Why become a member? ×

Show us your playing videos!

budget bassist

[quote name='NowVertical' post='1152191' date='Mar 7 2011, 09:13 AM']Me from a few years back in a very rare rock excursion...

And last year after far too many beers. The party was for a close friend who preferred the band to have a good time rather than being our usual professional selves. All it took was a couple of mistakes by me at 3.32 and the whole band is suddenly looking around at each other with those eyes saying "how we gonna get out of this one".

[/quote]

Loved the first clip - very satriani, beck, bruce sounding. What gear were you using for it. Nice sound.

2nd clip looks like a good night was had and the mistake wasn't that bad - honest !!!. On the night, after a few beers it was probably just the band that noticed. LOL !!!

Cheers
Dave

:) :) :lol:

[quote name='gafbass02' post='1159800' date='Mar 12 2011, 08:14 PM']Look what i managed to post on youtube with a fellow basschatters help!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpUJntGtKdY"]Its me in colston hall in '05[/url]

still no idea how to make the picture thingy embed[/quote]

Nice ! liked it.

How many amps do you need at your end of the stage :) :) :lol:
I counted 5 rigs ?

Good stuff - looked like a great gig

Thanks
Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' post='1158980' date='Mar 12 2011, 08:48 AM']Loved the first clip - very satriani, beck, bruce sounding. What gear were you using for it. Nice sound.

2nd clip looks like a good night was had and the mistake wasn't that bad - honest !!!. On the night, after a few beers it was probably just the band that noticed. LOL !!!

Cheers
Dave

:) :) :lol:[/quote]

Thanks Dave...1st clip was my old ksd proto-J 5 string with the EBS circuit through a Warwick Profet head (provided by the main band so I do not know the model). To be honest what the camera mic is picking up is the foh sound so I would think the direct output from the head had very little colouration and what we are hearing is pretty much just the bass...Can't recommend KSD highly enough for a budget concious way of getting your hands on great playability and reasonable tone.

As for the second clip...as you say it was pretty much just the band that would have noticed...apparently according to the audience we were really tight :D.

1st take, so not 100 percent accurate, i also had some rendering/picture sound synchronization problems. so this is the best result i can get out of it. Before you ask, the sunglasses are not for sale^^ they belong to my wife :)

Edited by 73Jazz

[quote name='73Jazz' post='1166605' date='Mar 18 2011, 06:50 AM']Due to restrictions of WMG, you are not able to watch this in the USA( a friend of mine told me) and not in germany.
Are you able to watch that video above in the UK?[/quote]

I cant here in the UK. Ive not tried using a VPN but i would say most people here wont be able to view it.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1166828' date='Mar 18 2011, 12:01 PM']I cant here in the UK. Ive not tried using a VPN but i would say most people here wont be able to view it.[/quote]

Thank you very much, you may be so kind to use this link at youplayalong from marlowedk.
it has a really bad compression, but therefor no restrictions due to copyrights.
[url="http://www.youplayalong.com/video/5667a5c18a4f3cc/Love-Child-Bass-Cover-Deep-Purple-"]P with flats and a Song from 75[/url]

[url="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4194859/lc%20vitjo.mp3"]My original Soundfile from the Clip - 1964 P with Flats[/url]

Edited by 73Jazz

[quote name='geoffbassist' post='1166813' date='Mar 18 2011, 11:53 AM']Here's a short clip of me playing a funk line on upright.

[/quote]

I always feel respect for that hard work upright bassplayers have... on electric it's just a lot easier.
Nice thing which you have going and I love the feel and your timing, great ..

[quote name='wombatboter' post='1170609' date='Mar 21 2011, 06:14 PM']I always feel respect for that hard work upright bassplayers have... on electric it's just a lot easier.
Nice thing which you have going and I love the feel and your timing, great ..[/quote]

Yup that there is the real deal. Every time I try an upright it sounds like cow farting :)

[quote name='funkyhobbit' post='1170963' date='Mar 21 2011, 05:36 PM']Yup that there is the real deal. Every time I try an upright it sounds like cow farting :)[/quote]

Thanks a lot wombatboter and funkyhobbit! It's a bit out of tune up top but it often is :-)

...I enjoyed your playing funkyhobbit. Great bass too!

[quote name='geoffbassist' post='1171178' date='Mar 22 2011, 01:53 AM']Thanks a lot wombatboter and funkyhobbit! It's a bit out of tune up top but it often is :-)

...I enjoyed your playing funkyhobbit. Great bass too![/quote]

Thanks for your kind words, yea your right about being out of tune. The open string major 3rd chord things i was trying did sound out. I will have to check the intonation.
Best regards, Mark

[quote name='funkyhobbit' post='1171449' date='Mar 21 2011, 10:27 PM']Thanks for your kind words, yea your right about being out of tune. The open string major 3rd chord things i was trying did sound out. I will have to check the intonation.
Best regards, Mark[/quote]

Hi Mark. Sorry I ment that my playing was out of tune up top. Yours sounded great. I love the chords you play at the start.
Cheers Geoff

[quote name='geoffbassist' post='1171741' date='Mar 22 2011, 01:42 PM']Hi Mark. Sorry I ment that my playing was out of tune up top. Yours sounded great. I love the chords you play at the start.
Cheers Geoff[/quote]

Thanks Geoff, The chord thing is just a Stanley, Mark King, Jaco rip off. You yourself, have something completely original going on :)
Best regards, Mark

BTW for any of the bass chatters looking on this thread.
There are some great video contributions here from members I don’t really see posting in other topics very often.
I would love to see the main regular members who advise us on amp and bass guitar tone, contribute some videos.
I am a simple bloke. I will take advice and criticism of anyone if I think I can improve upon it.
The same comes to bass and amp selection. Some members give a great deal of opinions expertise and advice on "This bass and that amp etc”
Where possible I always trust my ears rather than my eyes when it comes to gear choice
I really would enjoy any new videos that the members have to offer.
Best regards, Mark

[quote name='funkyhobbit' post='1170975' date='Mar 21 2011, 05:51 PM']Speaking of cows farting,,,,, here is a vid I did yesterday whilst trying out my new Zoom Q3HD

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FE3FGgjGrs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FE3FGgjGrs[/url][/quote]

Excellent! Fankx FH. I have been thinking about grabbing a Q3HD - though it's not too high on the priority list at the moment - it's great to see it in action!

[quote name='gafbass02' post='1174935' date='Mar 24 2011, 05:12 PM']Heres another one of my old band Double Cross, here we are playing our title track at Bristol Colston Hall in 2005, I like this one :-)
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG-B4Mbqgds"]DOUBLE CROSS[/url][/quote]

You certainly look like your enjoying yourself.