Why become a member? ×

whats worng with my bass??

pal1972

Just curious guys, i posted my jazz in the for sale section but had absolutely NO interest!? its the fender jazz 24 fret model, made for a couple of years i believe but no longer made. Granted it says 'made in korea' on it and tru fenderites may disapprove but its build REALLY well and plays great. Is it just that no-one wants a 24 fret jazz? or is it really just because it says 'Korea'??? just curious :)

Maybe the price is too high? £450 is about the highest price a Korean made bass goes for at shops (new). In the current economic climate, £450 will buy you a nice second hand USA made bass, so I find your offer hardly competitive, even though it looks to be a very nice bass that "superjazz" of yours.

I had a look at that before, nice bass! Maybe a little overpriced, however basschat prices tend to be quite a bit cheaper than the going rate.

My Warmoth fretless has been up for sale for months and months, that's a premium wood Jazz with top quality components and a great build with a good case for £370. It'll go, just gotta wait until someone wants it!

One thing that irks me is that i initially refused a great trade for a bass which later sold for over £500. Live and learn i guess!

Also bear in mind that it's not everyone's idea of a Fender Jazz, the more typical styles are always more popular and tend to go pretty quickly

i've dropped it to £400, but still no-one, i could go further but then i'm at a loss with anything i want tobuy - catch22!!! TBH though, i have seen and played a few us ones that really were poorer quality than this one!! i guess Skoda syndrome comes into it - built as highly as vw but its the badge that puts people off!!!

[quote name='pal1972' post='615173' date='Oct 2 2009, 08:04 PM']Just curious guys, i posted my jazz in the for sale section but had absolutely NO interest!? its the fender jazz 24 fret model, made for a couple of years i believe but no longer made. Granted it says 'made in korea' on it and tru fenderites may disapprove but its build REALLY well and plays great. Is it just that no-one wants a 24 fret jazz? or is it really just because it says 'Korea'??? just curious :)[/quote]
1 Market is slow at the moment.

2 Give it time

3 Basschat prices tend to be lower - I recently sold a US Fretless Fender Jazz with hard case for £450 (and that took over a week) - which is about what I paid for it on Basschat.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='pal1972' post='615240' date='Oct 2 2009, 09:16 PM']i've dropped it to £400, but still no-one, i could go further but then i'm at a loss with anything i want tobuy - catch22!!! TBH though, i have seen and played a few us ones that really were poorer quality than this one!! i guess Skoda syndrome comes into it - built as highly as vw but its the badge that puts people off!!![/quote]

Don't expect a sale straight away! I stuck a nice bass on here for £65 the other week and it still took a day or two

Leave it a week or two, chances are only a small percentage of BCers will have seen the ad, let lone considered buying it. Stuff takes a while to sell, give it a bump every week and keep an eye on the wanted section and also on trades

[quote name='pal1972' post='615240' date='Oct 2 2009, 09:16 PM']i've dropped it to £400, but still no-one, i could go further but then i'm at a loss with anything i want tobuy - catch22!!! TBH though, i have seen and played a few us ones that really were poorer quality than this one!! i guess Skoda syndrome comes into it - built as highly as vw but its the badge that puts people off!!![/quote]
I haven't had anything but a Skoda for the last ten years - they are brilliant.

Most people here haven't got anything against a bass being built in Korea.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='615405' date='Oct 3 2009, 12:10 AM']I haven't had anything but a Skoda for the last ten years - they are brilliant.

Most people here haven't got anything against a bass being built in Korea.[/quote]
Skoda represent superb value for money but it's the public that set the resale price level, and they don't hold their value as much as a VW, for example.
Same with basses - Korean instruments are now regarded as good quality, higher value than Chinese or Indonesian but less than Japanese which is less than American.
Chinese quality is now very good and prices are lower than ever, but they will never hold their value as well as a US instrument because of market perceptions.
If it's not selling then it's priced too high. Try a trade-in but you'll get even less for it at a shop.

Just give it time. As others have said, the market is pretty flat at the moment. People are being very cautious with their money, but those Korean Jazz 24's are excellent instruments and I've never heard a bad thing about them.

As for Skoda syndrome, my two Skodas (a Superb and an Octavia) were vastly better cars than my current VW :)

There's probably nothing wrong your bass, except for the fact that no-one wants to buy it right now at that price.

However I don't think that 5 days is a particularly long time. I've sold 2 basses here. The first a Squier VMJ which at the time was one of the "happening" basses took almost 3 months to sell. The other which was considerably less desirable took well over a year from my first for sale thread to the sale itself. You just need to be patient and wait for the right buyer to come along.

Hi mate,

Part of the problem with your ad is those pics - they aren't that great. You don't even need a good camera, the crucial things are:

1). Decent Light - take them outside if you have to
2). Neutral background - even grass is okay, it allows people to clearly seperate the bass from the background
3). Fill the frame / crop - make sure that the interesting stuff (the bass) fills the picture - Picasa etc will let you crop and it's free!
4). Make sure the photo is sharp - again, Picasa has sharpen tools, but if it's blurry to begin with, re-shoot.
5). Get the details - serial number maybe, close up of flame top, bridge, pickups, tuners, machineheads, fretboard AND any cosmetic damage
6). Resize your pics to 800 pixels on the longest side and dump the html straight into the ad, then full size piccies display without the irritating 'click to enlarge'.

Lastly, consider what would make YOU buy it if you were looking:

1). Clearly laid out text describing what the bass is
2). A condition rating with clear info
3). Information on postage and packing with a few options
4). Amount required, whether offers or trades are considered and payment options

If you approach your advert more logically, you will sell it if it's priced right. I personally think you are asking a little to much, although I can see why - you do have to be realistic though, and given that you'll save yourself about £50 in fees, look at the eBay final prices and reduce the cost a touch.

Cheers,
James

I've looked for your sale thread several times since I first posted in this thread and eventually found it just now. Your sales pitch is really not helping - as others have already observed.

The title of your thread doesn't emphasize the instrument you are selling - it's the [u]name of the instrument[/u] that people will be looking for not phrases like 'for sale'.

In your first pic the bass you are selling isn't even the main bass in the pic and is hidden behind a strap plus lots of other irrelevant stuff in the pic and it's a poor pic.

You other pics are slightly better but still not clear, not focussed, not showing what the bass is actually like.

You don't say anything about postage or collection or whether there is a case or gigbag or how you will pack it.

I wouldn't be interested in a Jazz 24 anyway but if I was then any interest would be reduced not increased by your sales thread.

There is also (in my view) the issue of the price.

Nonetheless, good luck with your sale.