Why become a member? ×

A Great day in Moffat

haimesy

[quote name='eude' post='645961' date='Nov 5 2009, 08:21 AM']Top post Rich, wasn't aware you where filming on the day!
You can't have been that hungover either as there's no "shakey cam" effect going on.
Was that done on your iPhone?...

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]
It was just after our trip to the aptly named "Excellent Sandwich Shop" and I was fighting the urge for an old mannie afternoon nap so the shakes had subsided somewhat. :rolleyes:

Shot on my trusty N958GB - youtube has reduced the bitrate sufficiently to emulate iphone quality. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='646116' date='Nov 5 2009, 11:33 AM']youtube has reduced the bitrate sufficiently to emulate iphone quality. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Probably for the best...... :lol:

I missed out on the barefaced comparison with you guys as I was out at lunch (I played it myself before hand against a few other cabs)

What was the general consensus ?

I know I was way less than impressed after all the hype surrounding them. And reading the thread on Finnbass I think others had the same view (Sorry Shaun-4000..... :) )

[quote name='david_l_perry' post='646194' date='Nov 5 2009, 01:10 PM']Probably for the best...... :rolleyes:

I missed out on the barefaced comparison with you guys as I was out at lunch (I played it myself before hand against a few other cabs)

What was the general consensus ?

I know I was way less than impressed after all the hype surrounding them. And reading the thread on Finnbass I think others had the same view (Sorry Shaun-4000..... :) )[/quote]

I know the hype didn't live up to expectations at Brighton bass day. The 2x15 vintage had problems keeping up with the 2x10 Neo it was put up against and the tone of both the Vintage and the Compact certainly wasn't anything to write home about. They sounded very boxy and quite weak. I didn't really dig the aesthetics either.

I wish I'd gotten to hear it with Shaun's Ashy rig because he likes his combination and I know from my own experience that Ashdown can dial in unexpected loveliness. Maybe it sounds good as an old school rig but it certainly wasn't a good match for the compact heads we had there.

It definitely has the weight issue in the bag but as I said elsewhere the sound on the day was nothing special and the finishing touches were very below par for a cab in this price range. I was given to believe that the intention was to produce a full bottom and focused top end - what I heard was pretty much the opposite.

Speaking as someone who hasn't read any of the BF hype and also for the most part doesn't understand "the numbers", I think it sounded exactly how you'd logically expect a good driver in a thin box to sound. There has to be a limit as to where a minimum amount of wood becomes acoustically unviable for a bass cab. Neck on line time (gulp) I believe this cab may have crossed the line.

A massive thanks to Shaun for taking it along and giving us some 1st hand experience.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='646287' date='Nov 5 2009, 02:57 PM']I wish I'd gotten to hear it with Shaun's Ashy rig because he likes his combination and I know from my own experience that Ashdown can dial in unexpected loveliness. Maybe it sounds good as an old school rig but it certainly wasn't a good match for the compact heads we had there.

It definitely has the weight issue in the bag but as I said elsewhere the sound on the day was nothing special and the finishing touches were very below par for a cab in this price range. I was given to believe that the intention was to produce a full bottom and focused top end - what I heard was pretty much the opposite.

Speaking as someone who hasn't read any of the BF hype and also for the most part doesn't understand "the numbers", I think it sounded exactly how you'd logically expect a good driver in a thin box to sound. There has to be a limit as to where a minimum amount of wood becomes acoustically unviable for a bass cab. Neck on line time (gulp) I believe this cab may have crossed the line.

A massive thanks to Shaun for taking it along and giving us some 1st hand experience.[/quote]

No probs Rich! Was lovely to try your gear too (that Jazz thingumyjig sounds MASSIVE!).

You're pretty much on the money with your assessment of the Barefaced/Ashdown thing. I had my head there but never got round to plugging it in, which was an oversight on my part. A couple of things; I noticed that a lot of people seemed to have their heads set fairly flat, and I personally don't think the "neutral amp flat into the Compact" thing works too well (of course YMMV).

To get something like Dave's sound through the Compact I would eq [i]very[/i] heavily. I can assure everyone that the Ricks (wish I'd taken one) through the Ashdown/Compact doesn't sound boxy at all, but I still suspect it's a sound many here might not be after, or would achieve in a very different way. It's also not hifi/pristine either though. What you can do is that Live at Leeds sound, which is more what I use it for (Stu will vouch for this). We should've stuck some of your Ps or your Ray through it Rich; it's much more a meat and potatoes cab which you can eq your way round than a "I sound like this" device. Of course every player sounds different anyway so it obviously won't suit some regardless of what you do with it, but for instance when Dave used it (I missed the main assessment) it sounded nothing like me through it, just as I sound nothing like him through his rig. It seemed that many people prefer a flat sounding head and a pre-charactered cab, which is kind of the opposite of how I usually do it.

Ironically my revelation gear wise came at the Gallery on Monday/Tuesday when i played a Markbass Jeff Berlin, which suited me down to the ground. I now want to try one next to my rig and see how it compares.

I will add that the Barefaced isn't the best cab I've come across by any means (no offence to Alex) but for the size and weight it's much more successful for my rock sound (not necessarily for my Sei stuff) than anything else I've tried and I vastly prefer it to the GS112s that I had previously. Again, YMMV.

Edited by 4000

I suppose its only fair to put the sound and tone to one side of the compact, as its very much a personal thing.

My main issue is that the external finish (on what may very well be a well built and designed cab) looked very poor, in fact it looked dreadful... :)

amongst other things, the Aldcroft/tuffcab paint finish was very badly applied with several runs, and the plastic corners are the smallest cheapest thing I had seen used.

When you are charging upwards of £400 for cab, it has to be (and quite rightly) compared to similar priced boxes. And in that respect it failed badly (and a good few others at the bash voiced the same view.... :rolleyes: ) .

I pal of mine who came up with me assumed it was a cab that Shaun had made himself, he was a little shocked to find out that it was a purchased product.

Obviously lots of people are more than happy with the cabs, I just think that Alex needs to quickly address the finish and external build side of things to keep his product in direct competition to the other cab manufacturers. People ears are very quickly seduced by the look of a cab...even more so when you have paid a lot more than the competition.

Dave

[quote name='david_l_perry' post='646730' date='Nov 5 2009, 09:42 PM']Obviously lots of people are more than happy with the cabs, I just think that Alex needs to quickly address the finish and external build side of things to keep his product in direct competition to the other cab manufacturers. People ears are very quickly seduced by the look of a cab...even more so when you have paid a lot more than the competition.

Dave[/quote]

This is exactly what I am like....seduced by looks! hahahah

Nowadays cabs look tremendous. I love looking at my Orange cabs and Aguilar cabs as they are cabs of beauty and they sound fantastic and totally different to each other.

The Berg looks incredibly well made, and the new Tecamp is just brilliant....it really makes a difference to what you perceive of a product.

Alan, I'd have been interested to hear that P through the ABM head and into the Compact.

Dave, I completely agree with the build/finish thing. The corners are a pet hate, and the finish is annoying if only because I have to put something on the cab to stop my amp slipping off. It also doesn't appear to be very hard wearing, but on the positive side the lack of weight is a godsend.

I've addressed all this stuff over on finnbass, but in summary:

1. The finish has improved on later cabs - Shaun's was a very early example. If any customers are dissatisfied with the finish then contact me directly - but that doesn't mean I'll put tolex/carpet on for you! Bear in mind that the earlier cabs were at a lower price.
2. I've just switched to metal corners - they're not easy to retrofit but it's not impossible. Contact me if you want to do this.
3. Claiming that EBS 2x10" was louder than the Barefaced Vintage is preposterous - obviously it was louder in the highs (tweeter!!!) but it was nowhere near in the lower frequencies. And there's one thing being loud at a given (low) wattage - what happens when you turn up? I have customers gigging with a single Compact in rock bands - is anyone managing to do that with a single EBS 2x10"?
4. Tone - the cabs don't add much colouration at all - it's down to you to put the right tone in. Different models have different frequency response profiles - I wouldn't try to sell the Compact to someone that wants a bright shiny slap sound, etc.
5. Performance - these cabs are made for gigging with, not for standing around in a room with a load of other bass players trying to show off the perfect tone. If you want to find out what they can do then use them on a gig.

Alex

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='647253' date='Nov 6 2009, 02:04 PM']I must say I am put off by Barefaced cabs purely because of their look, they do look very DIY in the photos, although I've not seen one in the flesh.[/quote]

I agree with this statement and it one reason why I never been interested in them...

and also, I have gigged a 2x10 in a 7 piece band with horns...
I accept that that is not the ideal but if the choice is only one cab...my 2x10 with horn or my 15 with horn then the 2x10 wins every day of the week and twice on sundays.
Both those cabs are made by the same maker, btw.
Of course.. I use both, 95% of the time.

I haven't AB'd against the cabs in question in this thread though.. but then I have no desire to do that either.

I should stay out of topics like these as I am looking for a different sound anyway, but I regsiter this comment here just to balance the view.

Many a time I see a cab recommended...and whilst I think that is generally good that someone passes on their experience, I think there is almost a zealous POV about these cabs and not much said against them.
In short, I'd have more time for all this, if there were people who posted what they didn't like.
I don't expect BF to include it on the website..of course.. but I would expect to see someone here be able to say it..

Of course, maybe they please 90% of users.. or if you read elsewhere maybe they don't.

It is like people don't like to post a negative review but this product is out there in a commercial sense and should be as fair game as anything else...IMHO.

Well I'm certainly not stopping anyone writing negative comments about my cabs, here, in my sub-forum or anywhere else. I will step in to provided a counterpoint if I believe they're being misrepresented but, as I just typed elsewhere, they're not a panacea.

Alex

P.S. A 2x10" in a 7 piece band with horns is less demanding than most rock gigs. And I was specifically asking about the EBS 2x10" as I know its speakers have much less bottom capability than a TE or Peavey 2x10".