Why become a member? ×

Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout at 2 ohms????

EssentialTension

Today I was lucky enough to be able to buy a Walkabout Scout 112. Actually, it was more that I was unable to resist buying it. :)

It sounds very good. :rolleyes:

How many of you are running one of these at 2 ohms?

The owner's manual says: 'Minimum load rating is 2 Ohms and while the Walkabout will handle this lower load condition [...] it is not recommended. Prolonged use at a 2 Ohm load will cause the power mosfets to run hot causing the protection circuit to trigger and mute the output signal until such time as the mosfets return to safe operating temperature. Avoid using 2 Ohm loads whenever possible.'

What is your experience?

[quote name='odub' post='594048' date='Sep 9 2009, 05:05 PM']Never done in but lots of online instances of people doing it without problem.

Finding an ext cab for less that £500 not so easy.[/quote]
+1 to both!

Toasted (aka Joe) has the stack and it looks very good. I have tried (via Items Wanted) to track down a used 112 cab to no avail and a new one is actually up to about £600 now :)

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='odub' post='594048' date='Sep 9 2009, 05:05 PM']Never done in but lots of online instances of people doing it without problem.

Finding an ext cab for less that £500 not so easy.[/quote]

[quote name='Clarky' post='594055' date='Sep 9 2009, 05:09 PM']+1 to both!

Toasted (aka Joe) has the stack and it looks very good. I have tried (via Items Wanted) to track down a used 112 cab to no avail and a new one is actually up to about £600 now :)[/quote]

Yeah, Toasted's stack looks cool, sounds cool too I should think.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='594138' date='Sep 9 2009, 06:11 PM']I want one but I cant justify the NEW price tag. £1400?![/quote]
Well, I did buy a new one and I did get to try it first. I beat the price you quote and got what I felt was a more than fair trade-in value on some other gear. However, as you imply, they are expensive new. My 'justification' was that I couldn't bear the GAS any longer once I'd tried it out and they appear second-hand fairly irregularly. Now I can't wait for next week's rehearsal and gig.

Another way of looking at it is that the cost of individual head plus cab of comparable quality would be >£1000, eg, a MarkBass R500 head plus a MarkBass 112 cab would set you back around £800+£500 = £1300.

As it happens I got mine second-hand (on BC) for £700 :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='594363' date='Sep 9 2009, 10:17 PM']Looks like a good bit of kit.

Who has tried the head through larger cabinets???!?!?![/quote]
wateroftyne said in a post a couple of days ago he had been using the head separately. Maybe drop him a PM?

Well

Ive scouted about (like the connection!) and ive managed to find one of these amps that is new, the one with one input, with all the mesa bits apart from the box. Its been on display as most amps have, but watched over carefully.

Im not going to say how much....haha....or where...yet, as I might just get it.

Put it this way, its less than £1100 brand new!

Do I trust the store and go ahead?

Thanks

[quote name='Musicman20' post='594959' date='Sep 10 2009, 06:02 PM']Well

Ive scouted about (like the connection!) and ive managed to find one of these amps that is new, the one with one input, with all the mesa bits apart from the box. Its been on display as most amps have, but watched over carefully.

Im not going to say how much....haha....or where...yet, as I might just get it.

Put it this way, its less than £1100 brand new!

Do I trust the store and go ahead?

Thanks[/quote]
If that's where I think it is, then I considered that one too. Did you ring them?

I wasn't tempted enough by the price compared to what I played for non-display that was local and I could actually try first and easily take back for service if needs be.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='594970' date='Sep 10 2009, 06:18 PM']If that's where I think it is, then I considered that one too. Did you ring them?

I wasn't tempted enough by the price compared to what I played for non-display that was local and I could actually try first and easily take back for service if needs be.[/quote]

Yeah you probably found it too.

I asked on price on a new stock item and he said £1480, so I said no chance.

I cant decide! They said I have a 7 day money back guarantee!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='594984' date='Sep 10 2009, 06:31 PM']Yeah you probably found it too.

I asked on price on a new stock item and he said £1480, so I said no chance.

I cant decide! They said I have a 7 day money back guarantee![/quote]
Are you near enough to go and see it, try it, first?

[quote name='Musicman20' post='595046' date='Sep 10 2009, 07:33 PM']Nah.....right up in Scotland!

:)

If they could guarantee it was actually brand new and not ex demo...id be more serious about it.[/quote]
Even at that price it's a lot of money if you're not sure what you're getting. I'd wondered if it might be a return.