Why become a member? ×

I've never played...

Low End Bee

[b]A Rickenbacker 4001/3[/b]

I'm in the 'they look cool' camp. Some of my favourite players have used one. They seem to be ridiculously expenxsive at the moment though.

[b]A 5 or more string[/b]

Even though the last three bands I've seen where the bassist has had one they've never touched the B string.
Still I'd like to re enforce or overcome my prejudice.

[b]A Hofner[/b]

To see if it really is more than a shoe box with elastic bands.

[b]An active[/b]

Yep. I really haven't. Maybe a Stingray is up my street?

[b]An Upright[/b]

Looks like fun.

I've tried most of the other stuff I wanted to.

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='666154' date='Nov 26 2009, 12:38 PM'][b]A Rickenbacker 4001/3[/b]

I'm in the 'they look cool' camp. Some of my favourite players have used one. They seem to be ridiculously expenxsive at the moment though.

Even though the last three bands I've seen where the bassist has had one they've never touched the B string.

[b]A Hofner[/b]

[b]An active[/b]

[b]An Upright[/b]

Looks like fun.

I've tried most of the other stuff I wanted to.[/quote]

Can't for the life of me see the appeal of a Hofner and Rickenbacker...
I used to think the latter looked cool but soon got over that when I tried to play one
and the former was the worst piece of wood I have ever come across.
So even if they have cleaned up their acts and play and sound good these days, I still wouldn't touch them.
No where near my idea of a bass these days :) :rolleyes:

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='666154' date='Nov 26 2009, 12:38 PM'][b]A Rickenbacker 4001/3[/b]

[b]A Hofner[/b]

[b]An active[/b]

[b]An Upright[/b]

Looks like fun.

Get yerself westwards and you can have a go on 3 of the 5

[b]A Hofner[/b]

[b]An active[/b]

[b]An Upright[/b]

Looks like fun.

The first bass I ever played was one of the Hofner cricket bat basses. Was ok to play considering I had no idea how to play bass, looked terrible though.
I played my first Rick last week, was unplugged but enjoyed it. Seemed nice and solid, kept catching my finger on the sharp pickup though.

I had my first go of an upright a week or so back too, was great fun but hard!! I want to keep trying that though.

I play a 5 string bass, but in the two bands I primarily play in the B hardly gets a look in. I do use it for stuff I mess around with myself, and it's there if I need it.

I think I've played most things now - upright & Fender Precisions seem to be favourite with me & what I always come back to. I've tried Les Paul basses, Flying V basses, Rickenbacker basses, Danelectro, headless, Hofner, acoustic, active, twin neck, budget, custom shop, warwick, dobro bass, 5 string, 6 string etc etc.... actually I have never played an 8 string and that's one I'd love to try

Hmmm...

Rickenbackers are okay. Lovely to look at but the sound is pretty generic and they're merely okay to play. Some weigh more than the Queen Mary, too!

Hofners are great little basses. Strung with a nice set of flats, they make an excellent instrument for 60's acts or even jazz bands. Seriously smooth sound, although I ended up selling mine due to lack of use.

5+ stringers are excellent. There are so many occasions where the lower range comes in handy and the extra top string on a six makes for easy access to higher notes. Wonderful things!

Active basses are great. I've even got an outboard preamp for my passive basses! The added power and evenness of delivery makes for something indispensable in my view.

Yes, every electric bass player should learn to play upright. After all, the double bass is the electric bass' direct ancestor. They go together like bread and butter!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='666379' date='Nov 26 2009, 03:57 PM']Yes, every electric bass player should learn to play upright. After all, the double bass is the electric bass' direct ancestor. They go together like bread and butter![/quote]
That's a bit like saying we should all shag a chimp isn't it?

[quote name='henry norton' post='670346' date='Nov 30 2009, 07:56 PM']Ahem.... Back on topic, every bass player should own a MusicMan at some point during their lives - preferably a Stingray. It's a right of passage for us all.[/quote]

Funnily enough, I owned a Bongo but have never played a stingray! :)

[quote name='silddx' post='669930' date='Nov 30 2009, 12:47 PM']That's a bit like saying we should all shag a chimp isn't it?[/quote]

Absolutely :rolleyes: Oh hang on, are you saying that you don't think that's the right thing to do? Uh right....yeah....me neither.... :)

8 string basses are fun and 12vers are just mental. I played entire rock sets with a 12 string bass using my fingers as opposed to a pick and I was knackered by the end of it.

I've yet to try a Warwick Streamer and I've always wanted to play an early 50s Fender bass just to see what its like

I also want to try a Gibson EB-1 as well and a £5000 coffee table bass just for the hell of it.