Why become a member? ×

Bass Horror

Darcy

[quote name='Tinman' post='63924' date='Sep 22 2007, 09:13 AM']That's just obscene :) If an instrument gets worn through use, then fair enough but to do that is just wrong.[/quote]

You have gone and spoiled all my fun now :huh:

I was going to 'do' your Shuker as your surprise Christmas present :huh:

Oh well, guess I'll just have to think of something else :huh:

[quote name='Mrs Tinman' post='63931' date='Sep 22 2007, 09:37 AM']You have gone and spoiled all my fun now :)

I was going to 'do' your Shuker as your surprise Christmas present :huh:

Oh well, guess I'll just have to think of something else :huh:[/quote]

If you come anywhere near my Shuker with anything more abrasive than a duster, it will be you getting the file treatment, I kid you not woman.

[quote name='Tinman' post='63932' date='Sep 22 2007, 09:39 AM']If you come anywhere near my Shuker with anything more abrasive than a duster, it will be you getting the file treatment, I kid you not woman.[/quote]

i see a divorce coming on... yes i can imagine tinman now, sitting in the house on his own, only his basses and the computer for company :)

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='63952' date='Sep 22 2007, 10:25 AM']Next time someone need a definition of the word dickhead, they should be referred to this video.

It sounds like the customer wanted a jaco bass so they offered to relic a mex std, not having the slightest idea how to do it or the differences between lacquer and poly finishes.[/quote]
Summed it up nicely. Tossers.

I can see little point in Relicing a guitar at all, but people do do it, even the Fender custom shop. So if other people want to do it, with files, sandpaper, whatever, then it really doesn't bother me. If the customer said he wanted it relicing then surely the shop doing for him is just good customer service?

Clive.

[quote name='Clive Thorne' post='64051' date='Sep 22 2007, 03:29 PM']If the customer said he wanted it relicing then surely the shop doing for him is just good customer service?[/quote]

I partly agree, but the actual relicing process takes quite a while in itself: you need to soak the nickel parts in vinegar for a week if nothing else. They clearly offered a service that they had no idea how to do, which is very wrong.

[quote name='Mrs Tinman' post='63931' date='Sep 22 2007, 09:37 AM']I was going to 'do' your Shuker as your surprise Christmas present :)[/quote]

There are worse ideas*.

Here's a 70 page tutorial on how to do it.

[url="http://www.ibanezpodxt.com/RelicTutorial.pdf"]http://www.ibanezpodxt.com/RelicTutorial.pdf[/url]

The key seems to be to take it all to bits and do them individually (don't loose any of them now, unless that's part of the look), and also remember you're aiming to make it look like it's been held and loved for many years, not like it's been abused for the same length of time.

D.

* ok, not many, but there are some.

Edited by Alpha-Dave