Why become a member? ×

Who would pay £10,000 for this bass?

lojo

[quote name='alanbass1' post='623129' date='Oct 11 2009, 02:38 PM']Fender used the method of spraying with woodedn baton screwed into the neck pocket early 1963, so you would not expect to see the bare wood for this period of guitar. Also, the shim material is consistent with what Fender was using back then. 10k is a lot and probably too much in the current economic climate but, and it is a big but, where else would you get an original item in this condition.[/quote]
Thank you - this place is an education

[quote name='lojo' post='622874' date='Oct 11 2009, 08:25 AM']I know I have had some strange gear choices over the years, but would this really interest anyone?[/quote]

people with lots of money and not knowing what to do with it. 10K is nothing to some! You'd pay more for a modern art piece. I think a vintage Jazz would look miles better than some crap art! Plus, it has residual value, and probably a safer bet if you want to 'invest'.

However, that particular bass is overpriced. It's worth a punt, doesn't cost much to advertise.

They've got a 1960 Precision up at a cheaper price (not custom colur though) only £9,250:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FENDER-PRECISION-BASS-1960-PRE-CBS-ALL-ORIGINAL-W-OHSC_W0QQitemZ390103274727QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item5ad3f794e7&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FENDER-PRECISION-BAS...34.c0.m14.l1262[/url]

Edited by EssentialTension

I have also played this Jazz. I trust it is original and £8k+ is a reasonable valuation. The stack knobs do fetch a higher price but the '62 would be my choice. I have been looking for some time for a refinished '62. Refinished so the price comes right down but as long as it is a complete '62 it wouldn't bother me. They have a thick slab of Brazilian rosewood and are usually very light.

I'd much rather spend money on an instrument than a car. That's what choice is. Those that condemn so easily should be a bit more circumspect IMHO.

Peace
Davo

It's a bit of a shame, that whoever ends up buying it probably won't play it a great deal if at all. Almost certainly not out of the house - would you take a £10k bass to the studio or <shudder> a live gig? I'd be worried to take the thing out from behind the alarm rigged plexiglass in case I put a greasy thumbprint on it.

You know what I'd love? If someone bought it, slapped a modern pup and preamp in there, routed a hole for a bridge pup as well, in with a Badass bridge, and gigged the hell out of it until it died of old age. Isn't that how we as musicians want to leave this life - denying our advancing years and playing out to people despite expectations that we're long past such things? Don't instruments deserve the same Viking death and flaming funeral?

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

... and you're never to old to rock 'n roll !

Edited by NickH

Ten grand on a good vintage Fender or Ten grand on a motor?

I'll be taking the bus thanks. :)

Yeah its a boat load of money, well certainly for me but in my book its worth it. Remember you'll more than likely get it for a few quid less with your suitcase of cash!

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='622947' date='Oct 11 2009, 10:50 AM']It always puzzles me when threads like this appear. Paying silly money for old collectable things, musical or not, is a practice that has been going on forever.[/quote]

Coming a bit late to this thread.... What is different now, though, is what has become collectible. It used to be that exclusivity and quality counted for something. And age - something has to be at least 100 years old to be considered antique. Sixties Fenders were (relatively) cheap, factory-built, mass-produced instruments that sold in their thousands and could be bought by any pimply teenager who could get his dad to OK the hire purchase form. They may have had plenty of competitive advantages, but there was never anything exclusive about them. Jimi's Strat might be an exception, but they really should be about as collectible as a Mk II Cortina.

There is a whiff of the Emperor's New Clothes about this vintage collection nonsense, which could make it a bubble ready to burst. I wouldn't bet my pension on one, that's for sure. But just look what's happened to pensions of late. :)

[quote name='alanbass1' post='624904' date='Oct 13 2009, 12:58 PM']Looks good according to provide.net, who have the best dating material for vintage guitars:

[url="http://www.pinrepair.com/vgi/fendinfo/djbass.jpg"]http://www.pinrepair.com/vgi/fendinfo/djbass.jpg[/url][/quote]
Cool! Thanks!

[quote name='NickH' post='624462' date='Oct 12 2009, 09:54 PM']It's a bit of a shame, that whoever ends up buying it probably won't play it a great deal if at all. Almost certainly not out of the house - would you take a £10k bass to the studio or <shudder> a live gig? I'd be worried to take the thing out from behind the alarm rigged plexiglass in case I put a greasy thumbprint on it.[/quote]

I reckon that as a gigging musician, if you could afford ten grand for a vintage bass, you'd probably not be gigging at the Dog and Duck - unless you were just loaded and gigged for fun of course.

On another bass forum I frequent, Flea was criticised a while back for daring to be a big rich rock star and owning and using a similar bass to this one. Or was it because he put a sticker on it? I forget!

Personally though, I understand why people want these instruments but I prefer mine to look and feel brand new.

[quote name='stevie' post='624967' date='Oct 13 2009, 01:56 PM']Sixties Fenders were (relatively) cheap, factory-built, mass-produced instruments that sold in their thousands and could be bought by any pimply teenager who could get his dad to OK the hire purchase form.[/quote]

...and look at how many of them have survived intact. That, along with the rose-tinted rock'n'roll dream, is what fuels the collectability - and that's not going to change any time soon...

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='625007' date='Oct 13 2009, 02:24 PM']...and look at how many of them have survived intact. That, along with the rose-tinted rock'n'roll dream, is what fuels the collectability - and that's not going to change any time soon...[/quote]
Dream on WoT.... you're an incurable romantic. :) What fuels their collectability is the expectation that they will increase in value - like stocks, shares, property and Chippendale furniture.

[quote name='stevie' post='625233' date='Oct 13 2009, 05:07 PM']Dream on WoT.... you're an incurable romantic. :) What fuels their collectability is the expectation that they will increase in value - like stocks, shares, property and Chippendale furniture.[/quote]

And they will.....