Why become a member? ×

Help - I've got no rhythmn

niceguyhomer

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='69369' date='Oct 4 2007, 09:39 AM']I've discovered that I can't play my bass whilst tapping my foot to keep time - it puts me off. I have to think about tapping my foot and this causes me to lose concentration on what my fingers are doing.

Anyone else have this problem?[/quote]

If you think you've got problems, you should see me dance...Murder on the Dancefloor indeed

Hmm... if the drummer you play with can't keep time, then you won't find the groove no matter how hard you look.

"The groove" and "time" aren't exactly the same thing. Some grooves require you to play in front of or behind the beat. And if you try to play straight 4/4 over something with a swing-funk feel, you'll wonder why you're not grooving along. And if you play a straight 1 when it's a 1 with a push, you'll wonder why you keep missing the start of the note even though you're playing bang on 1.

If you just can't keep time, that's something else. Practice with a metronome - eventually you'll get there.

Tapping your foot just doesn't come into it. Drummers don't tap their feet. I've seen a fair few musicians play completely in time together but have their feet tapping hideously out of sync. It also really annoys me when I see singers tap their hand against a microphone "in time" with the beat. It looks daft - especially 'cos they're always out.

[quote name='bassbluestew' post='69375' date='Oct 4 2007, 09:58 AM']I am constantly amazed at the number of really good musicians who just can't dance or who seem to have no sense of movemment.

Me, I'm a GREAT dancer.........now what does THAT say about my playing :)

S[/quote]
And here's another catagory. Can't dance, can't move, not brilliant player but am ace at tapping my feet...... :huh:
Constantly getting whinged at by 1 of the guitarists in 1 of the bands I play in for not "moving and grooving" when we play.
Mind you when I told him he was a sh*te gutarist who always plays out of tune and far too loud, which meant I had to concentrate on my playing, he stopped having a pop at me.
The brain says I want to move, but the body won't do as it's told.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='69417' date='Oct 4 2007, 11:18 AM']I just watch the drummer's chest :)[/quote]

I was going to post a clever reply but that just floored me :huh:

It sounds like you have no trouble finding the groove when it comes to your playing - just your foot. So take the foot out of the equation and just let your fingers do their thing.

I don't tap my foot to keep time, its just something that happens if i'm in a fairly relaxed stance, which isn't usually the case with FSOF (ROCK!!), moreso with my covers band lol.

Also, i'm a fidgeter, i'm pretty much always moving and tapping my feet and stuff. Sometimes when i'm practicing, i'll be playing one thing, and my leg will be bouncing in a completly different time simply because its sub-concious so it doesn't affect my playing....weird!

Si

This is a common medical condition known as [i]dyscolexia[/i], and it is far more widespread than most people think.

Apparently up to 10% of school children are dyscolexic and in need of remedial treatment.

As a serious suggestion, try playing along to some well-chosen CDs of funky-type-thang music, preferably stuff you actually like rather than feel you 'ought to listen to'. Once you've got the groove in your fingers, relying on the recorded band to keep the beat going for you, you can then introduce your own chosen method of keeping time.

I rarely tap my foot, simply because I prefer nodding my head. It may look daft but - hey! - I can't see it, so what do I care?

:)

This thread got me wondering about the now-seemingly extict species of bassplayers that I used to see a lot in the 70s & 80s: the ones that instead of foot-tapping do a sort of chicken dance with their necks in time with the beat while standing bolt upright and otherwise motionless. I haven't seen anyone do that for ages.

edit: oops - just seen Jack's post above :)

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='69431' date='Oct 4 2007, 11:53 AM']This thread got me wondering about the now-seemingly extict species of bassplayers that I used to see a lot in the 70s & 80s: the ones that instead of foot-tapping do a sort of chicken dance with their necks in time with the beat while standing bolt upright and otherwise motionless. I haven't seen anyone do that for ages.

edit: oops - just seen Jack's post above :)[/quote]

Should I bring the chicken neck back?

have a similar problem, moving when playing can lead to all sorts of mess ups for me, but then occasionally i'll find my foot tapping along in time but once i've noticed i have to stop it or all my concentration goes to the ground floor department, that said i can't dance and my wife will regularly tell me not too if i get a bit carried away (see" drunk") but moving when playing rarely happens. good job our drummer is a bloke or i'd have no chance keeping concentration. maybe thats why you can't do the feet thing.

I omitted my mention of chicken-neck for fear of deviation. :)

I do get some odd movements going with me 'ol neck. Again mostly with my more chilled out gigs, with FSOF my neck generally just aches the morning after (EVEN MORE ROCK!!!!!!!! ) haha

Si

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='69431' date='Oct 4 2007, 11:53 AM']This thread got me wondering about the now-seemingly extict species of bassplayers that I used to see a lot in the 70s & 80s: the ones that instead of foot-tapping do a sort of chicken dance with their necks in time with the beat while standing bolt upright and otherwise motionless. I haven't seen anyone do that for ages.

edit: oops - just seen Jack's post above :huh:[/quote]

Good spot Jean-Luc ... now take a guess at how old I am!

:)