Why become a member? ×

What amplification and pickup do you use with your DB and/or EUB?

james_guitar

I'm using a Markbass LMK (two channel amp) into either one, or both, Euphonic Audio CXL112 and NL210 cabs. As I can play a combination of electric, acoustic and EUB bass at a gig this works really well; the amp can take two instruments no problem, is clear, uncoloured and loud, and the cabs give a very true response. I couldn't recommend this setup highly enough.

My DB goes through a SansAmp Bass driver DI into Acoustic Image Contra. I don't need the amping to be too loud for the DB so it's there for support more than anything and it lets me hear something from the instrument. Contra isn't so good for electrics on its own so I have a Markbass 15" cab to go with it. That gives more head room with electrics, particualrly the Statii which are powreful.

David gage Realist into a Fishman Platinum ProEQ into the FX return of a MarkBass LMII. I could (and have) go straight into the main input of the LMII without the Fishman and this sounds just as good but the feedback limiting features of the Fishman make it pretty essential.

Gut strings, Underwood stereo wired with a schaller oyster under the fingerboard into a D-tar Solstice, into Iamp800, into Aguilar Gs412, huge, woody, deep acoustic bass sound.
Underwood into the Solstice or Fishman pro plat into old SVT3pro then 2 Aguilar DB112's, got a lovely sound too.
Depends what kind of sound you're after though, and how loud you need to be on stage. I don't play through the PA much, so my loud backline suits me.

My "jazz" bass is fitted with an Underwood pickup (now nearly 30 years old and still working well) and I have 2 Gallien-Kreuger MB150 combo-amps, one for DB and the second for when I'm doubling on BG. This way i can have each amp set the way i like it for the different instruments.
The GK's are perfect for me - easy to carry around, they sound good - and on the few occasions when i need extra depth and power, i hook up a 15" speaker cab.

The Major

And to actually answer the question completely (sorry) I could live with any number of speaker/poweramp combinations, for me it is the preamps which which give me the tone I crave in the way they load the pickup. Practice would give me the technique I crave, but that would be too much like hard work.

A bit of compromise for me with amps/speakers having been from very clean EA rig (excellent for upright and a bit weak for BG) to an Ampeg rig (boomy and feedbacky upright and awesome BG).

Currently using a GK1001 head and EA speakers, but looking forward to trying barefaced stuff and a shuttle9.

Full Circle with Fishman Pro is great at any volume. B-Band statement was my best upright sound ever .... until it died!

Bassbone is useful too.

Owen knows - practice would help too. When your fingers are in good shape, you'll probably sound awesome through a Maplins cheapest pickup and a cardboard box!

Hi,

I use a Realist pickup and SD Systems LCM100 clip on bridge-microphone into a Radial PZ-Pre pedal pre-amp. That goes into a Markbass SA450 or Little Mark II (although I prefer the 'drier' sound of the SA450... The LMII sounds 'glossy' if that makes any sense!) into a Bergantino HT112 12" speaker cabinet. After experimenting on various gigs this year I now position the cabinet behind the bass to minimise feedback from the very sensitive dynamic mic.

You can hear it here. The Blended pickup/mic signal is being sent direct to the desk via the Radial's pre-EQ XLR output. The Markbass/Bergantino rig is just for stage monitoring.

I think it's a pretty natural sound. Please feel free to critique any bad techniques you witness!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBNmBrL9NiE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBNmBrL9NiE[/url]

Steve

Edited by funkmunky