]

Been about 4 days now, I guess they're probably inundated with questions about the new range from around the world.
I don't mind waiting, however the longer I wait the more they're pushing me into the arms of a lovely new Orange Terror Bass :)

Eude

[quote name='eude' post='686493' date='Dec 16 2009, 04:37 PM']Been about 4 days now, I guess they're probably inundated with questions about the new range from around the world.
I don't mind waiting, however the longer I wait the more they're pushing me into the arms of a lovely new Orange Terror Bass :)

Eude[/quote]guess theres not enough information on their website?

[quote name='bassmansky' post='686515' date='Dec 16 2009, 04:54 PM']guess theres not enough information on their website?[/quote]

Gave the website a good read, but there's always holes in that kind of info.

I was actually asking them about how usable they think it will be compared to a small class D amp that is louder on paper.
As you'll see already from the thread, some folks say it will be a lot louder than your average 30W, some folks say that's nonsense, I'm not sure what to believe so I just thought I'd ask for Ashdown's opinion is all.
I also was wondering if they have a definite date for release and details of UK availability.

Eude

[quote name='eude' post='686547' date='Dec 16 2009, 05:15 PM']Gave the website a good read, but there's always holes in that kind of info.

I was actually asking them about how usable they think it will be compared to a small class D amp that is louder on paper.
As you'll see already from the thread, some folks say it will be a lot louder than your average 30W, some folks say that's nonsense, I'm not sure what to believe so I just thought I'd ask for Ashdown's opinion is all.
I also was wondering if they have a definite date for release and details of UK availability.

Eude[/quote]
they will probably tell you what they told me that its due instore feb 2010 and its usable for small gigs!

[quote name='eude' post='686547' date='Dec 16 2009, 05:15 PM']Gave the website a good read, but there's always holes in that kind of info.

Eude[/quote]
4 el84s are pretty loud for guitar but not so great for bass

[quote name='umph' post='686932' date='Dec 17 2009, 12:46 AM']4 el84s are pretty loud for guitar but not so great for bass[/quote]

That's my concern :)
I am getting away with about 150W of class D at the moment though, so maybe, at a push...

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='phatbass787' post='687021' date='Dec 17 2009, 09:06 AM']I dont think thats too bad actually for what it is especially when you compare to vietnamise/chinese Ampegs and the likes...[/quote]

Expensive when compared to Orange and Matamp though, about the same as the "RRP" on the 400+ though you know when you could still buy them.

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='687041' date='Dec 17 2009, 09:27 AM']Expensive when compared to Orange and Matamp though, about the same as the "RRP" on the 400+ though you know when you could still buy them.[/quote]

Which Orange are you comparing against? The AD200 is less than half the power and best price I could see online was £1300...