Why become a member? ×

Moderation

ZPQ

Hi,

Just sort of thinking out loud a bit here, and maybe I should pm the site owners but I thought a discussion might be helpful... (if only to make things clear for me)

I'm curious about a few things relating to the moderation of the forum:

The variation in the style, speed and tone of responses from mods

- e.g. if someone asks a common question most forums would have a mod politely point out the sticky /faq etc and we can move on or add the the existing knowledge. On BC it seems that either such a post is ignored or jumped on any variation.

- e.g.2 someone posts and inappropriate comment - editing or deleting a post is fine by me, but you would leave the post there and delete the comment adding an explanation. On BC some (IMHO) well iffy posts are ignored and other useful (again IMHO) posts are edited or deleted with no explanation.

Posting guidelines - is there ever a review of what is and isn't suitable...
I'm thinking about the sales section:
- could we not have a tighter guideline about the frequency of bumps?
- would it not be more appropriate to insist that people advertise here before the bay, giving regular here a chance rather than just treating people here as a way to spread the word about their auction (that can be useful but I think it should be after the regulars have had a chance)
- clearer guidelines for people wanting to comment on other peoples ads - e/g/ price is too high, the endless gossip saying "buy this it's great" etc.

I guess I'm thinking the site could be more pleasant (is that the right word?) if there was some more consistant, and transparent up front moderation and guidelines than the feeling of uncertainty I get at the moment.

or maybe I've had a long day and should just go with the flow?

Thanks
John

Hi John,

I see many of your comments and can appreciate your point of view. My personal feelings are that unless something is really bad, then it can normally be dealt with by other members taking the offender down a peg or two. Deleting threads/posts is messy as there are always innocents who get tied in and lose their post.

I guess I don't really understand that there could be anything THAT bad on an online forum that would necessitate stronger moderation rules. I think most people just read what they like and avoid arguments etc if they are not interested, which, thankfully, most people are not.

Making tighter limits on the for sale forum in terms of pre-ebay items only etc etc would be very difficult to enforce and would cut down some of the items listed quite a lot - most good basschatters offer the items to other members at a better price, and those who don't, well - the item has less chance of selling. But that is up to the poster to decide. Personally I value the relationships built with other members through buying and selling items, and the simple 'look at my ebay auction' threads just don't compete. I am sure others find them a good 'heads up' on items they might otherwise miss, so swings and roundabouts.

As always, if there is anything in particular you think should be 'moderated' for any reason, just PM one of the mods, Steve or myself and we will be only too happy to help.

I hope that doesn't sound like I said no to everything. It would be good to hear what people think and suggest some ideas. I think a 'report post' button might be a useful and quick way of alerting a mod to a particular thread.

Cheers
ped

[quote]- e.g. if someone asks a common question most forums would have a mod politely point out the sticky /faq etc and we can move on or add the the existing knowledge. On BC it seems that either such a post is ignored or jumped on any variation.

- e.g.2 someone posts and inappropriate comment - editing or deleting a post is fine by me, but you would leave the post there and delete the comment adding an explanation. On BC some (IMHO) well iffy posts are ignored and other useful (again IMHO) posts are edited or deleted with no explanation.[/quote]

People don't 'ignore' posts, they just have nothing to add to it.....

Can you give some examples of 'well iffy' and 'useful' post being deleted? Nothing springs to mind for me, although I havn't been on here for a while.

[quote name='ped' post='66087' date='Sep 26 2007, 08:01 PM']I hope that doesn't sound like I said no to everything. It would be good to hear what people think and suggest some ideas. I think a 'report post' button might be a useful and quick way of alerting a mod to a particular thread.

Cheers
ped[/quote]

Fair enough - like I said I was sort of thinking out loud.
I guess the lack of consistency was something I found a bit odd, but perhaps I'm used to forums that are more "aggressively" (is that the word) moderated but with explanations for the moderation.

Thanks for replying though - I always like the atmosphere on BW where everything (that I recall) was friendly and upfront, and it sort of feels less like that here. Maybe it's just me. Good to hear your views though.

Cheers
John

[quote]I guess the lack of consistency was something I found a bit odd, but perhaps I'm used to forums that are more "aggressively" (is that the word) moderated but with explanations for the moderation.[/quote]

I know what you mean about aggressiveness, some other forums I've been on have very tight rules, especially with classifieds. On an Ibanez site I look at, you *must* put a price on any classified ad, you're not allowed to link to ebay or have the item on ebay at the same time and you're not even allowed to chat in a 'for sale' thread!

[quote name='ZPQ' post='66093' date='Sep 26 2007, 08:13 PM']Fair enough - like I said I was sort of thinking out loud.
I guess the lack of consistency was something I found a bit odd, but perhaps I'm used to forums that are more "aggressively" (is that the word) moderated but with explanations for the moderation.

Thanks for replying though - I always like the atmosphere on BW where everything (that I recall) was friendly and upfront, and it sort of feels less like that here. Maybe it's just me. Good to hear your views though.

Cheers
John[/quote]

No worries John, thanks for speaking out and letting me know. I just really don't want to have any rules or regulations as such (other than outlined in stickies/signup script etc) because it is really hard work! I think things flow pretty nicely here and any arguments are sorted out before most of us realise things have turned.

I know there have been one or two discrepancies recently, such as the deletion (and apparently editing) of a thread but I still don't know the facts there so I think I will concentrate on keeping things running! What other inconsistencies have you noticed?

Cheers mate and thanks for the kind words Chris ;0)

ped

Hi ZPQ. The only thing I would maybe add to the discussion at the moment, is that having a few moderators, we all have varying views on what should and shouldn't be moderated. I wonder if that can blur the edges of what should and shouldn't be 'edited' etc.

I tend to be as lenient (spelling) as possible, but I will ** bad language and pull up people if they are being out of order.

If there are any specific that you would like to pull up on, I am happy to take a look at, as I'm sure the other mods are too. I think Ped has hinted that we want the place to be as chilled out as possible. I think the majority of users on the board all want the same and are able to self moderate.

Hopefully the infrequency of 'serious' moderation is a reflection on how well we all get on here.

I like your ideas about the for sale section.. mebbe us mods can have a chat about guidelines. (Yes, I have been guilty of too many bumps!! (and was pulled up! lol)

[quote name='ZPQ' post='66080' date='Sep 26 2007, 07:48 PM']but you would leave the post there and delete the comment adding an explanation[/quote]

This sounds like an excellent idea to me.

I reoutinley have posts removed (at least 1 this week) that break no rules, I don't know who did it, I don't know why.

The mods shouldn't sit behind a screen of anonymous impunity, afterall - this is advertised as community not a dictatorship.

FAKE EDIT: let me add, the post I had removed quoted another user and had the two words: "Succinctly put" with no other content. I wonder what rule that broke? - but then I don't know who to ask because none of the mods will own up to deleting it.

Maybe it was a "database error" like the one that deleted the BT68 account?

Edited by Toasted

[quote name='Toasted' post='66160' date='Sep 26 2007, 10:06 PM']This sounds like an excellent idea to me.

I reoutinley have posts removed (at least 1 this week) that break no rules, I don't know who did it, I don't know why.

The mods shouldn't sit behind a screen of anonymous impunity, afterall - this is advertised as community not a dictatorship.

FAKE EDIT: let me add, the post I had removed quoted another user and had the two words: "Succinctly put" with no other content. I wonder what rule that broke? - but then I don't know who to ask because none of the mods will own up to deleting it.

Maybe it was a "database error" like the one that deleted the BT68 account?[/quote]

I'm not really sure what you are refering to Joe. As a moderator I hide nowhere. I think the mods in general do post a message about posts being edited. Maybe one or two got through the net? I can't really do a 'look up' for edited posts as the forum doesnt have that kind of auditing available I don't think.

[quote name='ped' post='66166' date='Sep 26 2007, 10:20 PM']All deleted threads go into the 'recycle bin' where I found the BFM thread which went offline. The only thing in there by you Joe is your Dingwall for sale thread - is that meant to be there??

Cheers
ped[/quote]

I PM'd Matt and asked him to remove that thread - the buyer wanted it, for some reason. :)

[quote name='ped' post='66166' date='Sep 26 2007, 10:20 PM']All deleted threads go into the 'recycle bin' where I found the BFM thread which went offline. The only thing in there by you Joe is your Dingwall for sale thread - is that meant to be there??

Cheers
ped[/quote]

If deleted threads go into the 'recycle bin', where do deleted posts go? Is there an 'audit trail' to show who deleted the thread or post?

Ta

Hamster

Guest subaudio

I'm happy with the level and style of moderation here, it gives a nice relaxed vibe and character to the site, and the site does self regulate when things get a bit iffy, with mods stepping in only if really required.

Good stuff, long may it continue :-)

Marti

My connection has been well iffy for the last few days - hence I've missed this one.

What we ask the mods to do is to use their common sense. Obviously there is bound to be some inconsistency in this, and that's where Ped and I will discuss things with them if they need some support. The mods need a sense of autonomy because this is how they build their experience.

If you think that there's some inconsistency in how the forums are moderated PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let us know via PM using examples. I agree that consistency is important and if there's a specific issue somewhere then Ped and I can raise it with the mods for discussion simply so we are all clear about the best way to deal with the same situation next time.

Its all about striking the right balance at the end of the day and helping to ensure the focus within the forum stays positive.