Why become a member? ×

I want a distortion that is so ridiculous

matt_citizenbass

That's definitely one of the best solutions. Although to avoid phase canellation it's a good idea to filter the lows out of the dirty rig. I really like the se clips of the Orange Tiny Terror:

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=560354"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=560354[/url]

[quote name='matt_citizenbass' post='610508' date='Sep 28 2009, 01:16 AM']i basically want to sound like Kurt Ballou ( guitarist fom converge) but on bass.

preferably not really expensive. Preferably no bass loss.

i want a pedal that also feedsback nicely as apposed to squeal annoyingly which my current distortion does right now.

no fuzzes. I play a lot of chords and i need the sound to be still detailed but heavy as hell.

has anyone got any pedal recomendations?

cheers,
Matt[/quote]

When I read the title of this thread the 1st pedal I thought of was the Boss ODB-3 but you said you dont want fuzz so that may be a no go (ODB-3 is kinda fuzzy sounding)

[quote name='matt_citizenbass' post='611098' date='Sep 28 2009, 06:25 PM']what does that mean? i guess it might not be my distortion but i've had it through every amp i've played through . I guess it could be my single jazz pickup?

in terms of tone. I'm not keen on valve amps, i've had a soundcity 120B and its lovely but not exactly for me. Plus i use about 30% clean sound so i need to have that of being able to go back to crisp and delicate... if ya get me....

a DHA has always appealed to me, how far gain can they go? would anyone care to share some soundclips?[/quote]
did you sell that 120 to greene king?

valve amps don't have to be dirty, have it running for distortion and use your volume knob to dial in a cleaner sound, either that or don't play as hard!

i suspect it's more down to recording techniques also, i've seen them live twice and the guitar is awesome but not got that brutality that u can hear on the records, particularly no heroes - this is helpful tho:

[url="http://acapella.harmony-central.com/archive/index.php/t-1540231.html"]a vaguely insightful discussion[/url]

Edited by ase_one23

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='611206' date='Sep 28 2009, 08:16 PM']

No idea who Kurt Ballou or Converge are (you should post some clips) but this is pretty ridiculous yet defined! [url="http://www.tonefactor.com/proddetail.php?prod=DirtyBomb"]$120 delivered[/url] (plus you won't get hit by customs charges :rolleyes:)[/quote]
sounds like thats a pedal for active basses, it sounds bloody awful with the P bass IMO. I like it when GAS gets killed :)

[quote name='ase_one23' post='616799' date='Oct 4 2009, 08:10 PM']saw [url="http://www.bass.se/2009/metaldrive.htm"]this[/url] , heard the samples, thought of this thread.[/quote]
could do with a blend on that just to retain some definition, the first four clips sound terrible haha. props on them using electric wizard riffs to demo it though!

I have five distortions on my pedalboard.

Here are my personal recommendations.

1) Gallien Krueger Diesel Dawg. I couldn't live without it. It's discontinued, enormous, heavy and very difficult to find. I've been trying to track down a spare for a while. If you find one, buy it. If it's not for you, sell it to me.

2) SansAmp Bass Driver and DI. In my view you can use this one either as a "colouring pedal" that will give a sort of SVT-ish tone to your sound, or as an overdrive. I particularly like the GK Diesel Dawg into the BDDI.

3) Digitech Bass Driver Overdrive/Distortion. Your mileage will vary with this one, but I like it as a sort of darker-sounding, more rounded alternative to the GKDD.

4) Electro-Harmonix Bass Big Muff. It's a big muff, but it doesn't steal your low-end. Good for what a big muff does.

5) Boss Bass Overdrive. I don't really like it, the range of tones is very limited and most settings sound like a bee in a jar. With very little drive and more gain and a good tweak of the EQ it is usable sparingly.

Here are some that have been on the pedalboard on and off:

Boss Turbo-Distortion (DS-2?): robs too much low-end.

Boss HM-2: love it on guitar, just about usable on bass with serious tweaking of the EQ. Good in a high-passed effects loop.

Boss OD-20: It's a modelling pedal, some of the models might appeal to you. Love it on guitar but on bass: meh.

DOD gonkulator. Discontinued, and rare as horse sh*t. If you want to make really horrible noises, this is it. It will make everything messy and out of tune. Probably not what you want.

Hope that will be of help to someone.

- martin

[quote name='umph' post='617371' date='Oct 5 2009, 01:10 PM']could do with a blend on that just to retain some definition, the first four clips sound terrible haha. props on them using electric wizard riffs to demo it though![/quote]

horses for courses - the 1st 4 were my fav!!!!!!

incidentally i notice you do the mammothsound pedals - i'll be in touch next month about one of those lofi - style ones you do!!!!

Edited by ase_one23