Why become a member? ×

Distortion?

noirpunk

Hi all,

I'm looking to add some nice growly distortion to my sound for my new project. I've got a lovely Randall Bi-Amp which I got from Oldgit a few months back, I'm looking to put a distortion through the effects loop on the low end of the amp and keep the high end clean for clarity.
I'm looking for a nice grungey tone, Lemmyish perhaps. Can anyone suggest a nice reliable pedal that's relatively cheap?
Cheers

You could buy the Blackstar HT Dual I picked up at the weekend, but am not so sure about now. Damn retail therapy buying!! Probably needs more fiddling with, but I'm just not sure.

That said I managed a reasonable light grit tone near what I am looking for with a filthy boost on the second channel, so we shall see after the gig Friday

I'd go for the Bad Monkey just because they can be had for twenty quid and they're really good.

If that doesn't work out you've lost a fiver plus shipping when you sell it on.

The MXR Bass Blowtorch is worth a look too if you're fussy about tone and/or you want more gain. I found mine a bit uninspiring because I like tonnes of fuzz and I didn't really have a use for it (given that the bass was the loudest instrument in my band at the time anyway) but in terms of practical cutting-through-the-mix distortion it's still the smartest pedal on the market.

Edited by thisnameistaken

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Protium' post='650148' date='Nov 9 2009, 09:43 PM']ODB-3 with some tweaking on the settings[/quote]

Totaly agree, there reasonably cheep to pic up , bomb proof construction, an can use it as a booster al the way through the spectrum to heavy gain.
recomend

[quote name='noirpunk' post='649848' date='Nov 9 2009, 06:16 PM']I'm looking for a nice [b]grungey[/b] tone, [b]Lemmyish[/b] perhaps. Can anyone suggest a nice [b]reliable[/b] pedal that's relatively [b]cheap[/b]?[/quote]

I would also have to say Bad Monkey based on those 4 criteria. (Although Lemmy doesn't fit that good.)

When I think Lemmyish... I'd rather think in the direction of a gated fuzz with mild gain maybe. Not that versatile.
Oh, and lots of mids also.

(Or get a guitar head, but who would dare to suggest that. I wouldn't. I wouldn't even come up with such an idea.)

[quote name='danny-79' post='669505' date='Nov 29 2009, 09:23 PM']Totaly agree, there reasonably cheep to pic up , bomb proof construction, an can use it as a booster al the way through the spectrum to heavy gain.
recomend[/quote]

I would not use an ODB3 for high gain settings, it gets very "fizzy".

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='650877' date='Nov 10 2009, 05:47 PM']Hmm, I would do the opposite and distort the mids/highs instead, keeping my lows nice and punchy. Nobody's mentioned it yet so I'll suggest a Sansamp BDDI / VT Bass or even a Behringer BDI21 (which is actually a pretty decent clone of the BDDI).[/quote]

Agree with this, better idea to distort mids/high frequency and keep low clean. Try it both ways anyway after you decide on which pedal to get and let us know how you got on...