Why become a member? ×

Buying a bass online or over the phone

TheBlueFalcon

I find it bizarre that any dealer would expect a customer to accept an item in the condition that my “brand new” bass has just turned up in. Not only is there some horrible gunk on some of the frets, but there are mucky fingerprints all over it and a number of marks/dinks. It didn’t even come in the original box.

I can understand that dealers open up new basses to check and adjust them as “part of the service” but it seems to me that this is being used as a cunning way to sell ex-demo or used/returned goods.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='619700' date='Oct 7 2009, 04:19 PM']I'd send that one back![/quote]

Deffo. As well as that, try to get them to pay for the return costs seen as this isn't your fault. I've managed to talk a few online retailers into paying the return postage on items that are either faulty or poorly described - by law they don't have to but it shows goodwill if they do.

[quote name='Dubs' post='619706' date='Oct 7 2009, 04:23 PM']Deffo. As well as that, try to get them to pay for the return costs seen as this isn't your fault. I've managed to talk a few online retailers into paying the return postage on items that are either faulty or poorly described - by law they don't have to but it shows goodwill if they do.[/quote]

When an item is faulty or not as described, by law they DO have to pay the return postage. It is only if the customer changes their mind within the "cool off" period that they have to pay the return postage. That is the only plus side to this situation at the moment.

I bought a Fender Jazz on-line from Sounds Live a couple of months ago. Although it was in completely as-new condition the neck pocket had a very big gap between body and neck (over 1mm) which I found unacceptable. They took it back and paid postage costs and offered a replacement (which I turned down due to similar neck pocket issue, revealed on photos they sent to me). They then refunded in full. Apparently this is their standard returns policy and I sort of assume (or at least hope) that this applies to many other reputable on-line retailers.

If you email your retailer photos I do not see how they can refuse to replace/refund as they have entered into a contract with you to supply a new instrument (which yours palpably is not). The emails can then be used as documentary evidence should a dispute arise (otherwise they could claim disingenuously that you caused the damage/gunk).

Good luck

[quote name='TheBlueFalcon' post='619737' date='Oct 7 2009, 04:46 PM']When an item is faulty or not as described, by law they DO have to pay the return postage. It is only if the customer changes their mind within the "cool off" period that they have to pay the return postage. That is the only plus side to this situation at the moment.[/quote]

Sounds like you know more about this kind of thing than me. Good luck with getting it all sorted - sounds like a pain in the arse.

[quote name='Dubs' post='619765' date='Oct 7 2009, 05:09 PM']Sounds like you know more about this kind of thing than me. Good luck with getting it all sorted - sounds like a pain in the arse.[/quote]

Thanks very much.

Having worked in a sales environment (in a different industry) I had to have a good knowledge of the laws on such things. I was always very meticulous when handling goods and would never have dreamed of misleading a customer, even the bad ones!!

The Stagg EUB i bought from Soundslive (i think!) turned up with a fault, dodgy neck alignment. They collected it and sent a replacement out from another warehouse, giving it a proper check and setup. They were really nice on the phone and very apologetic

If you're getting bad service and it's costing you money then the retailer is in the wrong

[quote name='Clarky' post='619744' date='Oct 7 2009, 04:53 PM']I bought a Fender Jazz on-line from Sounds Live a couple of months ago. Although it was in completely as-new condition the neck pocket had a very big gap between body and neck (over 1mm) which I found unacceptable. They took it back and paid postage costs and offered a replacement (which I turned down due to similar neck pocket issue, revealed on photos they sent to me). They then refunded in full. Apparently this is their standard returns policy and I sort of assume (or at least hope) that this applies to many other reputable on-line retailers.

If you email your retailer photos I do not see how they can refuse to replace/refund as they have entered into a contract with you to supply a new instrument (which yours palpably is not). The emails can then be used as documentary evidence should a dispute arise (otherwise they could claim disingenuously that you caused the damage/gunk).

Good luck[/quote]

Thanks Clarky. I've taken photos, but hopefully it'll all be sorted out without any problems.

Having bought an Ibanez SR300 last month (for my brother) from Fair Deal Music, I expected to receive my bass in a similar condition. The SR300 was in it's original box with hex wrenches, a manual and a cable. It had been checked and adjusted, but it certainly didn't have grubby fingerprints everywhere, or gunk on the frets, or any marks/dinks.

I will most likely return this bass for a refund and buy one from Fair Deal Music, which is what I probably should have done to begin with. The only reason I didn't is because they didn't have it in stock and were a bit more expensive. I'll certainly not think twice about spending that little extra for better service in future. :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='619744' date='Oct 7 2009, 04:53 PM']I bought a Fender Jazz on-line from Sounds Live a couple of months ago. Although it was in completely as-new condition the neck pocket had a very big gap between body and neck (over 1mm) which I found unacceptable. They took it back and paid postage costs and offered a replacement (which I turned down due to similar neck pocket issue, revealed on photos they sent to me). They then refunded in full. Apparently this is their standard returns policy and I sort of assume (or at least hope) that this applies to many other reputable on-line retailers.

Good luck[/quote]

I remember you telling me about these two basses. Im steering clear of getting those! 2 bad neck pockets is just silly; but im glad they were so good with the refund. Soundslive seem like nice guys.

[quote name='TheBlueFalcon' post='619697' date='Oct 7 2009, 04:17 PM']Not only is there some horrible gunk on some of the frets, but there are mucky fingerprints all over it and a number of marks/dinks. It didn’t even come in the original box.[/quote]

I wouldn't be worried about the box, the gunk or fingerprints - but marks and dinks and it would go straight back.

If you buy something on line you have 7 days to return it under the selling at distance (or something like that) rule. Basically, if you return it as new they have to give you your money back. Dont know about over the phone but I imagine that it would be the same deal if you cant see the item you are ordering.

Also watch some ads as they may say "item may be on display" which could mean that every spotty 13 year old death metal numpty could have had their hands on it.

Jez

Edited by jezzaboy

[quote name='TheBlueFalcon' post='619737' date='Oct 7 2009, 04:46 PM']When an item is faulty or not as described, by law they DO have to pay the return postage. It is only if the customer changes their mind within the "cool off" period that they have to pay the return postage. That is the only plus side to this situation at the moment.[/quote]

paypal and e bay dont you have to pay for the return even if the item is faulty