Why become a member? ×

The OTHER Duck Dunn signature model

Happy Jack

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270468856563&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url]

If I could think of the slightest excuse to buy this, I wouldn't hesitate.

Ultra-limited production run from 1998. If you're not familiar with this one, have a look at [url="http://www.fender.com/community/forums/viewtopic.php?p=145771&sid=77fe9f1148ac5d50c5917ef67e19b957"]http://www.fender.com/community/forums/vie...5917ef67e19b957[/url]

Given that I already have the Lakland Duck Dunn (plus two other P's) I'm going to have to pass the other side.

Ah yes, the second DD signature bass which is the first Lakland DD signature bass which is actually a lightly-disguised Bob Glaub signature bass!

It all gets a bit confusing after a while.

Is there any limit to the number of signature basses any given artist is allowed to have?

And do they actually have to bear any resemblance to a bass actually played by the great man himself?

My Lakky DD in CAR is apparently not a bass that Duck Dunn has ever been recorded playing or even photographed holding (on stage, anyway), but is more of a [i][b][color="#8B0000"]this is what he would probably choose to play if he was just starting out as a bass player right now[/color] [/b][/i]sort of bass. I love it because it plays and sounds great, rather than because this is the bass he played on [i]Green Onions[/i].

Except he didn't play on [i]Green Onions[/i].

:)

How much for the look-alike? I've been looking.

I want the California Series P/J or the original P-Bass Deluxe in C.A.R. with a maple board because of the Duck Dunn.

It came out at the same NAMM as the Geddy Lee and Marcus Miller...Why didn't it stay?

I've seen Duck play a candy apple red Pecision with a Jazz bass neck, blocks and bound. Pre Lakland, i want to say a 68' neck, may be wrong.

Love Duck Dunn, what a sound.

[quote name='bigthumb' post='624141' date='Oct 12 2009, 04:25 PM']I like it but why dont they put the old reverse type tuners on it?

My Lakland Skyline DD is one belting Precision, if I do say so myself! Maybe slightly heavier than I would like but certainly not an issue.

[/quote]
i don't doubt that it's a brilliant bass as laklands suposedly are, and most of them look good, but that's odd looking, like a cartoon version of a '57 fender

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='624368' date='Oct 12 2009, 08:26 PM']i don't doubt that it's a brilliant bass as laklands suposedly are, and most of them look good, but that's odd looking, like a cartoon version of a '57 fender[/quote]

Well it is a 'Donald Duck' Dunn.....

I'll get me coat.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='624277' date='Oct 12 2009, 07:15 PM']How much for the look-alike? I've been looking.[/quote]

Mine?
[attachment=34376:IMG_5315.JPG]
[attachment=34377:57CARWholeFront.jpg]
PM me for a chat and gallery link etc

It's got a P bass neck though....
No mamby pamby skinny girl's jazz neck on this one :)

[quote]....Except he didn't play on Green Onions....[/quote]

[quote name='beerdragon' post='624229' date='Oct 12 2009, 06:21 PM']He didn't! don't tell me it was her again.[/quote]
I don't know who "her" is, but Lewis Steinberg was the original bass player in Booker T and the MG's and played on Green Onions.

I just have to join in and say that Fender MIJ DD #202 is with me, her proud owner. It was a steal off eBay at the time, because the seller just put one crappy photograph online.

It has been my favourite overall P bass for a couple of years now: neck neither too wide nor too fat, perfect weight, cool pickup (although not completely vintagish, as I reckon) and the looks. Ahh. Won't sell this one for sure.

Edit: It sports LaBella flats, which suit it best, IMHO.

Edit2: It's the bass in my avatar pic, although not much to be seen there.

Edited by 7enderhead

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='624207' date='Oct 12 2009, 05:55 PM']Ah yes, the second DD signature bass which is the first Lakland DD signature bass which is actually a lightly-disguised Bob Glaub signature bass!

It all gets a bit confusing after a while.

Is there any limit to the number of signature basses any given artist is allowed to have?

And do they actually have to bear any resemblance to a bass actually played by the great man himself?

My Lakky DD in CAR is apparently not a bass that Duck Dunn has ever been recorded playing or even photographed holding (on stage, anyway), but is more of a [i][b][color="#8B0000"]this is what he would probably choose to play if he was just starting out as a bass player right now[/color] [/b][/i]sort of bass. I love it because it plays and sounds great, rather than because this is the bass he played on [i]Green Onions[/i].

Except he didn't play on [i]Green Onions[/i].

:lol:[/quote]

Great post :rolleyes:

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='624277' date='Oct 12 2009, 07:15 PM']How much for the look-alike? I've been looking.

It came out at the same NAMM as the Geddy Lee and Marcus Miller...Why didn't it stay?[/quote]

'cos the neck is a pure Marmite, you either love it or hate it, and I think with most modern players, it's the latter :)