Why become a member? ×

Mexican P Bass Special

Tinman

Did a search about these on here and couldn't find much.

So, I'm Gassing for a P Bass Special and the Mex ones look reasonably priced. My question is: Tonally and buildwise, are they of a decent standard or would I be wasting my money? I've read here that the Mex built instruments have improved greatly but I would like to hear from anyone who has one/has played one.

The main reason for asking is that I'm off to the States again in a couple of weeks and some of you know what happened last time. :)

Any info would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by Tinman

The recent active MIM one i played was noisy but sounded good. Had to be careful with the treble as it sounded brittle but the bass had tons of thud and was a slap beast. In fact it was one of the best slap sounds i've heard recently!

Might benefit from some shielding too as it had a very prominent hum

Seemed well built and played great though

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='645511' date='Nov 4 2009, 05:41 PM']Are you looking at the current model?[/quote]
Are you saying the current model is different from those advertised on the various websites? :) Sometimes I hate the web. In general all the sites say is that they were introduced in 05. There seems to be nothing about the date of the ones that are advertised (not even on the Fender Mex site even)

[quote name='Tinman' post='645533' date='Nov 4 2009, 06:03 PM']Are you saying the current model is different from those advertised on the various websites? :) Sometimes I hate the web. In general all the sites say is that they were introduced in 05. There seems to be nothing about the date of the ones that are advertised (not even on the Fender Mex site even)[/quote]
Ah - I just wasn;t sure if you were looking at new or used. There's been a few variations of the MIM P Special...

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='645534' date='Nov 4 2009, 06:05 PM']Ah - I just wasn;t sure if you were looking at new or used. There's been a few variations of the MIM P Special...[/quote]
At the moment I'm looking at a new one. :) It comes as no surprise that there have been variations - it's hard to keep up sometimes.

It depends- try as many as poss. I recently SOLD My MIA jazz, as it wasn't near as good (to ME)as my MIM Reggie Hamilton Sig. Jazz. Sure the build quality & look of the MIA is SUPERB & the S1 switching in it gave it a great P style sound, but-maybe it was just ME & my taste, but it just didn't excite me like the RH Sig does. P'raps I just dig the P pup(the RH sig jazz has P/J pups) - but I DO dial out the P pup & just use the bridge jazz pup at times... Dunno- the MIA Amercian Series Jazz IS a lovely bass & it does everytghing it's s'posed to do well, but... left me wanting.
So I've bought a 50's RI precision- a MIM model too, but it FEELS lovely & I LOVE the simplicity of the P's.
IMO the MIM active P's are darn good too, seem to be on the whole, a lot better consistantly, than the Standard MIM P's. I was tossing up between a MIM P Special(active) or the 50's RI. In the end AS I have active ones already I went w/ the Passive P.

[quote name='MythSte' post='645518' date='Nov 4 2009, 05:46 PM']Are the new specials active? If you can find a passive one that plays nicely then I think you'll be onto a winner. Otherwise most all Fender mex actives ive played have been hella noisy.

Enjoy yourself in the States![/quote]

Aye, the passive MIM specials are where it's at. MMmmellow. The active ones are HOT and not really in a good way.

I bought my MIM (passive) P bass new in 1998. Recently put D'Addario EPS190 Custom Light Gauge XL Pro Steel strings on it. I now have a massive variation in tone available. From harsh (full treble, played close to the bridge.) to very warm, almost double bass warm (treble backed right off, played around the 10th - 12th fret.) and anything in between.
Feels good, plays very well, sounds great. Others who've played it have been complimentary. Guess I was fortunate to get a good one.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='645940' date='Nov 5 2009, 08:31 AM']Just get one that's made of decent bits and put together well, and we'll sort the sound out when you get back...... :rolleyes:

They are eminently pimpable..... :)

(I'll get mi soldering iron warmed up!)[/quote]
Agreed. I tried a MIM P a week or so ago and it was put together really nicely. The pickup wasn't too bad either but it was the standard model, not the special.

Looks like a really nice combination - P body, jazz neck, 3-band eq. All the goodies and none of the hardships. Apart from the bent-tin bridge, but that's easily remedied. Nice bass. I have to admit to quite liking the simpler 50's P in black/gold/maple. I'd have to spend a fortune kitting it out with a serious pickup and bridge etc, though...

Is it the Deluxe Active P? My Deluxe Active Jazz is really well made, no noise (that'll be the noiseless pickups then). It's only downsides were the bent tin bridge (now replaced) and the back pickup is really weak sounding, not sure whether it's the pickup or the pre but I've never bothered sorting it because I'm happy with the tone I get off the neck p-up.

I bought a MIM Jazz in the early 90s which had different string volumes. I even had a letter published in a guitar mag. It put me off Mexican Fenders for the best part of 15yrs. I always favoured the MIJ stuff. However around 2004/5 I discovered the posher MIMs like the Classic Series and have done a complete U turn. These are seriously wonderful basses. In fact I've since played MIM standards and a well set up good one is a great bass. I think the snobbery of old is long gone. I was just unlucky first time around. The P Bass Special isn't something I have personal experience with but I do know that it is in the same league as the Classic series so I'd wager you'd be getting a quality instrument for your cash. The MIM Deluxe stuff I have tried has been bang on the money

[quote name='Tinman' post='645503' date='Nov 4 2009, 05:34 PM']The main reason for asking is that I'm off to the States again in a couple of weeks and some of you know what happened last time. :rolleyes:[/quote]

You're in the sh!t now you sneaky sod! :)

Thank heavens for BC'ers who innocently grass you up! :lol:

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='646156' date='Nov 5 2009, 12:19 PM']Tinman - Just so as we are clear, I was the Huggy Bear character who (accidentally) gave Mrs. Tinman the word on the street re this thread. :blush:[/quote]

You 've just ruined my future plans for using you as a spy! :) Why'd'ya go and 'fess up for! :rolleyes: :lol:

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='646156' date='Nov 5 2009, 12:19 PM']Tinman - Just so as we are clear, I was the Huggy Bear character who (accidentally) gave Mrs. Tinman the word on the street re this thread. :blush:

Like I can talk with my mass of kit! Sorry[/quote]
:) :rolleyes: No worries there fella, I was going to talk to her about anyway (at some point) :lol:

[quote name='Tinman' post='646162' date='Nov 5 2009, 12:23 PM']:) :rolleyes: No worries there fella, I was going to talk to her about anyway (at some point) :lol:[/quote]

Would it have gone along the lines of, "I've bought this bass........"

Try the Squier versions I had one for ages it was amazing would still be my gigging bass if some c*** hadn't nicked it.