Why become a member? ×

Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout at 2 ohms????

EssentialTension

[quote name='Musicman20' post='594363' date='Sep 9 2009, 10:17 PM']Looks like a good bit of kit.

Who has tried the head through larger cabinets???!?!?![/quote]

I own one of the new blackface amps, and have done a few gigs with the head through an Ampeg 8x10. It was quite frankly awesome and I had no problem being heard despite the two guitarists round me using two Marshall 4x12s each on both sides of the stage! It does snarl and growl when you crank it, which I really love, though I think you have to take care with the gain and master volume, as it is very easy to overdo it when playing a hot active bass. If you are looking for lots and lots of clean headroom I would maybe suggest a bigger amp.

I haven't tried it at 2 ohms though, as I generally just use it with the 1x15 cabinet the head originally came in. A lot of people seem to run it at 2 ohms without problem, but knowing my luck my amp would die on me if I tried!

In my opinion it is fantastic amp and very 'tubey' for being a hybrid.

Expensive but just about worth it as a combo/stand alone head package

[quote name='Musicman20' post='594363' date='Sep 9 2009, 10:17 PM']Looks like a good bit of kit.

Who has tried the head through larger cabinets???!?!?![/quote]
I've taken to using mine with 2 x Berg HS210s. It's a very different tone to the MPulse, and incredibly tubey. Probably the tubiest hybrid there is... and very loud.

So...Im still asking about this WA on offer. Its apparently still brand new as its with the guitar stock downstairs and virtually no guitarist knows what it is. I might ask for a few photos.

Hmm...more Berg 112 cabs, or the awesome little WA 12?

Its the latest model with one input, just bought before the price rise. And, they have the 15 version same ish price, obviously bit higher, BUT thats still much cheaper than the new prices.

They say its new, not a demo, just been on shop floor as a lot of stuff is I guess.

Same guarantee and all the bits, plus 7 days money back if I dont like it...

[quote name='Toasted' post='599230' date='Sep 15 2009, 02:07 PM']How are you guys running the EQ on yours? It's a bloody mystery to me.[/quote]

fdeck's frequency analyser (it's free and simple) does a great job of demystifying tone controls - connect head to soundcard and watch how the knobs affect the response plot. I was amazed to see what happens with the SWR Aural Enhancer!

Alex

[quote name='Toasted' post='599230' date='Sep 15 2009, 02:07 PM']As mentioned before I have the Combo and Extension cab. It's a nice amp. I am happy with it.

How are you guys running the EQ on yours? It's a bloody mystery to me.[/quote]
I just copied the settings in the manual as I am a techno-idiot!

Well guys....here is a lowdown on what happened today. I am disappointed yet again.

I do not like picking fault with stores, but this wound me up a lot. I don’t want a fellow bassist spending his hard earned cash and getting ripped off.

Short story version is, GuitarGuitar have these advertised on their site for £1085. Cheaper than normal? Yes. A pretty alright price for a retailer to expect a potential buyer to pay considering it’s a shop floor highly expensive boutique amp that’s been sat around a bit? Yes!

So, the Newcastle branch say they are in via email. I email and ask if it’s the newer version with one input. They call me, and say they checked, and that they ASSURE me it is the latest model.

The amp is based in the Glasgow. So, they put me onto them, telling me its NO MORE than 6 months old.

Glasgow store say its new stock, not ex-demo, and definitely a brilliant amp that isn’t just an old shop floor one.

Guess what; I ask for photos, it’s the OLD model….with two inputs. It’s dusty as hell, and the corners have all kinds of scrapes on them. Still looks awesome as Mesa’s do, but I am NOT paying that kind of money for something that isn’t the latest model.

£1085?

No thanks.

Ill be wary of them from now on. This is why I hate ‘general’ music store. Ive never had these problems with the Bass Merchant.

This is just the same as my problems with PMT in Leeds when they sold me a ‘new’ Jazz bass that was actually a demo, marked to hell, dodgy paint, etc. I took that back as well. I reported them to Fender and Orange, as they tried to sell me a battered OBC115, and said they were not allowed to order a new one in. Guess what, I ask Orange, and they will always supply fresh stock to customers at the same price.

The lesson? Don’t trust certain stores without checking the items!

The only exception ive found so far is my small local Orange dealer, Bass Merchant, and Bass Direct.

So, let this be a warning to you.

They did just email to apologise and then said their best price is now £1450! Nope thanks, not after all that!

Rant over. Sorry to bring the thread down, but it needed saying. Glad no-one went for this particular combo on a GAS attack.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='599501' date='Sep 15 2009, 06:51 PM']Well guys....here is a lowdown on what happened today. I am disappointed yet again.

I do not like picking fault with stores, but this wound me up a lot. I don’t want a fellow bassist spending his hard earned cash and getting ripped off.

Short story version is, GuitarGuitar have these advertised on their site for £1085. Cheaper than normal? Yes. A pretty alright price for a retailer to expect a potential buyer to pay considering it’s a shop floor highly expensive boutique amp that’s been sat around a bit? Yes!

So, the Newcastle branch say they are in via email. I email and ask if it’s the newer version with one input. They call me, and say they checked, and that they ASSURE me it is the latest model.

The amp is based in the Glasgow. So, they put me onto them, telling me its NO MORE than 6 months old.

Glasgow store say its new stock, not ex-demo, and definitely a brilliant amp that isn’t just an old shop floor one.

Guess what; I ask for photos, it’s the OLD model….with two inputs. It’s dusty as hell, and the corners have all kinds of scrapes on them. Still looks awesome as Mesa’s do, but I am NOT paying that kind of money for something that isn’t the latest model.

£1085?

No thanks.

Ill be wary of them from now on. This is why I hate ‘general’ music store. Ive never had these problems with the Bass Merchant.

This is just the same as my problems with PMT in Leeds when they sold me a ‘new’ Jazz bass that was actually a demo, marked to hell, dodgy paint, etc. I took that back as well. I reported them to Fender and Orange, as they tried to sell me a battered OBC115, and said they were not allowed to order a new one in. Guess what, I ask Orange, and they will always supply fresh stock to customers at the same price.

The lesson? Don’t trust certain stores without checking the items!

The only exception ive found so far is my small local Orange dealer, Bass Merchant, and Bass Direct.

So, let this be a warning to you.

They did just email to apologise and then said their best price is now £1450! Nope thanks, not after all that!

Rant over. Sorry to bring the thread down, but it needed saying. Glad no-one went for this particular combo on a GAS attack.[/quote]
Well a sad story but at least you didn't fall for it. I felt myself there was something wrong with their price - probably that it was an older model, shop-soiled etc or that it was a return with problems.

And they couldn't even be bothered to dust it before they photographed it. Useless.

I bought my Walkabout 1X12 from GuitarGuitar. It was the original two input model. I had all sorts of problems with it which the distributors (also based in Glasgow) did their best to sort out. After a few attempts they decided to replace it with a new one which was the new one input model. It has been great. I sometimes wonder what happened to my old two input model..........................

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='602154' date='Sep 18 2009, 12:51 PM']Did it cut out, by any chance...?[/quote]

Not exactly. The volume would suddenly reduce and then after a period of time would come back again. The distributor thought that it was down to the connectors for the valves or the input jack. They even tried a new driver but couldn't get to the bottom of the problem. Hence the replacement. I've not had any problems since.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='594970' date='Sep 10 2009, 06:18 PM']I wasn't tempted enough by the price compared to what I played for non-display that was local and I could actually try first and easily take back for service if needs be.[/quote]

Which shop local to Brighton did you get it from?

[quote name='alexharvay' post='602182' date='Sep 18 2009, 01:20 PM']Which shop local to Brighton did you get it from?[/quote]
GAK. They were good enough to get it on sale or return from whoever the UK Mesa distributors are. They don't normally keep them in stock although they do have some Mesa stuff.

[quote name='Hutton' post='602126' date='Sep 18 2009, 12:25 PM']I bought my Walkabout 1X12 from GuitarGuitar. It was the original two input model. I had all sorts of problems with it which the distributors (also based in Glasgow) did their best to sort out. After a few attempts they decided to replace it with a new one which was the new one input model. It has been great. I sometimes wonder what happened to my old two input model..........................[/quote]
I think we know what happened to it, don't we. :)

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='602211' date='Sep 18 2009, 01:42 PM']GAK. They were good enough to get it on sale or return from whoever the UK Mesa distributors are. They don't normally keep them in stock although they do have some Mesa stuff.[/quote]

Sweet, that's where I'll go then. I want to give the Orange bass terror a go as well before I fork out for one or the other.

[quote name='alexharvay' post='602234' date='Sep 18 2009, 02:18 PM']Sweet, that's where I'll go then. I want to give the Orange bass terror a go as well before I fork out for one or the other.[/quote]
They could only get the Walkabout on sale or return because the UK distributor already had some (I don't know how many) in stock. If it was going to come from Mesa in the US they were going to want a deposit before it was ordered.

It's worth phoning them in advance to see what they've got in stock.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='Musicman20' post='602379' date='Sep 18 2009, 05:29 PM']As if the cheeky buggers!

They promised it wasnt a return.

Ill never be going to GuitarGuitar again.[/quote]
Nor me but be thankful that you (like me) were smart enough to think that the price was just too low and that there had a be a catch otherwise you might have just hit the 'buy' button.

[quote name='Nodd' post='603578' date='Sep 20 2009, 02:06 PM']What exactly are the changes on the new model/ one input instaed of the passive and active?
Nodd[/quote]
Separate passive and active inputs are replaced by single input and passive/active switch. And it's black rather than silver. I think that's all. Someone else may know better.