Why become a member? ×

Warwicks - What are they like?

Linus27

[quote name='Linus27' post='663316' date='Nov 23 2009, 11:15 PM']Well, today I ordered my passive Warwick Corvette Standard in Ash. I went for passive as I am not a big fan of active basses and if the passive is dull, then I always could upgrade to active at a later date. I am getting it brand new from Andertons and they price matched the Bass Centre at £598 which is a bloody good price. Its going to take 2 weeks according to Warwick in Germany but Andertons said this is more like 4 weeks as they are made to order. So I guess its quite nice that some clever German chap is crafting me my own bass. I hope he picks a nice piece of wood.

Anyway, I'll keep you all updated on how it goes but I really am very excited.[/quote]

Congratulations. I think you'll love it.

Frank.

PS. I'm sending you a PM.

[quote]My next bass has to be 5, and has to be nice and light, comfy, with a fast 5 string neck.[/quote]

Light warwick? Corvette Bubinga and Thumbs are heavy despite the reduced body size, haven't tried a SS2. Swamp ash (corvette standard, $$) or maple (SS1, Streamer LX, Corvette Proline, Jazzman) are more reasonable. Dunno about the SS2, but I hear it's on the heavy side (especially 5 strings).

[quote]I'd like to know what a Warwick can offer me over, say a Lakland DJ5 or a MM Stingray5.[/quote]

Depends. They have in general a bump in the low-mids instead of full-on bass, which gives them a specific voice. They don't sound like Fenders, or Musicmans. They have models that are quite unique, like the Thumb, The Streamer Pro-M (discontinued sadly, all maple, sort of Stingray-ish), the Vampyre, the Dolphin, and their special editions (Thumb Dirty Blond, Corvette $$ 2008, ...).

In general, it's Streamer LX, Jazzman, Stage 1, Stage 2, the Thumbs (odd beasts), and Corvettes you will most likely encounter. They changed their neck profile recently to something less fat, and more conventional.

Try if you can. The Corvette $$ is a popular model, however I wasn't so keen on the 5 string model (bit muddy down low). The Thumbs are peculiar. Imo, Stage 1 and Stage 2 is where it's at.

[quote name='Linus27' post='664098' date='Nov 24 2009, 06:08 PM']Which ones do you like then?[/quote]
The expensive ones?

But seriously, my faves are;
Streamer Jazzman
Streamer $$
Corvette FNA
Infinity SN (I own one)
Fortress Masterman
Streamer Pro M
(Okay, some of these are no longer made)

I do like Thumbs, but every time I sit down, the damn things jump off me lap. Strap or no strap!

[quote name='Linus27' post='664098' date='Nov 24 2009, 06:08 PM']Which ones do you like then?[/quote]

Warwick $$ Active 5, but now I think they have 'too much' going on with two H's....

Warwick Streamer Jazzman 5...out of budget and a risk for a bass id never really researched much before....

Etc....

That bass you have on order is a bloomin bargain!

Enjoy :)
[quote name='Brave Sir Robin' post='664147' date='Nov 24 2009, 06:41 PM']Light warwick? Corvette Bubinga and Thumbs are heavy despite the reduced body size, haven't tried a SS2. Swamp ash (corvette standard, $$) or maple (SS1, Streamer LX, Corvette Proline, Jazzman) are more reasonable. Dunno about the SS2, but I hear it's on the heavy side (especially 5 strings).

Depends. They have in general a bump in the low-mids instead of full-on bass, which gives them a specific voice. They don't sound like Fenders, or Musicmans. They have models that are quite unique, like the Thumb, The Streamer Pro-M (discontinued sadly, all maple, sort of Stingray-ish), the Vampyre, the Dolphin, and their special editions (Thumb Dirty Blond, Corvette $$ 2008, ...).

In general, it's Streamer LX, Jazzman, Stage 1, Stage 2, the Thumbs (odd beasts), and Corvettes you will most likely encounter. They changed their neck profile recently to something less fat, and more conventional.

Try if you can. The Corvette $$ is a popular model, however I wasn't so keen on the 5 string model (bit muddy down low). The Thumbs are peculiar. Imo, Stage 1 and Stage 2 is where it's at.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. I think I need to play a few of them for a few months and do some research. They are completely alien to me...its very odd that I have GAS for one..but I think I should definitely try a few.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='664392' date='Nov 24 2009, 09:51 PM']Warwick $$ Active 5, but now I think they have 'too much' going on with two H's....

Warwick Streamer Jazzman 5...out of budget and a risk for a bass id never really researched much before....

Etc....

That bass you have on order is a bloomin bargain!

Enjoy :)[/quote]

I tried out a Warwick Corvette $$ and it sounded truely amazing. Totally blew me away. If I could afford one then thats what I would get.

Yeah it was a great deal my Corvette. So can't wait to get it.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='658394' date='Nov 18 2009, 06:33 PM']I'd like to know what a Warwick can offer me over, say a Lakland DJ5 or a MM Stingray5.

My next bass has to be 5, and has to be nice and light, comfy, with a fast 5 string neck.

I do like P bass necks on Precisions, but Id like a quicker neck on a 5 string.

What are my options in Warwick terms?[/quote]
I had a bubinga/wenge Corvette 4-string fretless, so I auditioned the lighter swamp-ash bodied 5-string fretless. The sound was similar, but I did not try it with a strap. I ordered one, and then found that it had neck dive - wider neck and and lighter body - should have seen that coming.

I tried to get used to it for about 8-9 months and then gave up and sold it on.

David

[quote name='Linus27' post='663316' date='Nov 23 2009, 11:15 PM']Well, today I ordered my passive Warwick Corvette Standard in Ash. I went for passive as I am not a big fan of active basses and if the passive is dull, then I always could upgrade to active at a later date. I am getting it brand new from Andertons and they price matched the Bass Centre at £598 which is a bloody good price[/quote]

That's the exact price i paid for my Corvette Standard Active in Ash back in 2002!

One sold on eBay this week for almost £400 so they hold a good chunk of their value.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='664520' date='Nov 24 2009, 11:26 PM']That's the exact price i paid for my Corvette Standard Active in Ash back in 2002!

One sold on eBay this week for almost £400 so they hold a good chunk of their value.[/quote]

Yes, I was watching that one but the sell was not giving much away regarding the minor imperfections, extra pictures etc so I gave it a miss.

• 2 months later...

Well, today, my passive Warwick Corvette Standard arrived and all I can say is WOW. First of all the quality is out of this world. I thought Lakland were good but this is on another level. Even the gigbag has a quality check sheet thats be signed off. It came with a beautiful folder with manuals, tools, wax. As for the bass, my god, what a finish :) Now for the tone. I was hoping it would be tight, snappy and punchy and boy does it live up to that. Its better than I had hoped for. The neck is also really thin and smooth. What an amazing bass. I am one very happy bunny :rolleyes:

Nice, VERY nice - love the natural look - I received a long-time GAS object
recently as well, a Corvette $$, and as you say the quality is simply amazing

happy plucking :lol:

[quote name='Linus27' post='729804' date='Jan 30 2010, 03:57 PM']Well, today, my passive Warwick Corvette Standard arrived and all I can say is WOW. First of all the quality is out of this world. I thought Lakland were good but this is on another level. Even the gigbag has a quality check sheet thats be signed off. It came with a beautiful folder with manuals, tools, wax. As for the bass, my god, what a finish :) Now for the tone. I was hoping it would be tight, snappy and punchy and boy does it live up to that. Its better than I had hoped for. The neck is also really thin and smooth. What an amazing bass. I am one very happy bunny :rolleyes:[/quote]

Edited by aonindy

[quote name='Musicman20' post='730338' date='Jan 31 2010, 10:15 AM']What is the tone like from your new bass?! I'm intrigued how it compares to the Jazz.[/quote]

The tone is stunning. My impression from a Warwick was they are tight, punchy, balanced with a little bit of growl. It certainly lives up to that and is better that I had hoped for. If I am not careful, this bass could easily become my favourite. It does not sound like my 75 Jazz. Thats has a warm smooth vintage tone. Quite retro, quite plain but reliable. A little bassy but still defined. The Warwick is just very very different. Tight, punchy, aggresive yet clean. Certainly not hi-fi. I love it.

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='Kev' post='730191' date='Jan 30 2010, 11:36 PM']im considering getting 5 string active corvette standard, but id have to get it on finance. Any recommendations?[/quote]

Just be aware that this bass is now discontinued. They now have a Corvette that is called the Pro range and it is made in Indonesia or Korea. Its not German made anymore. If you want a German made Corvette then I would suggest the Corvette $$ but it is over £1000.

[quote name='Kev' post='730191' date='Jan 30 2010, 11:36 PM']im considering getting 5 string active corvette standard, but id have to get it on finance. Any recommendations?[/quote]

Just be aware that this bass is now discontinued. They now have a Corvette that is called the Pro range and it is made in Indonesia or Korea. Its not German made anymore. If you want a German made Corvette then I would suggest the Corvette $$ but it is over £1000.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my hands on a Corvette $$ 5 string yesterday - I'd always admired Warwicks from afar but remember being put off as a novice by the size of the neck when trying one out about 15 years ago in The Bass Centre, compared to my good old Sunn Mustang P copy! I never liked the look of Streamers either but Thumbs and Vette's always drew me in for a closer look!

So, when on the lookout for something of a change bass-wise, I thought I'd satisfy the niggling doubt about them and actually buy one. A bit of a leap of faith I suppose but I did my research and knew what I wanted!

All I can say is that having had a rip through for an hour or so last night at v low volume, I am so pleased I bought her, bar none the nicest and most "like a bass" sounding bass I've ever played and I've owned/played quite a few - I honestly feel like I've found the sound that I've been hearing in my head for years, finally under my fingertips!

Can't wait to have a proper turn-up later this week at rehearsal, and move some air live later this year!

Sorry to whaffle, had to share with some like minded peeps!

Keep it rockin'