Why become a member? ×

Made a mistake ?

macp

I am a new bass player and recently bought a new 5 string bass 2 or 3mths ago.Im fairly happy with my progress but Im concerned that I have perhaps made the wrong choice.I loaned a 4 string from my brother and I can really feel the difference.The space between the strings is great and I seem to be able to move around the fretboard a lot more easily without catching the wrong string.

The missus will cutoff my nads if I suggest changing to a 4 string which will probably cost me money ?

So do I stick at it or try to make the change to a 4 ?

Many thanks.

keep the five, you'll get used to it!

EDIT to expand, otherwise i sound like a hypocrite as i coudnt get along with 5 strings so sold mine!

what i mean is, you aren't used to four stringers and dont own any four stringers, and you're starting from scratch. you might as well use what you've got, and you'll get used to it, and learning on a five string will probably make you a more versatile player in the long run (queue arguments for/against 5 strings :)). if you sell up now to buy a four string, you probably will lose money (i always do when i sell a bass to buy a new one), and then you'll play a four string for a few years, and you'll end up wanting to try out a five string eventually (most players do) and then 5 stringers will seem bizarre to you.

its also a matter of what you play, if you're in a punk band then a four string is all you need. if you're in a death metal band, the lower frequencies will be useful. or if you're in a jazz band, the extra range of notes will also come in handy.

remember what drew you to a 5 string in the first place, and ask yourself if you're willing to lose that for the sake of making starting out a little easier to yourself (because it WILL be easier learning on a 4 string, unless you're already used to the 5 string). its just a matter of if you put in the extra work, you'll have the advantages of a 5 string, if you don't have the time/can't be bothered etc. to put in the extra work of learning on a 5 string, then you wont have those advantages. to be honest it shouldn't be much more work anyway, it just might be a little confusing to begin with!

personally i dont think its worth you probably losing out on some cash, maybe even confusing yourself a little with the change, and losing the advantages of a 5 string. however, its up to you what you do eventually!

Edited by Tait

Took me way more than a few months to convert..which is one reason why I will not consider going back...

To transfer all my skills and tricks it took best part of a year, I'd say..maybe more..to be pretty comfortable

An that time, I had about 20 years (prob ) on a 4 so it was long and painful, IME..

I know what you mean. I bought a 5 string 3 weeks ago as my first bass and then got given a 4 string 2 weeks later. The 4 string does feel easier to play, but Im determined to learn on the 5, as I know in the long run it will be benificial. Just stick at it! In the future, you'll be glad you can play a 5 and a 4, rather than having to relearn again to play a 5.

I am a traditional 4 string player...but I wanted that ability to go lower without the downtuning and messing about. Also, it adds more options for where you play your bass lines.

I searched for a fair while...the easiest 5 string to play for me is the Lakland 5 string neck...feels so 'right' straight away. I am ordering one in a few days.

Stick with it...they are very useful and it will be good to be able to play both :)

Thanks guys very encouraging responses.Tait man that was an epic response thanks.I went for the 5 because my brother reckoned I could handle it because in his opinion I have a natural ability :) .Thinking about it when I play a 4 its only easier because Im transferring what I have learnt on my 5.

I love all music but my preference is for jazz, funk & blues and I must admit that low B is pure sex.Im listening to the John Mayer trio and Jill Scott at the moment and almost weeping with joy at the quality of musicianship.

I guess I am just in need of some interaction with fellow bass players.

Im not a young guy (43) but I just had to answer the calling.Wish I had carried on learning when I was younger, regrets eh.It had to happen eventually as my dad was a drummer, my mum a singer and my bro used to play bass in several local bands.

Anyway I hope I havent made it much more difficult and lengthened the time it will take to get something like half decent.Im thinking it could be about 5 or 6yrs before Im ok.

Im just doing this for fun and the pleasure it gives but as I was told by a chap in a music store dont discount getting into a band.He went onto say that bass players and drummers are always sought after whereas guitarists are everywhere.He said that they sell 20 guitars for every bass they sell.

Edited by macp

[quote name='macp' post='611268' date='Sep 28 2009, 09:07 PM']Thanks guys very encouraging responses.Tait man that was an epic response thanks.I went for the 5 because my brother reckoned I could handle it because in his opinion I have a natural ability :)[/quote]

i started on a 5 string and switched back to a 4er but to be honest if i needed it i'd go back to a 5 string in a moment! natural ability doesn't mean you needed to play a 5 string tho lol, stick with it tho man! 5 strings rule! as do 6 strings!

andy

During the early stages, the wider neck of the 5 feels more cumbersome. For me, the way to get round this was to keep the LH thumb more on the back of the neck, i.e. to clearly move away from trying to closely wrap my hand around the neck in the way that is possible with a 4. After a while this slightly different wrist angle rotation starts to feel natural and mobility increases.

[quote name='0175westwood29' post='611408' date='Sep 28 2009, 10:52 PM']natural ability doesn't mean you needed to play a 5 string tho lol, stick with it tho man! 5 strings rule! as do 6 strings!

andy[/quote]

Kinda wishing I hadnt written that Andy as reading it back it makes me sound like a complete dick :)

Sorry people.

Edited by macp

There are no downsides to playing a 4 or 5 string bass, but it would be a mistake to keep changing back and forth between a 4 and a 5 while you are trying to acclimatise on the 5! Keep playing and getting better on the 5 and you'll be glad you stuck at it! If I can do it anyone can!

[quote name='chris_b' post='612703' date='Sep 30 2009, 01:23 AM']There are no downsides to playing a 4 or 5 string bass, but it would be a mistake to keep changing back and forth between a 4 and a 5 while you are trying to acclimatise on the 5! Keep playing and getting better on the 5 and you'll be glad you stuck at it! If I can do it anyone can![/quote]

Absolutely. The only downside is that you may feel guilty for owning some superb 4 stringers and not playing them :)

[quote name='macp' post='611205' date='Sep 28 2009, 08:15 PM']I am a new bass player and recently bought a new 5 string bass 2 or 3mths ago.Im fairly happy with my progress but Im concerned that I have perhaps made the wrong choice.I loaned a 4 string from my brother and I can really feel the difference.The space between the strings is great and I seem to be able to move around the fretboard a lot more easily without catching the wrong string.

The missus will cutoff my nads if I suggest changing to a 4 string which will probably cost me money ?

So do I stick at it or try to make the change to a 4 ?

Many thanks.[/quote]

Seeing your comments about string spacing and catching the wrong string, I wonder if you've just got a 5-string with a narrow neck. I had the same problem with my first 5, which had the same width at the nut as a 4-string P. Since then I've had a MIM Fender Jazz V and a Spector Rebop 5 and they're both much better. (Or yours might be too wide, depends on you.) So you might want to consider trying other 5s to see if you find one that suits you better.

[quote name='spinynorman' post='612970' date='Sep 30 2009, 01:54 PM']Seeing your comments about string spacing and catching the wrong string, I wonder if you've just got a 5-string with a narrow neck. I had the same problem with my first 5, which had the same width at the nut as a 4-string P. Since then I've had a MIM Fender Jazz V and a Spector Rebop 5 and they're both much better. (Or yours might be too wide, depends on you.) So you might want to consider trying other 5s to see if you find one that suits you better.[/quote]

No I dont think it is a narrow neck I think it is purely my lack of experience and that the strings are closer together than a 4 string.Thanks for the thought and for taking the time to post.

[quote name='chris_b' post='612703' date='Sep 30 2009, 01:23 AM']There are no downsides to playing a 4 or 5 string bass, but it would be a mistake to keep changing back and forth between a 4 and a 5 while you are trying to acclimatise on the 5! Keep playing and getting better on the 5 and you'll be glad you stuck at it! If I can do it anyone can![/quote]

Many thanks I do pickup the 5 each time I go up to my room to practice.I dont own a 4 but my brother has loaned me a cheap 4 string.

How long have you been playing ?

I watched a guy on Youtube and have been chatting with him.He has been playing for 7yrs and I was really impressed by his standard of play.