Why become a member? ×

Refinished Fender Precision 1964

mattbass6

[color="#483D8B"][size=3][b]This wonderful bass has a new home. Thank you everyone for talking to me about it and for enlightening me in so many areas. Never again laugh.gif This place is brilliant and I look forward to taking part in more discussions with you all. Take care.

Cheers,

Matt[/b][/size]
[/color]

[size=3][font="Arial"]I am selling my rather beautiful, original 1964 Fender Precision bass. Serial number L26409. This was made in the Fullerton factory when Leo Fender still owned the company. It is in great condition for its age and never gets used, hence the sale. The pick-ups and scratch plate (this has been replaced with a genuine Fender part) are not original as they were stolen about 10 years ago along with various other items during a house break in :) The pick ups in the bass are Seymour Duncan quarter pounders and sound wonderful Everything else on this bass is original. It comes with a hard case too. Let me know your thoughts and please PM with any offers. No trades please as I am not looking for another bass at this stage. Thanks and hopefully hear from you soon.[/font][/size]

Edited by mattbass6

[quote name='Sibob' post='592131' date='Sep 7 2009, 02:45 PM']Amazing condition!

So you have a price in mind to give people an idea?

Si[/quote]

Hi Si,

Nice to hear from you. The bass is in quite superb condition. It has never been gigged. I just used it in my studio along with my 1986 Japanese P-Bass. I now just use 6 string basses, so this really is sat there doing nothing, hence the condition. With regards to price, I have spoken to a few respected dealers and they stated that if I had had the original pick-ups, I could be looking at around the £3,000 mark but because of the pick ups I am really looking at the £2500 mark. I hope that helps and take care.

Cheers,

Matt

Edited by mattbass6

[quote name='jonthebass' post='592195' date='Sep 7 2009, 04:16 PM']Ah Man, G-A-S!
I can't afford it sadly but who needs a CS Pino with this available...Clarky :)[/quote]
Lovely bass. If only I had this sort of cash available! All spent out though. Good luck with sale

[quote name='Clarky' post='592199' date='Sep 7 2009, 04:24 PM']Lovely bass. If only I had this sort of cash available! All spent out though. Good luck with sale[/quote]

Thanks guys. I have had quite a few enquiries which is always nice :) I'll keep you posted but in the mean time, if you know anyone that might be interested, then let me know. Cheers and take care.

Matt

[quote name='mattbass6' post='592129' date='Sep 7 2009, 02:40 PM'][size=3][font="Arial"]I am selling my rather beautiful, original 1964 Fender Precision bass. Serial number L26409. This was made in the Fullerton factory when Leo Fender still owned the company. It is in great condition for its age and never gets used, hence the sale. The pick-ups and scratch plate (this has been replaced with a genuine Fender part) are not original as they were stolen about 10 years ago along with various other items during a house break in :) The pick ups in the bass are Seymour Duncan quarter pounders and sound wonderful Everything else on this bass is original. It comes with a hard case too. Let me know your thoughts and please PM with any offers. No trades please as I am not looking for another bass at this stage. Thanks and hopefully hear from you soon.[/font][/size][/quote]

Can I ask has it been refinished? The body + the neck / headstock?
Thanks.

[quote name='99ster' post='592227' date='Sep 7 2009, 04:55 PM']Can I ask has it been refinished? The body + the neck / headstock?
Thanks.[/quote]

Hi there. No, this bass has not been refinished. I bought it in good condition and just looked after it. I have never gigged it, so it has just been sat with me in my studio or in its case. I hope that helps. Take care.

Cheers,

Matt

[quote name='Tait' post='592346' date='Sep 7 2009, 07:00 PM']just out of curiosity, how did someone steal the pickups and scratchplate but not the bass?[/quote]

I leave all my basses bar one, in a safe and secure lock up. At the time, I had swapped the pups and scratch plate and they remained with me in my house where as the basses were in the lock up. When my house got broken into, they nicked my stereo, CDs, spare bass at the time (a Washburn 6 string) plus my box of spares which included the pups and scratch plate. I hope that helps Tait. Not a happy story but so glad I decided to keep the basses else where. I am now in a very secure neighbourhood but my gear is still locked away where I know it is safe. :)

[quote name='mattbass6' post='592383' date='Sep 7 2009, 07:34 PM']I leave all my basses bar one, in a safe and secure lock up. At the time, I had swapped the pups and scratch plate and they remained with me in my house where as the basses were in the lock up. When my house got broken into, they nicked my stereo, CDs, spare bass at the time (a Washburn 6 string) plus my box of spares which included the pups and scratch plate. I hope that helps Tait. Not a happy story but so glad I decided to keep the basses else where. I am now in a very secure neighbourhood but my gear is still locked away where I know it is safe. :rolleyes:[/quote]

haha fair enough, i figured they weren't attached to the bass at the time, but i didn't quite understand why someone would see a bass sat there and only steal the spares sat at the side :)

[quote name='Tait' post='592412' date='Sep 7 2009, 08:08 PM']haha fair enough, i figured they weren't attached to the bass at the time, but i didn't quite understand why someone would see a bass sat there and only steal the spares sat at the side :)[/quote]

:rolleyes: no problem my friend.

[quote name='SpinalTap' post='592470' date='Sep 7 2009, 09:36 PM']Great looking Fender. Love the colour.
If I'm not mistaken that is not an orginal bridge for a '64. It looks like something Fender used from '68 for there basses.[/quote]

Hi ST,

The bridge is the one it came with when I bought it back in 1987, so I couldn't really comment on the bridge year as it has always been on there. I still have the bridge cover, but have not put it back on. As far as I am aware, it is the original bridge but I will obviously take advice. Thanks for the post and take care.

Cheers,

Matt

[quote name='rodney72a' post='592607' date='Sep 8 2009, 01:06 AM']Bridge on a 64 would have threaded saddles not the single-groove ones. Decal also looks like a replacement.[/quote]

Not wishing to stir things up here but you didn't buy the Bass from Denmark Street did you?.

[quote name='SS73' post='592765' date='Sep 8 2009, 11:42 AM']Not wishing to stir things up here but you didn't buy the Bass from Denmark Street did you?.[/quote]

Hi SS73. No I didn't buy it from Denmark street. It was bought as a private sale back in 1987. I have been speaking to a few mods on this site and a few Fender experts and I am now going to add some extra pictures plus some more blurb. See below. Take care.

Cheers,

Matt

Hi everyone,

There seems to be a lot of talk here about my bass and I really do appreciate all your input and comments. Just to clear something up before I start if you don't mind? I bought this bass in good faith back in 1987 from a private seller. As I have stated, the only changes I have made since then are the changing of the pick ups and the scratch plate. The original scratch plate was replaced for a mirrored one in 1989 and the pick ups back in 1990. Again, as stated, the pick ups and scratch plate were consequently stolen in a house burglary much to my dismay. Since then, no other changes have been made, I promise you.

Now it seems there is a query over the decal and bridge. I have to be honest, I wouldn't know the difference between a '64 or '69 bridge if it jumped up and bit me on the bum, but I will take advice quite willingly. Also, I really wouldn't know if the neck has been refinished as this is how it came to me. Again, I am open to advice.

Today I took more pictures (sorry that some are not so clear, but I have tried to get every detail as much as my camera would allow) for you of the neck joint and heal where the letters "5MAY64C" are written and also pictures of the body minus the current scratch plate. I promise you that if you need to know anything more, please feel free to get in touch and I will do all I can to help you out. Thanks so much everyone for all you have done to shed some light on this bass, if nothing else I have learned an awful lot about Fender basses, which can't be a bad thing :)

So here goes, pictures below. Take care and thanks again.

Cheers,

Matthew

P.S. If anyone wants to see this bass 1st hand and take it apart, then you are more than welcome. I am based in Cardiff.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='592796' date='Sep 8 2009, 12:21 PM']Hello Matt!

Thanks for posting the pics. They confirm that it is a refin.

Michael WoT[/quote]

Thanks Michael. I have sent you a PM but out of interest, does anybody know what this would be worth if it is a refinish? Take care,

Cheers,

Matt

i am by no means a fender expert, but without the original pickup, pickguard or finish, its gunna be less than what you may have hope for. Stupid as it is, people get so anal about how original the instrument is. This is more of a players bass than a collectors.

[quote name='Kev' post='592826' date='Sep 8 2009, 12:50 PM']i am by no means a fender expert, but without the original pickup, pickguard or finish, its gunna be less than what you may have hope for. Stupid as it is, people get so anal about how original the instrument is. This is more of a players bass than a collectors.[/quote]

Hi Kev, yeah I kind of gathered it wasn't going to be worth what I thought it was worth. If any body wants to make me an offer for it, then I am open to that. Thanks Kev and take care.

Cheers,

Matt

Matt,
sorry for my post, I hadn't wanted it to come out the way it did, most of the guys here take Denmark St as a bit of a joke, but that tongue in cheek has not really helped you.
I actually think the bass looks funking great n would love have the bass off you.

Best, Sean.

You may get more by selling it through vintage and rare or similar who have a shop in Bath which isn't far from you.

Although it isn't original the neck alone could be worth a lot of money so I would consider having its value appraised. Although V&R take commission from any sale they have contacts and customers etc who are willing to pay more than the average punter on here.

A refin would approximately half the value in collectors eyes as a general principle.

Steve

[quote name='SS73' post='592850' date='Sep 8 2009, 01:06 PM']Matt,
sorry for my post, I hadn't wanted it to come out the way it did, most of the guys here take Denmark St as a bit of a joke, but that tongue in cheek has not really helped you.
I actually think the bass looks funking great n would love have the bass off you.

Best, Sean.[/quote]

Hey Sean,

Not a problem mate and I didn't take any offence. The bass is ace and I have leaned an awful lot of the past 2 days, so not all wasted :)

Anyway, take care and hopefully speak again soon.

Cheers,

Matt