Why become a member? ×

Has anyone bought a Fender Road Worn bass yet?

OutToPlayJazz

Gotta say, Rich, the fiesta red roadworn Jazz does look very nice - and it sounds great too, judging by the clip you posted a few days ago of that dude shredding on one (like a 21st century Jaco; he was not my cup of tea musically but technically was very impressive)

For those reading here is a link to the clip [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=63425&view=findpost&p=627418"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=627418[/url]

Edited by Clarky

i was interested, until i read they were MIM? Which i think for the street price is too expensive., although i think regular MIM's have got too expensive now.

<<<<<< Im quite happy with my Vintage :)

Edited by Kev

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='630897' date='Oct 19 2009, 10:49 PM']As above... Discuss. And yes, I know I like shiny and new, but there's just something about these, isn't there?[/quote]

I will have one by the end of this month!! Fingers crossed - it will be the red jazz. I really can't see the problem with the price and the fact its made in Mexico - the basses I've seen and played are on a par with any of the custom shop jobs I've played. If I had the money, I'd have all four models, the red Jazz + P bass, and the sunburst models!

Nick

[quote name='Duarte' post='630950' date='Oct 19 2009, 11:32 PM']I really don't understand why someone would buy a bass that has been beaten up a bit, considering they cost more and don't look genuine. I just don't see it...[/quote]

I love buying basses (as you might just have guessed!) - there's nothing like a brand spanking new bass! However, I also love the idea of a relic as you are not worried about it gaining more dinks if you see what I mean! They do look and feel like an old vintage bass, for a fifth of the price. Have you played one?

Guest johnzgerman

[quote name='Duarte' post='630950' date='Oct 19 2009, 11:32 PM']I really don't understand why someone would buy a bass that has been beaten up a bit, considering they cost more and don't look genuine. I just don't see it...[/quote]

yes it does seem a bit pointless

Except they are not totally pointless. The worn and exposed wood and thin cellulose lacquer releases the true tone of the wood. They are surprising resonant and tonally pleasing. Before you slag them off try them. I agree the look is quite often false and is obviously so to an experienced bassist.

There are plenty of other makers doing the same thing though such as Nash.

As for MIM, I agree that for a purist that doesn't feel right. But I am more interested in the supply of wood and the quality of the electronics. If these are good then the MIM badge is less of an issue.

Peace
Davo

The bass version of Stone washed/Distressed jeans perhaps? I played a couple recently and they played fine the action a little bit high but thats just preferance, The relicing looked a little strange compared to a '68 Jazz they also had in but TBH they played better than the '68 at a near quarter of the price.

Ezbass here has a P (double pup). I tried one recently at my LMS (PMT), a sunburst Jazz and it was very lovely. I normally play a '62 Jazz. I'll tell you what though... also tried a Squier CV Jazz... it was superb. Still have gas for the RW though.

[quote name='Clarky' post='630913' date='Oct 19 2009, 11:01 PM']Gotta say, Rich, the fiesta red roadworn Jazz does look very nice - and it sounds great too, judging by the clip you posted a few days ago of that dude shredding on one (like a 21st century Jaco; he was not my cup of tea musically but technically was very impressive)

For those reading here is a link to the clip [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=63425&view=findpost&p=627418"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=627418[/url][/quote]

I'd back you up on that, to a degree. I tried that fella out alongside its £2.5K older Custom Shop brother. Whilst not having the honk of the CS, I did like it and it looks ubercool. But, for me, there's the MIM tag. OK, sure, they're better now than the stuff produced in the '90s whose metalwork would cut your hands to shreds but it's still something I baulk at. And the £900 price tag is not helping me get over that mental hurdle.

Edited by Stacker

[quote name='Davo-London' post='630976' date='Oct 20 2009, 12:02 AM']Except they are not totally pointless. The worn and exposed wood and thin cellulose lacquer releases the true tone of the wood. They are surprising resonant and tonally pleasing.[/quote]

I'm sorry but I think that is total BS :rolleyes:

True tone of the wood? It's not a violin :)

No disrespect intended, just my ten penneth

As mentioned above I have one which I have added another P p/up to. This upgrade was always my intention so I went shopping for a new P bass. I whittled it down to the standard MIM 50's reissue, the Road Worn and a Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub. I demoed these three side by side and the RW played the best, was the lightest and had the best tone to my ears, not a million miles away from the sound and feel of my '63 P. The best thing was that it wasn't the most expensive. So I bought it and I'm very happy with it. The relic look isn't to everyone's taste, but it certainly made having it cut into for the new p/up easier to have done as any potential chipping (there wasn't any) not matter a jot. I did find the nitro on the neck a bit stickier than I like so I stripped that off and shaped the neck a little more to the shape of my '63. I am a happy RW owner YMMV of course.

What annoys me most about the opinions these garner is not about the look as that is a matter of taste, it's the "Oh it's made in Mexico" comments. These are very well made, great sounding basses easily on a par with the MIA instruments, that should be all that matters. No one bitches about the Lakland Skylines and they are madly expensive for a Far Eastern instrument, certanly compared to the G&L Tributes for instance.

As wood gets older & the instrument is played more, the sound does penetrate through it better. Same goes for varnish. It takes a time for the sound to permeate through. But that's my experience of classical instruments.

Electric instruments will share this effect to a lesser degree, as so much is in the pickups and electronics.

As a point in question, D4dve comes for his lessons on a Sunday with his Status S2-Classic 5-er. Dave's is maple & mine is the Myrtle wood one. Mine is a lot more polite sounding, but Dave's maple bass is a few years older & much more vocal and brighter sounding. So there is something in the woods and an ageing process.

Rich.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

I think it's very important to understand that wood is structurally complex and unique in terms of density, grain structure and grain orientation.

One piece of wood will be significantly different from another, even from the same tree or an adjacent cut. In a bass if we take out the primary influence of the pickups and electrics, the type of construction and neck stiffness we then have a slightly noticeable (I would suggest) tonal variation in the individual blank used to construct the body.

To suggest that, given the variable already inherent in the unique body wood, the thinning of some finish is an influence that makes a generic model 'better' than others in the range reeks to me of marketing hype.

Maybe I got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning?

Don't get me going on the whole aspect of making a bass look like something it isn't :)

Peter

Well, you should read Nash's article on his website about finish, or the lack of it and how it affects tone. I have come across a lot of references to this recently. I also don't believe what I read. BUT, i do trust my ears. And after 3 decades of playing I had come to that conclusion as well. Wood selection is the element that they have added to the RW basses. And this for me is the key.

As I say, anyone that slags them off without trying is hardly being subjective.

But, yes this is the internet ... I know.

As a complete aside my glazier said, when I was thinking about replacing my 100 year old windows in my house, just change the glass, keep the wood. You just cannot get that quality of wood anymore.

Peace
Davo

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='631112' date='Oct 20 2009, 09:43 AM']I think it's very important to understand that wood is structurally complex and unique in terms of density, grain structure and grain orientation.

One piece of wood will be significantly different from another, even from the same tree or an adjacent cut. In a bass if we take out the primary influence of the pickups and electrics, the type of construction and neck stiffness we then have a slightly noticeable (I would suggest) tonal variation in the individual blank used to construct the body.

To suggest that, given the variable already inherent in the unique body wood, the thinning of some finish is an influence that makes a generic model 'better' than others in the range reeks to me of marketing hype.

Maybe I got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning?

Don't get me going on the whole aspect of making a bass look like something it isn't :)

Peter[/quote]

This makes sense to me Pedro.

I’m a big fan of the relic look in general, and I’d take any Fender instrument that looks relic’d over a new one EVERY time. I have a brand spanking Fender custom V and the only thing I’d change about it is that I’d like it to look old and worn instead.

On subject, I haven’t tried any roadworn instruments, but they seem to get extremely good reviews on playability, both bass and guitars.

I'm not really a fan of 'reliced' basses - I think it's cool when a bassist has owned an instrument a long time and they've aged together but I think buying one in an attempt to give that impression is a bit bogus TBH but hey, that's just my opinion.

That said, if I was in a shop trying basses out, I'd definitely try a RW one and with an open mind. If it played and sounded better than the rest, I'd buy one.

I'm always petrified of dinging unmarked basses and I really do see the appeal of having a RW one where the worry of dings would dissipate.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='631106' date='Oct 20 2009, 09:32 AM']As wood gets older & the instrument is played more, the sound does penetrate through it better. Same goes for varnish. It takes a time for the sound to permeate through. But that's my experience of classical instruments.

Rich.[/quote]

I'm just waiting for the Graphite to age in my Status.........................I'll get me coat :)

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='631260' date='Oct 20 2009, 12:22 PM']I'm always petrified of dinging unmarked basses and I really do see the appeal of having a RW one where the worry of dings would dissipate.[/quote]

+1.

I think some basses just don't 'age' well. Again I'll reference Status Graphite full graphite jobs, they look lovely new but not so good when scratched and dinged. Also my experience when selling 5-10 year old basses with dings is 'that looks knackered - I'll give you £50 for it' not 'they're very tastefully done scratches please take £1000' :)