Why become a member? ×

am i in the wrong???

munkonthehill

hola there, ok folks dig this, im not sure if i should be annoyed about this or not, however i am scunnered.

About 3weeks ago i was told that my band was offered a slot at a charity doo, we would be going on first then a chap who organised the nights band would be on second. all seems well so far.

We got confirmation it was cool to use their amps and drums.

When i arrived(bass in hand) it turns out my best wee pal is the bassist in the main band, when i told him we were told we were playing he knew nothing about it!!!!!!!!!! He of course said it was cool to use his amp(I actually gave him the amp, how ironic i have to ask to use it).

we are told we can play till 9 as the main band are going on at that time. we manage about 4 songs then the singer/guitarist/w***er tells us thats time,
he then puts on an IPOD for the next 30minutes.

At the break i spoke with the other guitarist, drummer and bassist and ask if we can maybe get another shot, they all say aye no problem as they want to hear what we have to offer. The singer/guitarist/w***er says 'no mate, its our gig' awkward moment as I then called him a.....

So is it me thats out of order? I didnt want to go to the charity night but as i was getting to play i made an exception, I can understand if we blagged our way onto play but we were invited.

The night was then filled with me shouting w***er at the guy!!!!!!!!!!! not my proudest moment, however I felt it was justified

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='641990' date='Oct 31 2009, 04:44 PM']i was told that my band was offered a slot at a charity doo, we would be going on first then a chap who organised the nights band would be on second. all seems well so far.

We got confirmation it was cool to use their amps and drums.[/quote]
My first question: Who told you this and was he or she a reliable source? Because it sounds like they weren't.

[quote name='Sibob' post='642003' date='Oct 31 2009, 04:55 PM']Seems like you got offered a slot, you played the slot, then called the other bandleader names for wanting to play his slot!?

Also a PM your way

Si[/quote]

when its put to me this way i feel kinda bad, but i just feel it a waste of time bringing a bass for 4 songs, pulling us 30-40 minutes before they went on. I just felt the whole thing was a waste of time

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='642009' date='Oct 31 2009, 05:00 PM']the use of the gear info came from the singer/guitarst of the main band[/quote]
Is that the w****r?

And I don't mean to be thick, but who was booking you in the first place? Surely that person whould have been organising who goes on when.

If all the information is kosher then you're in the right to have been pxxxxd off that you only got to play a short set. My opinion is that everyone's time is valuable and you gave up a night of your time to play this gig. Given that everyone in the other band was cool with your band playing for longer except the leader, it sounds like he was having his diva moment while he could. Honestly, how sad to pull rank like that - especially on a gig where the band/music is not the main attraction and I doubt if most of the punters can even remember that there even was a band playing, let alone their name ?!!?!!?!

(rant over)

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='642012' date='Oct 31 2009, 05:03 PM']Is that the w****r?

And I don't mean to be thick, but who was booking you in the first place? Surely that person whould have been organising who goes on when.[/quote]

aye he is the w***er, him and his workmate organised he full night, it was his workmate that booked us but it was the w***er that confirmed we could play

To be honest, whoever booked the gig should have confirmed how long the set was!?

I've played hundreds of shows where the support band only gets 20-30mins, and the headline act gets an hour or whatever, it's the nature of the beast.

Sounds like it was a badly organised gig, and everyone involved was to blame for a lack of communication.

Si

yeah I know what you mean about the lack of comms, im really new to gigging and unsure about the do's and dont's

I i knew 3 out of 4 of the guys in the band through various ways and didnt realise they were all in a band together, it was only the singer i didnt know.

I have a gig on the 7th and we are the only band on thankfully.

I can honestly say I will never be a part of anything like that again. it was awkward and annoying and even though i drank enough cider to sail a ship my night was ruined

If they said play 'til 9 and it was nine when they pulled you I'm not sure you have a gripe.

On the other hand, if they pulled you early you have to face the double question - did the singer pull you 'cos he thought you were crap, or did he pull you 'cos he thought you were brilliant and would show him up?

(Dangerous territory - coat already on and running for the door...!) :)

[quote name='Apex' post='642819' date='Nov 1 2009, 08:53 PM']If they said play 'til 9 and it was nine when they pulled you I'm not sure you have a gripe.

On the other hand, if they pulled you early you have to face the double question - did the singer pull you 'cos he thought you were crap, or did he pull you 'cos he thought you were brilliant and would show him up?

(Dangerous territory - coat already on and running for the door...!) :rolleyes:[/quote]

the latter of course :)

I honestly wouldn't let this put you off similar events. This one may have been a disaster but the next one could be a total blast - you never know.

I won't agree to anything until I have all the details. You never want to turn up and not know how long your set is (as you found out the hard way) as you mention above - it may not be worth your time. What you / your band need to do is clarify all the details before agreeing to any gig. Gear, set time / length, payment, soundcheck etc. This is something you would have learned as you became more experienced at sourcing gigs anyway. Once you have this info then you'll at least you'd know whether you're right to be pissed off with gig organiser if all doesn't go according to plan.

I hope I didn't come across as patronising there. It's just what I've learned to do when I'm looking for gigs - and good luck with your future gigs :)

Its hard when they're for charity. the people who are organising generally dont have a clue.
You just turn up and play. your not getting paid so if you go with an open mind as WoT says you never get too let down.
put it this way, you played a few numbers, probably had a few pints and at least now you know the guys a d**k.
As someones already said, don't let it put you off as some of my most enjoyable gigs have been for good causes and you're raising money for something worthwhile.

[quote name='captain black' post='642909' date='Nov 1 2009, 10:20 PM']Its hard when they're for charity. the people who are organising generally dont have a clue.
You just turn up and play. your not getting paid so if you go with an open mind as WoT says you never get too let down.
put it this way, you played a few numbers, probably had a few pints and at least now you know the guys a d**k.
As someones already said, don't let it put you off as some of my most enjoyable gigs have been for good causes and you're raising money for something worthwhile.[/quote]

yeah your right mate, now that ive finally calmed down I can see that it was poorly organised with really bad comms.

it really is a lesson learned to this sort of thing, like i said before im new to gigging and im extremely eager to play at a drop of a hat.

we live and learn i guess

[quote name='Apex' post='642819' date='Nov 1 2009, 08:53 PM']If they said play 'til 9 and it was nine when they pulled you I'm not sure you have a gripe.[/quote]

+1. It's a pain playing a short set, but at least you didn't have to hump your gear in and out. Going back onstage after you'd come off would have looked a bit weird, too.

Also, third party reports of these disputes have a habit of getting round. Whether or not the guy's a w***er, shouting at him doesn't help your band's rep. However stupid the organiser, it's their house and their rules. Unless they stiff you for payment, at which point all bets are off.

Similar thing happened to a band I was in. We had a regular, well-paid annual gig at a family fun-day. When asked to finish the first set early to 'get the baton-twirlers onstage', our guitarist got stroppy with the organiser. Our second set was cancelled, we (quite rightly) didn't get paid and we never got asked back.

Enlightened self-interest. :)

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='642028' date='Oct 31 2009, 05:22 PM']I can honestly say I will never be a part of anything like that again.[/quote]

The sad thing is though dude you probably will without realising it! The ammount of times I've said that and ended up doing a similarly badly organised sham of an event after I was told it was gonna be the gig of the century! I think the lesson on this is you have to take each gig as it comes, at least thats what I try and do nowadays. Try not to have an expectation of the gig, that way if it's amazing it'll be a nice suprise and if it was crap you won't be too bothered about it. You do the crap gigs because you can't do a belter of a gig every night but on the night when you do rock the house you love it that little bit more!

Adam

I can perfectly understand why you are frustrated. Like a few comments here it seems to me that this was a badly organised gig. I have organised charity gigs where three bands played two sets each. It sounds as if the organisation for your gig wasn't up to much. Plus, was it a short night? Two bands with one only playing 4 songs doesn't sound like a very good night! I wouldn't haul my gear and my ass out for less then half an hour. I also note that you're down in Port Glasgow. If I'm organising anything in future I'll give you a shout - that is as long as you're not a Morton supporter! :)

You know, I allways belive that one should allways behave like a gentleman, and shouting "Wa@@ker" ( to use the vanacular) at the top of your voice is not gentlemanly conduct, however...
playing an ipod for half an hour when you could have been providing live music makes the guy a cu.... oopps I am not a gentleman.

Edited by witterth

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='642021' date='Oct 31 2009, 05:14 PM']These do's always end up like this.

If you expect it, you feel less let down.[/quote]

It's true. I had almost the same experience as the OP at a charity gig earlier this year. The idiot that organised it let us down badly. But being the true pro that I am (joke) I just smiled and got on with it (lie) :)

I`ve done loads of charity do`s in the past and believe me it is always best to go on first- the times I`ve been sat in the dressing room just kicking my heels for nothing are too numerous to mention so I think you did what was asked of you- other than the verbal confrontations that is. Its amazing how after a few gigs- and depending upon the money for your living you start to have a real disdain for the audience- well I did. Funny that. Now I love gigging now I dont depend upon it.

Bob