Why become a member? ×

Giving up on going smaller/lighter with cabs?!

Musicman20

I've been round in circles about cabs, for months.

I have fat too many mid sized cab, but I enjoy them all.....I dont want to sell any.

Tried loads of combinations, looked at lots of prices.

Moving to London will mean I need something smaller for certain gigs, plus me and the girlfriend are selling the car if we live fairly central.

Any ideas?!

Scrap it and just take the LM3 and/or good DI like Tonehammer/BDDI?

OR....is there a holy grail of small and awesome tone bass cab out there. I mean 1x12 small, x2 basically, or a small 2x10. So its micro rigs basically, which work with the LM3. Not bothered if its not massively loud, as long as it sounds awesome.

Maybe I should just go for a PJ Combo?!

ARGHHHGHGHHGH

Edited by Musicman20

I am really craving a midget to go with my shuttle 6.0. Be perfect for the small folk punk gigs I play and usually walk to or take public transport. Plan is GB + Midget for small gigs, GB + Compact when the transport is available and GB + Midget + Compact if any of the rock and metal bands I jam with get their act together.

I was looking at Bergantino and Markbass cabs, with emphasis on Berg due to how happy I am with the HS410. But, and the big but, it it really worth getting 2 1x12s when all in all lightweight 2x12s arent that much lighter than my Aguilar DB212 cabs. Not only that, the price on new Berg gear is astronomical and I could get a lot with 1100+ quid.

Pretty open minded to other stuff....

I think im asking too much or Im being too picky.

[quote name='Clarky' post='592581' date='Sep 8 2009, 12:23 AM']I have a Mesa Walkabout - its big enough for virtually all of the 'punk/alternative' venues eg, we played with it tonight at the Purple Turtle in Camden. Great sounds (due to tube preamp) and plenty loud, plus very one-hand-lift portable[/quote]

See if I hadnt gone for the LM3, I would go for something like this....without a doubt. Its a shame guitarguitar decided a new one ordered in (eg not display stock) would be an extra £500, (with regards to the Mesa WA).

I really need to try keep with the LM3 as I really like it, but get an awesome small cab or two.

How was the speaker in your old MB combo?

[quote name='Musicman20' post='592584' date='Sep 8 2009, 12:26 AM']See if I hadnt gone for the LM3, I would go for something like this....without a doubt. Its a shame guitarguitar decided a new one ordered in (eg not display stock) would be an extra £500, (with regards to the Mesa WA).

I really need to try keep with the LM3 as I really like it, but get an awesome small cab or two.

How was the speaker in your old MB combo?[/quote]
I had only one complaint with my Jeff berlin combo and that was the lack of a valve preamp - everything else about it was great, the build, the weight, the portability, the range of clean tones. Of course I could get around the valve issue via a Sansamp VT Bass or BDDI but I am a simpleton and like to have it all in one nice package - hence Mesa. If you already have the LM3 (which was the head in teh Jeff Berlin) then a 151 cab should be plenty for 99% of London gigs.

MM20... get yourself a Markbass carry bag in the shape of a backpack, get a good solid and safe gtr bag that goes over the shoulder and then you carry in the 2 1x12's in each hand. That way you turn up at the gig with one carry which sounds very useful if you don't have a car..

I still get plenty of advice to go for two 1x12 x 2....which makes sense. I also am advised that 1x12s are only a little lighter when neo, and not really worth it for the slight loss of ceramic 'grunt'. Eg, if its a 1x12 get the best ceramic 1x12.This was from a professional player who owns his own store. Hmmm.

The people who claim ceramic magnets cause some special 'grunt' are akin to those that once claimed you had to use fifteens for bass, then that 8x10"s were the only thing to have, then that only guitar players use twelves, and so on and so forth. And probably very much like those who said that funny big four stringed guitar would never catch on. Or those automobile things because you had to have a man with a flag walking in front so you couldn't go fast anyway...

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='595991' date='Sep 11 2009, 07:40 PM']The people who claim ceramic magnets cause some special 'grunt' are akin to those that once claimed you had to use fifteens for bass, then that 8x10"s were the only thing to have, then that only guitar players use twelves, and so on and so forth. And probably very much like those who said that funny big four stringed guitar would never catch on. Or those automobile things because you had to have a man with a flag walking in front so you couldn't go fast anyway...

Alex[/quote]

I can totally see where you are coming from. I agree. But, there is DEFINITELY a different tone on the ceramic vs neo...I tested the two high end Berg 1x12 mini-stacks. The ceramic had tons more...how can I put it, smooth and chunky roundness, ignoring the tweet. The neo sounded great, but more light and aggressive.

I have Neo's in my Goliath 2x10 as the PAs speakers blew and I couldn't get them replaced here... or rather repaired.

I am really rather liking the Neo's in the cab now and although I didn't AB them... both me and my mate who did the same, reckon the Neos are a better swap in this instance..
For 1x12's I wouldn't be fussed as weight wouldn't be a factor..sound would be, of course..

[quote name='Musicman20' post='596057' date='Sep 11 2009, 09:18 PM']....there is DEFINITELY a different tone on the ceramic vs neo...I tested the two high end Berg 1x12 mini-stacks. The ceramic had tons more...how can I put it, smooth and chunky roundness, ignoring the tweet. The neo sounded great, but more light and aggressive.[/quote]

Not doubting what you are hearing at all, but the reason is probably that the drivers themselves are possible not the same spec in that instance. perhaps even the cabs are tuned differently.

If you get a neo driver and a standard ceramic driver that are designed to the same freq spec you should not hear a difference.

People always will of course..... :)

As has been said say though, 1x12's even with standard drivers are not heavy. My Aguilar GS112's are an easy one hand lift, but are now classed by some as 'heavy' in the small cabs bracket...

Size is probably a bigger factor for more people than weight.

Edited by david_l_perry

[quote name='david_l_perry' post='596127' date='Sep 11 2009, 10:51 PM']Not doubting what you are hearing at all, but the reason is probably that the drivers themselves are possible not the same spec in that instance. perhaps even the cabs are tuned differently.

If you get a neo driver and a standard ceramic driver that are designed to the same freq spec you should not hear a difference.

People always will of course..... :)

As has been said say though, 1x12's even with standard drivers are not heavy. My Aguilar GS112's are an easy one hand lift, but are now classed by some as 'heavy' in the small cabs bracket...

Size is probably a bigger factor for more people than weight.[/quote]

Size is definitely something id rather consider. Hence I need the 1x12s....anything larger and I may as well use my medium sized cabs.

I still think the AEs were a great sound...and lighter.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='596057' date='Sep 11 2009, 09:18 PM']I can totally see where you are coming from. I agree. But, there is DEFINITELY a different tone on the ceramic vs neo...I tested the two high end Berg 1x12 mini-stacks. The ceramic had tons more...how can I put it, smooth and chunky roundness, ignoring the tweet. The neo sounded great, but more light and aggressive.[/quote]

There is indeed a difference between the sound of those two cabs but it isn't because of the magnet materials, it's because of factors such a cone mass, cone stiffness, dustcap composition, suspension compliance, magnet strength and gap size, voice coil size, etc. You can easily make a neo magnet speaker sound identical to a ferrite magnet speaker if you wish to do so.

Alex