Why become a member? ×

A Great day in Moffat

haimesy

Just like to say thanks to the organizers of the Moffat bass bash.
The best selection of basses i have ever seen in one place,and all were welcome to pick up and play,The bass fratenity is like no other i must say.
The ACG basses were stunning especially the chambered fretless OMG...............Thanks for a great day of bass...John.

I took 110 photos!

Certainly the best bass bash and the finest collection of basses I've ever witnessed.

A bunch of fine people too, excellent food and beer, all round better way to run things with the social element and overnight stay. You really get a chance to get to know people.

Awesome.

Need to sort phots but I've already seen some classics :)

[quote]oh what!!!!!!!!!!!when was this? are there anymore in scotland coming up.[/quote]

It was well advertised, shame you couldn't make it. Next time?

Just got back home to Gloucestershire. Drive took 6 hours 50 mins because of rotten weather and at least 20 sets of road works on the M6 and M5, but it was worth every minute. Met some great guys, fumbled with some great basses, ate some good food. What more could a boy want?

Cheers everyone (and Alan of course!) for making us so welcome.
Bob & Sue

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='642897' date='Nov 1 2009, 10:06 PM']I took 110 photos!

Certainly the best bass bash and the finest collection of basses I've ever witnessed.

A bunch of fine people too, excellent food and beer, all round better way to run things with the social element and overnight stay. You really get a chance to get to know people.

Awesome.

Need to sort phots but I've already seen some classics :)

It was well advertised, shame you couldn't make it. Next time?[/quote]

yeah i would love to go to this sort of thing, only prob is my son is only 3months old so doubt the wife would allow overnight stays, so driving distance is a must, anything else arranged?? whats the etiquette for these sort of doos, do you bring your own bass too just incase someone fancies a shot, do you jam with each other, is it sales or just showing off gear?

Like to say thanks to everyone for an excellent weekend I really enjoyed the whole bash. I think the numbers were spot on for the venue so I doubt I will increase them above 30 people in total.

Like to thank Dave Perry and Peter over and above for their help through out the organising of the bash made life a lot easier. Met a lot of great guys and players put names to a lot of faces finally met Joe so it was all good.

Best selection of basses I have ever seen in one place some really beauties and impossible to pick a favourite. A great array of rigs but for me Nice Guy Homer's Aguilar head was my favourite some excellent driven sounds from it.

Cheers
Alan

I'm totally knackered but I've just hosted 3 photos to give you a flavour.

Paul (Mr Thumb) the van, 10 basses, 3 cabs, 2 heads, 11 stands etc.

Dave, a star :) (although he probably won't forgive me for this photo)

Eude looking like he knows what he's doing:

Oh and there's so many beautiful basses to come :rolleyes:

Dave's too short masterclass was quite something. Oh for my video camera.

I'm still knackered but here's a couple more :)

Just about my favourite bass of the day although I can't play it. Hollow bodied Skelf with a piezo bridge.

This one's a (lucky) customer's fretless:

The Graft 5 string and the fretless again:

Alan (NiceGuyHomer) with the hollow body:

Bob Palt's Roscoe, Zon and Wilkins. Bob has a superb harem.

Dave's Masterclass.

Joe (Toasted) with Bob's Roscoe:

Russ (Rayman) noodling with Joe's Sadowsky:

Sean (4000's) stunning Sei basses:

Cameron's (Wayne58) incredible Wood and Tronics:

Many more to come.

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing

A brilliant day indeed A great gathering of great people and their basses. Had a great time talking bass with you all. :)

Really something for everybody. Loads of great basses from a wide variety of brands; Zon, Sei (included half of Jezebel!), ACG, Statuses(!), Shukers, Traben, Sadowsky, Celinder, Gibson. A cornucopia of basses!

Like others on here, I though the chambered ACG was a great bass to play. I think 5 of us would have bought it! It really was a kid-in-a-sweetshop kind of day. Homer's Wizard-equipped Shuker bass with the Aguilar rig sounded fantastic. I was surprised by the Traben bass (hadn't played one before) as well as admiring 4000's duo of Seis. The Sadowsky looked the proverbial million bucks as well. More will come to mind as my memory isn't great!!

Must mentioned that there was also a small gathering of Bass-bash WAGs as well, who supported (and tried to understand) their boys and their toys :rolleyes:

If anyone's in the Glasgow area, you're more than welcome to pop round for a cuppa :lol:

[b]Bob & Sue[/b] - Glad to hear that you arrived home safe and sound. Roads were appalling on the way back to Glasgow as well. Loads of surface water and passing artics was a case of going through a big curtain of spray. Not nice.

Edited by 7string

Looks like a fantastic day.. :rolleyes:

Some fabulous looking basses for us down here in the south to be envious of.. That Wood and Tronics 5 looks stunning...As do 4000's Seis and many others too.

Most impresive of all though was that you guys managed to have some WAGS there!! :)

How do you do that then?

Here's a few more snaps from the day:

Bob's Zon Sonus:

Matt's Traben together with about 50 basses from North of just about anywhere :) The Compact got a very thorough testing.

Paul (Sugden) learning how to play bass and needing some instruction:

Paul (Mr Thumb) playing Bob's Pedulla. This bass sounded beautifully like a bass, loads of low down balls. The bass isn't that small but Paul tends to make em look that way.

This ACG was very well received by all who played it. A firm favourite methinks and yes, it's Bob's.

Edited by GreeneKing

Paul was also bass bitch for about half an hour as we made him try out various amp/cab combos while we all sat and listened to the results. Very nice player indeed and a tough gig in front of the bass playing audience but he sailed through the audition.

A few more for posterity:

Dave P demonstrating the headless Harlot:

A personal favourite, G&L US model that I can't remember but stunning. Ebony board, birdseye in extremis:

Just some of Matt and Rich's collection from Aberdeen plus a couple of mine:

Eude with Matt's resurrected De Armond:

The neck binding detail on Sean's Sei is incredible:

Joe and my NS5. I'm biased but I think it sounded rather nice :)

Russ and Bongo time:

A few more Alan:

Matt and a rather tasty looking G&L:

Rich paying homage to another even nicer (imo) one:

Joe, Paul and Russ looking like they know what they're doing with Joe's Sadowsky:

Stuart, after giving it a very good go, handing the 9 string over to anyone brave enough to chance it:

This photo captures the flavour of the day for me. I did check my flies!

Thanks to Alan, Dave and Peter for organising a great bass fest.
We really enjoyed the whole thing, from the beer and curry, B&B and the theatre venue which was just right.
The Myrtle hollow bodied ACG fretless was superb, congratulations Alan on building that one.
Bob's Roscoe, Joe's Sadowsky and Peter's Spector were particularly impressive too.

Nice to meet a great bunch of guys as well.
Cameron

Final batch methinks:

Boys 'n' cake:

There's a P bass here somewhere, a rather nice 73 with an early body. The Sandberg is a real beauty too. Mr Thumbs gear:

Paul's ACGs hiding in a corner:

Mine, all mine:

More:

Joe's rather special Sadowsky:

I wonder what they're saying? Alan our host on the far right:

Alan (NGH's) superb gear. The rig attracted a lot of favourable comment and the Shuker too. I loved the 5P, a superb example that one Alan:

That rig in the last pic was a beauty,if I did not have the Dr Bass and the F500 I would be off buying that it was the stand out rig for me on the day.

Kev it is a secret which is only divulged when you get the special handshake. Failing that a map would work :)