Why become a member? ×

I've got black nylons on...

Dom in Dorset

I'm trying a set of Picato Black Nylon strings on my acoustic fretless. They are a flatwound string with a black nylon coating.
The acoustic sound is very quiet, I put them on just before a rehursal last night and didn't have time to hear them through my amp before i went.
I was a bit concerned that the tone would be rather wooly. They sound and feel great!, I was also worried that visibility would be a problem ( black strings on rosewood fretless neck) -it's not.
I've always avoided flatwounds because I don't like the fel of them, these are "silky" my fingers slide effortlessly with no hint of drag.
has anyone else tried them, how do they age?

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='640762' date='Oct 30 2009, 09:20 AM']Mike Brooks still has my nylons collection...er. sorry, wrong web forum!

I've not used them for some time but used to have a Precision strung in such a fashion - a real bass sound! Herbie Flowers has had the same set on his lovely old Jazz bass for at least 20 years...![/quote]

That's a hell of a jazz that Herbie's got, apparently it was a preproduction model or some such, had some weird distortion preamp in it at some point (which Herb thankfully ripped out cos it was a pile of elephant excrement). Thers a web page about it all somewhere (try google, I cant be bothered to right now!).

[quote name='alexclaber' post='640860' date='Oct 30 2009, 10:54 AM'][url="http://www.bassplayer.tv/"]http://www.bassplayer.tv/[/url]

Artists - Bobby Vega - Introduction, 1min41 in. Pure badness.

Alex[/quote]
That was very interesting. I had never realised black nylons were being used in that way.

And Bobby Vega - great player.