Why become a member? ×

Best way to clean manky frets?

Bassmonkey

Buy a polish impregnated jewellers cloth & buff 'em up with that - they'll clean up a treat & with no mess.

A more labour intensive method (if your frets are REALLY sh*tty) is to use fine wire wool, but you'll have to mask off the fingerboard between the frets & be careful that no bits of wire wool get into you pickup magnets.

...and if you're [i]really [/i]worried about damage, Stewmac do little protective 'fingerboard guards' you hold over the board, with a little 'letter-box' for the fret to poke through:

[url="http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_supplies/Polishing_and_abrasives/Fingerboard_Guards.html"]http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_suppl...ard_Guards.html[/url]

Edited by skankdelvar

No no no!! ;-)
seriously try gorgomyte. Its made by jimmy johnson the Styx guitar tech. Ever since he showed me the stuff I've been a huge believer in it and would be happy to push it on people. It really is that good! Warwicks look especially good when cleaned up with it. Maple boards need a bit more care or a good clean after but it's so cheap from the states and I just can't recommend it enough. Seriously all of you give it a whirl, you'll be bowled over!
Apparently it's what the fender custom shop use too

:-D glowing recommendation y'know!

Masking tape between the frets and liquid brasso (it's not abrasive). Use the same bit of cloth and very little polish and it works a treat
I've also polished up and removed marks from g**tar frets using 400 grade wet and dry followed by 0000 wire wool and then finished with the Brasso. Time-consuming but silky smooth frets.
I've read that you can use Brasso on varnished maple fret boards too but not tried this and it sounds a bit messy.