Why become a member? ×

So we supported The Beat last night....

Raggy

[quote name='Raggy' post='615543' date='Oct 3 2009, 10:25 AM']...And it was bloody ace fun. :)

Looks like we might be asked to support them on two other gigs as well. So we are well made up.[/quote]
Great band! That must have been enormous fun! I know the guitarist, got a feeling he might not be with them at the moment though. Where was the gig? I was seeing posters in London at a venue we played recently, can't remember where though, Rhythm Factory perhaps?

Anyway, great support slot to have! Nice one!

[quote name='Raggy' post='615582' date='Oct 3 2009, 11:09 AM']No I think half of the original band are in thet States and the other over here.[/quote]
Which members are in the one over here? I'm guessing Dave Wakeling might be stateside..?

EDIT: yes I know I could google it, but TBH I am in Saturday afternoon can't-be-arsed mode :)

The Beat are a great band and very underrated in my opinion. The Beat at the minute have only two original members... Ranking Roger taking lead vocals and Everett Morton on Drums. However Roger's son Matt also sings and is a great addition to the band. On Keyboards is Micky Billingham who played with Dexy's Midnight Runners and then in General Public (with Dave Wakeling, Roger, Mick Jones and Horace Panter).

I met the band for the first time last year when I interviewed Roger for my Dissertation on protest music in the Thatcher years. I have since seen the band 3 times and swapped numbers with Roger, he is such a nice guy and we're keeping in touch :).

David Steele played some great basslines back in the day too. Big Shot is a personal favorite.

Great news that you got to support them Raggy. What is your band called? Hopefully I might see yous together in future.

Kev

Cheers guys, the gig was at the 12Bar in Swindon and we are called The Killertones.

Agreed, Rogers son is an amazing addition to the band, not such an imposing stage presence as his old man but certainly sounded like he could toast with the best.

Twist and Crawl was in the set but what they also did do was an awsome version of The Clash's Rock the Casbah.

Edited by Raggy

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='616737' date='Oct 4 2009, 07:13 PM']I love The Beat...I've had the chance to see them a couple of times but not bothered as i know Dave Wakeling in the US and not with the band anymore so it's not The Beat as far as I'm concerned.[/quote]
The other two - David Steele (bass) and Andy Cox (guitar) - became Fine Young Cannibals with Roland Gift.

[quote name='Duarte' post='616807' date='Oct 4 2009, 08:18 PM']The Beat were great at Bestival...good work!

How the hell did you manage that?[/quote]

Cheers, we supported Roddy Radiation's (The Specials) band called Skabilly Rebels and also Dreadzone in the same venue last year and it was the same promoter. She seems to like us.